TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest rawmvp

Vince tells Bret what?

Guest rawmvp

By BRET HART -- For SLAM! Wrestling

Recently Kurt Angle challenged me to a match at Wrestlemania XX.

This challenge wasn't part of some wrestling storyline.

Angle told ABC News many people in the business consider me the 20th century's greatest wrestler -- and they're telling him, so far, he may well be the best wrestler of the 21st century.

He said his dream match would be to wrestle me.

I am genuinely flattered by Angle's challenge.

Just to be considered in the same league as the workers whom I think are the greatest wrestlers of the 20th century is the ultimate compliment.

Asking exactly whom the greatest wrestlers of the 20th century are is one of those subjective list-making things that leads to a sometimes heated -- but hopefully fun -- controversy. The opinion of someone who never stepped foot in the ring will be different from that of a mat veteran.

Here are some of the first names that come to my mind, in no particular order.

Dory Funk Jr. Dory established the work rate everyone else tried to reach -- including me. He was the Gordie Howe of wrestling.

Nelson Royal. A smaller version of Funk.

Buddy Rogers. He invented high spots and long routines and turned wrestling in the direction it went. He was sometimes criticized by his peers for being 'a routine man' but turned out to be ahead of his time.

Pat O'Conner. A long time ago, Leo Burke described him as the king of smooth. O'Conner's realistic approach gave wrestling legitimacy.

Burke. He was privileged to wrestle so many of the greats and his special talent was his knack for gleaning the best from each of them and adapting it to his own style.

Archie (The Stomper) Gouldie. The total package. A guy that had everything -- the look, the size, the physique, the persona. Archie was a wrestler's wrestler and he cut the most believable, chilling promos I have ever heard -- then or since!

Harley Race. A legit tough guy and one of the hardest-working bump men in the history of the business.

Cowboy Bob Orton. A wrestler's wrestler. Credible. The only guy I know with a comparable safety record to me.

Pedro Morales. Often overlooked for being as good as he was. Realistic. Consistent. He was one of the few great performers from his time who was also a great worker. Morales could wrestle a broomstick. Besides that, he was exceptionally kind-hearted and always had his ego in check.

Antonio Inoki. Plain and simply a phenomenal technical wrestler.

Dynamite Kid. Always an innovator. Pound for pound, the best there ever was.

Undertaker. Despite his Frankenstein gimmick, Mark Callaway is a solid, convincing, steady, reliable wrestler.

I wonder how others in the business would sum up my contribution.

Vince McMahon recently told me he's seen them all and considers me the greatest storyteller in wrestling history.

If that is how I am remembered, I have done well.

As for Angle, I think he is simply the best there is ... today. He reminds me a lot of Chris Benoit -- and that's a compliment.

If I were to work with Angle, I imagine our match would be similar to the ones I had with Benoit, which many people tell me they consider classics.

Many fans have written to me saying the Hitman vs. Angle is a dream match -- and I agree!

Not long ago, I actually awoke from a dream in which I had Angle clamped in a side headlock. Never in all my years in the WWF did I ever dream of a wrestling match.

It made me realize if I was going to return for just one more great match, I'd want Angle to be the opponent.

It would be a match of high calibre in the spirit of when I worked with Curt Hennig, Roddy Piper, Steve Austin, Davey Boy and even Shawn Michaels.

I look forward to meeting Angle. Edge told me Angle wasn't a wrestling fan as a kid but he started in pro wrestling after he watched every tape he could find and decided he liked me best.

Thing is, I truly believe Angle is the guy that can save wrestling -- from itself.

The problem with wrestling, the reason why the ratings are down, is very few guys know how to wrestle anymore.

Wrestling is an art form but today's wrestlers look like a bunch of Mexican jumping beans. After a while, that gets boring. It's like a movie full of car wrecks and explosions without any story.

One of the reasons I won the World Heavyweight Title, the first time, was because the WWF needed a champion who could wrestle.

In the midst of a steroid scandal, the WWF needed a way of showing the business isn't all about muscle.

That's what the WWE needs today and Angle is the guy who can pull it off and carry the torch.

If I ever could have a last match, it would be with him.

And I still get those letters every single day asking, 'Hey Hitman, when are you comin' back?'

Bret's a cocktease. But seriously I hope he never ever seriously tries a ring return. It could only do bad for his health and I get the feeling it would destroy him to know he can't be the best there is best there was...worker anymore. Not necessarily from an ego standpoint, but because his body can't handle doing it.

The match would make me horny all over but I don't see it happening. And I hope it doesn't.

