TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Sakura

What is a suplex?

Guest Sakura

I know what suplexes are, of course...but what makes a suplex a suplex? Like how is the German the same move as the Verticle?

Guest The Upright Man

A suplex is pretty much any throw or lift that sends the feet or body over the head.

Guest Sakura

What about like the Rock Bottom? I've heard people call that a suplex, where they just wrong?

By that definition, any move where the opponent is lifted is a suplex.

I'd stick to the "any move where an opponent's feet go above their head before hitting the mat" definition, with two glaring exceptions: piledriver and powerbomb variations. Although Dace would probably give a reason as to why a piledriver could be a brainbuster variation, but hey...

Random known fact: Suplex is actually French in origin and pronounced sooplay. American announcers have been pronouncing it wrong for years. Gordon Solie was the only announcer who pronounced it properly.

Guest The Real Nosferatu

I was wondering why Solie pronounced it Soo-Pley on the wrestling classics PPV.

Stupid Broadcasters pronouncing it wrong!!

Random known fact: Suplex is actually French in origin and pronounced sooplay. American announcers have been pronouncing it wrong for years. Gordon Solie was the only announcer who pronounced it properly.

Well "Sooplay" sounds kinda dumb though. It sounds like one of those fancy ice cream things.

Guest deadbeater

Isn't a suplex a head under heels sacrifice throw that does not involve planting a foot on the opponent as a fulcrum?

A slam would then be a two-handed throw in which the attacker does not have to fall. Sometimes the attacker falls for extra damge, or extra power, so we get a power slam.

All Suplexes are not the same. A German suplex involves thrusting your opponent completely backwards and overhead from a waistlock. A vertical suplex is a relatively new move for pro wrestling, that was adapted from carnival strength acrobats. It demonstrates complete control over a another person. Harley Race, one of the main practicioners, have been known for holding an opponent for one minute vertical.

Edited by deadbeater

I know what suplexes are, of course...but what makes a suplex a suplex? Like how is the German the same move as the Verticle?

A German is just a verticle from the waist position and throwing the opponet backwards.

A German is just a verticle from the waist position and throwing the opponet backwards.

Uh, no it isn't. A German Suplex starts with a waistlock. A vertical suplex starts with a front head/facelock.

What about like the Rock Bottom? I've heard people call that a suplex, where they just wrong?

It's a variation of the suplex that it's based on (Urangi, spelling incorrect of course).

Correct. Also known as the "Soviet Suplex"...

I always considered the Rock Bottom/Book End/Uranage(?) more of a slam than a suplex, but then again, I've always seen it listed as a "sambo suplex" in movelists in wrestling video games in the late 90's.

Guest RickyB

A Suplex is any move where the Wrestler recieving the move is lifted over the head of the person giving the move. Which is why the Rock Bottom (Front Sambo Suplex) is a Suplex but a Body Slam isn't a Suplex. Then again i've heard a Rock Bottom called a One Arm Slam, the move name isn't too important to be honest in Pro Wrestling, On Arm Slam is the "pro" name for it while Front Sambo Suplex is more of the Amature name for it.

Guest Fook

To me, a suplex must have these qualities:

- victim's feet must be above his head at one point (which is why a rock bottom isn't a suplex to me)

- attacker goes must down with the victim (hence, a powerbomb isn't a suplex because the attacker has the option of staying on his feet)

- hurts the back, shoulders, and/or neck

Dace doesn't seem to be here, but I'm about 99% sure that a suplex is the following...any move where the opponent is lifted by his waist. That means that a standard, vertical, German, belly-to-belly, backdrop, side, gutwrench, etc. suplex would all fit the definition.

I think I just solved everyone's question....

Guest Dave O'Neill, Journalist
To me, a suplex must have these qualities:

- victim's feet must be above his head at one point (which is why a rock bottom isn't a suplex to me)

Then what about an exploider.

And Shut The Fuck Up Barber, no one cares what you think, or you "solving everyone's question"

Dace doesn't seem to be here, but I'm about 99% sure that a suplex is the following...any move where the opponent is lifted by his waist. That means that a standard, vertical, German, belly-to-belly, backdrop, side, gutwrench, etc. suplex would all fit the definition.

That sounds like a pretty good explanation.

What about a Dragon Suplex, where the victim is lifted by his neck?

Or the Tiger Suplex, lifted by arms?

I always defined suplex as a throw without a release. But my definition would cut out a German release suplex, so I'm wrong too.

Guest Trivia247

Or the Japanese Ocean Cyclone Suplex

or the Electric Chair

or the Table top

or or the Aztec

etc heh

Guest Eric the Eagle

I always thought the definition of a suplex was a throw where all or most of the targets body goes above the head of the person delivering the throw.

Of course, this would eliminate the side suplex variation and a few belly to belly's...

As for the Rock Bottom/Sanbo suplex... I thought you had to spin for it to be a sanbo? Of course, that could be a case of different meanings in different places...

Or the Japanese Ocean Cyclone Suplex

or the Electric Chair

or the Table top

or or the Aztec

etc heh

An electric chair isn't really to be considered a suplex. It's more of a slam.

You got me w/ the Dragon.

The ocean cyclone you kind of lift them by their waist, or at least start out doing so.

Tiger - you got me there, too.

What's a tabletop suplex?