TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Boner Kawanger

New FLASH Series in the Works at WB

Variety reports that The WB has put into development for Fall 2004 a new pilot based on DC Comics superhero The Flash, with some added elements.

Feature scribe-producer Todd Komarnicki ("Resistance") is writing the pilot and will exec produce the project via Warner Bros. Television and his Guy Walks Into a Bar shingle. Net has attached a hefty penalty to the project if it's not picked up to series.

"The Flash" -- which revolves around an ordinary man with superhuman speed -- is the Frog's latest attempt to reimagine a comic or literary classic for primetime following the success of its Superman-inspired "Smallville." Last season's "Birds of Prey" didn't work out, but execs have high hopes for this fall's "Tarzan."

As with "Smallville," the new "Flash" will have a "no tights, no flights" philosophy, which means the character won't be clad in the classic red suit. He'll also have a cool 21st-century mantra that will guide his life.

"The twist Peter talked to us about was incorporating time travel into the Flash mythology," she said. "We've been talking internally about doing a 'Time Tunnel'-style show, and this was the perfect way to blend time travel with an established franchise we know is beloved by people who know the comic."

And so in the new "Flash," our hero will be a fresh-out-of-college Gothamite who discovers he has the ability to move very fast -- so fast, in fact, that he can travel backward or forward in time. He'll use that skill to right wrongs, save lives and kick ass.

"This is a story about a guy who's aimlessly drifting through life and barely moving at the speed of life when he discovers his calling is to move at the speed of light," Komarnicki said.

Bernstein said the show will have self-contained storylines each week in addition to ongoing plot points.

"Every week he'll have a mission, a la 'Mission: Impossible,' " Bernstein said. "It's a big, fun, adventure series. There's also a mentor character who'll train him, and there's a legacy of Flashes before him."

The new "Flash" will not be a brooding superhero, but he will recognize that his new life means plenty of compromises.

"When he's in the future, he's missing his present," Komarnicki said. "He's really giving up some of his own life to help others."

Credit: Toonzone

Mattdotcom:Not Impressed

"That's a BAAADDDD score" - Random Punk

"Bad, I just broke the record" - The Ghost

"No, I mean bad as in good"

"Good is bad, bad is good, right is wrong, like Orwellian Double speak from 1984"

"84, I can't even remember last week"

"Who wants Gum?" - The Trickster

"I do, I do" - Prank

"So what your doing Abe, now that your dead" - The Trickster

I have every episode on tape and me and my brother have been using them as in jokes since they first aired.

Guest Big_Jay101

John Wesley Shipp? Was he on Dawsons Creek i think is aw the name in the opening today?

Guest SP-1

Time travel.

TIME TRAVEL? I mean, Flash has had some dealings with it, but a show about a guy so fast he can go back in time is not a show about a guy with super speed who is a superhero. Ugh. WB disappoints me agan.

John Wesley Shipp? Was he on Dawsons Creek i think is aw the name in the opening today?

Yeah, he played Dawson's dad.

I liked the old Flash show, even though they did away with the Yellow booties.

Barry Allen was the Flash in the early 90s series, right?

True, no yellow booties, but at least it was close and they had a good technobabble explanation for the suit.

Shipp did play Barry Allen (albeit a dark-haired one) but no Iris West. IIRC, they used her as an evil henchman of sorts in the pilot, and teased her as his girlfriend.

Guest wrestlingbs

This sounds like another example of why DC Comics can't handle it's own characters well.

I mean, Marvel just had 4 blockbuster comic book movies, IN A ROW!

Guest SP-1

It isn't DC's fault in and of itself. No comic book company WANTS to have their properties bombed so terribly.

It's more that AOL/TIME WARNER own DC. DC has no choice but to let WB handle their properties, and thus WB gets free reign to screw it all up as they please.

The premise sounds terrible. I'll skip it, if it gets made.

Yeah, I mean who would have thought we'd see the day that a 90s and up BATMAN movie looked to be the most competent thing to come out of WB? Between this and the worsening and worsening rumors of Superman: The Hatchet Job, I mean.

Guest The Grand Pubah of 1620

Just like all the rest, if it's done correctly it can be very good.

Guest El Satanico

Traveling through time righting wrongs...Quantem Leap

Weekly missions...Incredible Hulk

I liked both of those shows, so perhaps. But what do I know...I liked Birds of Prey. Birds of Prey could've worked damnit...it just needed a better cast.

Guest The Grand Pubah of 1620
Traveling through time righting wrongs...Quantem Leap

Weekly missions...Incredible Hulk

I liked both of those shows, so perhaps. But what do I know...I liked Birds of Prey. Birds of Prey could've worked damnit...it just needed a better cast.

One of the greatest sci-fi television shows of all time.

Why even call it the Flash? if they're not gonna stay true to the source material, why bother?

Fuck WB.

I think at this point we can agree, WB [no heart's] Costumes. There's this, there's Smallville, and a rumored early script for S:THJ apparently had a Superman who didn't have a costume either.

Time travel.

You have got to be fucking kidding me.

I'll pass on this.

I've actually no problem with the time travel itself - but without using a treadmill it's just preposterous...

I liked the show better when it was called TimeCop.

Or "Seven Days".

Or "Quantum Leap".

Really, this shit is played. Just give me a guy who runs fast, please.

Guest El Satanico

show me a bad time travel show...well at least a time travel show that wasn't entertaining...and I'll show you a good holocaust set sitcom.

I've actually no problem with the time travel itself - but without using a treadmill it's just preposterous...

:lol:

Come on now... that treadmill was CRUCIAL in Crisis...

:lol:

Come on now... that treadmill was CRUCIAL in Crisis...

That was my point. How is one to believe that time travel can be achieved without either using a treadmill or slingshotting yourself around the sun?