Guest NS Ahmed

Hope.......hope........it would be really great to see the Angle-Hart match at Wrestlemania XX......

That was a wonderfully non-bitter Bret article.

Although we all know that Bret isn't ever coming back into the ring. Not after a stroke, my friends, it's not happening.

Guest webmasterofwrestlegame

Yes but something makes me think he is wondering - just....wondering.

I'd personally like to see Bret back in a non-wrestling capacity to side with Angle in some way - maybe based off an angle he started in that very article - to bring back wrestling.

yeah, this is quite the big cocktease. at this point, even if such a match WERE to take place, it would likely suck. not only did bret have a STROKE, he hasn't wrestled in over 3 years. even if he still does have that great sense of timing & storytelling, he wouldn't have the stamina or the endurance to have a good-paced 20+ minute match.

Does Brett have a book in the works

He said awhile ago that he wanted to write 3 books about his life.

Maybe a few weeks before WM XX Vince will reveal that the screw job was really just a big angle and Bret has been under contract all this time and was a mole to destroy WCW and he's now in Vince's new stabel. Angle would then come out and, erm, do something babyfacey, and hey presto, Hart vs. Angle.

Hey, it would explain why they always bring up SS97!

Maybe a few weeks before WM XX Vince will reveal that the screw job was really just a big angle and Bret has been under contract all this time and was a mole to destroy WCW and he's now in Vince's new stabel. Angle would then come out and, erm, do something babyfacey, and hey presto, Hart vs. Angle.

It wouldn't explain Owen's death, and that was generally the problem.

It wouldn't explain Owen's death, and that was generally the problem.

Fuck, yeah, you're right.

I cannot believe I forgot that... shit. Not forget forget the accident, but the obvious Hart/McMahon heat because of it.

STROKE VICTIM vs BROKEN NECK

Smell the ratings!

That's exactly why that match shouldn't happen now, unless it was healthy pre-retirement Bret Hart vs. present-day Angle, but of course, that won't happen unfortunately.

The problem with wrestling, the reason why the ratings are down, is very few guys know how to wrestle anymore.

I like Bret, and I wish that were true, but I think he's a little delusional. The problem with why the ratings are down, to me, is bad writing and lack of new stars being built.

Undertaker. Despite his Frankenstein gimmick, Mark Callaway is a solid, convincing, steady, reliable wrestler.

I love Bret man, he's the guy that got me hooked on wrestling.

But no person who wasn't affected by a concussion would say something like this. Hell, now that I think about it, the only other guy who praises Undertaker's work is Foley, and his list of head injuries speaks for itself.

I wonder if I drop myself on my head that I'll dig Taker?

Taker's a good worker now, though. Taker/Angle from a few weeks ago sure as hell wasn't Angle "carrying" him.

Guest deadbeater

Taker is a very good inring worker. Not only his fights are more or less realistic, he is very agile for a big man, and resourceful too. If he had Hulk Hogan charisma, everyone would say Hulk Who?

I love Bret man, he's the guy that got me hooked on wrestling.

But no person who wasn't affected by a concussion would say something like this. Hell, now that I think about it, the only other guy who praises Undertaker's work is Foley, and his list of head injuries speaks for itself.

he's got quite a great reputation among the people he's worked with over the years in general, despite the smark hate. shawn michaels said he's the easiest guy to work with he's ever wrestled.

Guest BionicRedneck

It's not gonna happen. And, honestly, if it did happen, it would fucking suck.

Actually I had heard a rumour like that years ago while he was still in WCW, that the ENTIRE Montreal screwjob was a work, even Bret decking Vince, just so he could go over there and destroy WCW from within. I think it may have been possible that Bret would return, but Owen's death changed everything. And no, I do not believe Vince had him killed, it was an accident, or the fault of the harness makers.

Guest wildpegasus
Does Brett have a book in the works or will there be a From the Vault 4 DVD set coming out soon?

WP-Don't know about the DVD but I"m pretty sure Bret mentioned his 1st book was done and would be out sometime late this year. The first book will be about the 1st part of his life while the 2nd and 3rd will pick up wherever the last book left off. Personally, I can't wait! Those Stampede and New Japan stories are going to rule all.

It's interesting that Bret puts Leo Burke on such a high pedestal. I'd really like to go back and check his work out.

Guest JMA

It's too bad Angle wasn't brought in instead of Shamrock in 97. Think of the matches that could've gave us. Angle vs. Vader, Angle vs. Hart, Angle vs. Michaels, Angle vs. Owen...

Guest Anglesault

I want to see Angle/HBK.

Unlike Angle/Hart, it can actually happen, and I think it could be very good.