TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Firestarter

9/11/03

they were attacked because the terrorists are evil and wanted to cause as much havoc as possible

True. But why choose the United States? Canada, to take a random example, also has a different (majority) religion. Canadians and Americans have comparable standards of living; certainly, any difference is infinitesimally smaller than the difference between Canadians and Arabs. Why not Canada? Why not France? Why not Italy?

Because neither Canada, nor France, nor Italy is as implacable and deadly a threat to tyranny.

Because America is known throughout the world as a beacon of liberty, justice, and tolerance.

Because America is the most powerful nation in the history of the world.

We were attacked because we are Americans.

It's more the fact that America has some of the most noticeable landmarks in the world. Where outside America could have been attacked that provoked so much media coverage and spread the word of Bin Ladin?

Big Ben, Effiel Tower, Arc de Triomphe, Westminster Abbey, Windsor Castle, CN Tower...

they were attacked because the terrorists are evil and wanted to cause as much havoc as possible

True. But why choose the United States? Canada, to take a random example, also has a different (majority) religion. Canadians and Americans have comparable standards of living; certainly, any difference is infinitesimally smaller than the difference between Canadians and Arabs. Why not Canada? Why not France? Why not Italy?

Because neither Canada, nor France, nor Italy is as implacable and deadly a threat to tyranny.

Because America is known throughout the world as a beacon of liberty, justice, and tolerance.

It's more the fact that America has some of the most noticeable landmarks in the world. Where outside America could have been attacked that provoked so much media coverage and spread the word of Bin Ladin?

Big Ben, Effiel Tower, Arc de Triomphe, Westminster Abbey, Windsor Castle, CN Tower...

America controls most of the Western worlds media. As a result, there is still a lot of discussion about the 2 year anniversary of 9/11.

Would as many people on his board be as upset if 9/11 had happened to Big Ben or the Eiffel Tower or remembering the 2 year anniversary of that?

I'm sure our relations would be a lot different with France right now had 9/11 happened over there. It's really almost impossible to tell how different everything would be had 9/11 happened somewhere else.

Would as many people on his board be as upset if 9/11 had happened to Big Ben or the Eiffel Tower or remembering the 2 year anniversary of that?

I can't speak for anyone else on the board, but I know I would be. In fact, I'd be even angrier. If terrorists are going to strike anyone in the Western world, it had better be us. We're the best equipped to deal with this evil. We're the real threat to the terrorists. Let them attack someone who can fight back.

It's more the fact that America has some of the most noticeable landmarks in the world.

Precisely so. And they're more than landmarks. They are symbols of Western civilisation, Western ideals, and Western success. America is a symbol. That is why we were the first target.

Incidentally, Big Ben was a target as well. You are unscathed because we were hit first.

CNN story

We were not attacked for anything we did or are. We were attacked because those who attacted us are intolerant shitheads who are the biggest scum of the earth this side of Hitler.

That too. But if we were like them, they wouldn't have anything to be intolerant of. But we aren't anything like them. We have different principles. We have different beliefs. We are their diametric opposites. As I said: we are Americans. And that is why we were attacked.

What WAS the first Al-Qaeda attack ever, anyway?

Al Qaeda claims responsibilty for bombings in 1992 in Yemen, and Adem directed a the US military.

The also likely had involvment in Somalia, the first WTC attack, the bombings in Saudi Arabia in 1996.

It's really almost impossible to tell how different everything would be had 9/11 happened somewhere else.

France probably would have given up and allowed bin Laden free rule...

Damn, beat me to it :P

And it's kind of scary to know that they were ready to do the same thing in London.

Guest cobainwasmurdered

Why not Canada, France, or Italy you ask?

America is the most powerfull nation, I won't bother denying it. Quite possibly the most powerfull in history though I'm sure some historians would argue the point.

But I have to disagree when you say America is more of a threat to tyrrany than Canada. You are a POTENTIAL threat to tyranny but throughout American history you've left dictators alone unless they do something to America.

Though that's what most countries do. And really there's nothing wrong with that. It's not America's job to police the world.

Bottomline though is These terrorists don't see us as Canadian,American,British. They see us as as Infidels. And they see the French as Non Bathing Infidels.

But I have to disagree when you say America is more of a threat to tyrrany than Canada. You are a POTENTIAL threat to tyranny but throughout American history you've left dictators alone unless they do something to America.

Though that's what most countries do. And really there's nothing wrong with that. It's not America's job to police the world.

The criticism and the disclaimer are both fair, but when was the last time France, Italy, or Canada unilaterally deposed a regime for being a tyranny? I can't think of a single instance. I'm really not trying to rag on Canada; I'm just saying that Canada is not an independent threat to radical Islam and never will be. On the other hand, by her very nature, America is such a threat and always will be.

Bottomline though is These terrorists don't see  us as Canadian,American,British. They see us as as Infidels. And they see the French as Non Bathing Infidels.

Very true.

Guest cobainwasmurdered

The criticism and the disclaimer are both fair, but when was the last time France, Italy, or Canada unilaterally deposed a regime for being a tyranny? I can't think of a single instance. I'm really not trying to rag on Canada; I'm just saying that Canada is not an independent threat to radical Islam and never will be. On the other hand, by her very nature, America is such a threat and always will be.

You are right. Canada most likely has never opposed a tyrrany by itself. Canada always goes along with their allies. Or with what they believe in.

But then again Canada has opposed tyranny that others have as well. The thing is would we have opposed them if the others didn't? that's the real question.

It depends. I think that yes, the people here would be very upset, but remember two influencing factors:

1) The majority of people on this board are Americans, so naturally any terrorism on American soil has more of an emotional impact that foreign terrorism, and

2) loss of life. You list Big Ben & the Eiffel Tower, which too my knowledge are landmarks, but not really office buildings full of thousands of people as the Towers were. The death toll would still likely be high, I'm sure, but probably not 3,000+.

A moment of silence also for those who died in the Pentagon. They sometimes seem to get a bit overshadowed in the weight of the crushing horror that happened in NYC, but for those of us who live in the D.C. area - such as myself, and Marney - it hits close to home.

Oh, and Lando - do me a favor. Next time you see a member of the armed forces, you walk up to him / her and you give them handshake and a word of thanks. Do the same should you run across a civil rights attorney / advocate.

Because they're out there fighting (in their own ways) for your right to spew the insensitive drivel that you do.

Guest JMA

If 9/11 had happened somewhere else I'm sure MOST Americans would be sympathetic about it. It wouldn't have had the same worldwide effect, but it would still be a pretty big deal. That's all I have to say about that. Personally, I'm glad to live in a country where I have freedom of AND from religion. It's something those extremist wouldn't know anything about. It's too bad we can't take out Saudi Arabia now.