TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AboveAverage484

Radar detectors...

Guest Insanityman

Yeah, I remember my Uncle, the state trooper, just laughs whenever he hears or sees one- saying cops have a much wider range. He could be bullshitting, but I doubt it.

Never mind that police often use more reliable means than radar to determine your speed. A radar detector is useless against VASCAR or laser technology, nor is it effective against aircraft which are monitoring speeds.

I remember reading somewhere that those things get a reading from about 100 yards, while the cop gets a reading from about 10,000 yards.

10,000 yards? That's about six miles. Radar can definitely travel that far, but there's no way that a hand-held radar gun like the cops use could possibly be anything close to accurate over that distance, if the signal travelled that far in the first place.

But I have been nailed by a cop that was about 280 yards away, i.e., about the length of three football fields. So don't assume they have to be TOO close.

The main problem with radar detectors is that they're inconsistant, and are constantly giving false warnings. Damn near anything sets them off: other radar detectors, microwaves, sometimes even CB radios or cell phones. Now, out on the open highway in an unpopulated area, they could be useful; but in a city or other densely populated area, they're almost worthless. And a lot of the time their range isn't very good, either; a cop can zap you before the detector warns you he's there. Furthermore, plenty of cops will go a lot harder on you if they see that detector on your dashboard or hanging from your windshield. And finally, they're illegal in some places, so check out your local laws.

Guest HungryJack

Just speed at areasonable rate. most people can spot cops well in advance, and adjust speed accordingly.

Guest Salacious Crumb

Well considering, in Ohio at least, that most of the speeders get caught from the air now it's pretty useless to get one.

Hey, don't pull me into this. I don't know shit about radar detectors.

Oh, and the supposed air enforcement of speed limits around here is laughable. The area where they're supposed to be watching you is a mile-long four lane straightaway. I've never seen a single aircraft of any kind around there, EVER. And I go through this area at least once a week.

Be sure you don't drive thru a state that doesn't allow Radar Detectors. I know if you drive thru Virgina, and get caught with one, they make you disconnect it and drive over it.

Well about 1 out of every 3 people in my commmunity college parking lot have one.

I've got caught twice speeding. Once on the interstate at like 10:30 at night. I wasn't paying attention until I saw the lights come on. Usually I'm pretty good at that. Second was driving down a highway when a cop coming from the opposite direction did a u-turn in the middle of the road and pulled me over. Traffic was fairly heavy, but I still could have spotted him soon enough to slow down.

Normally, the safest way to speed is group-speeding. Follow a car in the fast lane whose speeding and usually someone will follow you. If a cop is ahead of you more than likely he'll pull the "leader" over. If they come up behind you they'll more than likely pull the tail-end car over. Of course, this would be negated in open-highway situations where the risk of a cop hiding on the side of the road lurks around every corner, especially at night.

This should be the official "speeding and solutions to do so without being caught" thread.

This should be the official "speeding and solutions to do so without being caught" thread.

I'll sum it up for you.

Don't speed.

Agreed, can't get busted if you're obeying the law.

Is one of these guys really HBK?

No HBK would bitch about the horrible injustice of getting pulled over, then go cut off another finger and post about it while waiting for the ambulance.

On a side note, we'll see if Clausen's overrated ass will direct the band in Tuscaloosa this year. I'm surprised he came back this year after the spanking we put on his ass last year.

Yeah, just ignore that Clausen was injured almost all season, as were 19 other players on the roster...