TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KingPK

One & Only MLB playoff discussion thread

Guest Choken One

Yep, I believe ESPN said Ortiz is Starting...

So if Cubbies win game four, Wood Starts game One for the NLCS then I imagine and keep the same Rotation (wood, Zamb, Prior, Clement)? or wait and see who they play to work it out...

Clement is going on a week's rest for tomorrow's game, as opposed to Ortiz who just pitched Tuesday, which is still four days rest. Should be another good one tomorrow.

By the way, I don't think Prior is going to pull a Kerry and blow out his arm next spring. Mark has a much less stressful motion in his pitches than Wood did when he was starting out. He seems to take much better care of himself than the then 21 year old Wood.

Guest Choken One

Besides Dusty is smarter with using his pitchers then whomever the Cubs skipper was when Wood went down (name escapes me at the moment)...

Prior would have a week's vaction if they can win game 4 and the SF/FLA goes 5 (if keeping the same rotation)...So his arm should be rested fine...

I believe the name you are looking for is Jim Riggleman.

The break Prior had when he was on the DL may wind up being a very good thing for him, since he may have more gas in the tank than most when fully rested.

Clement is going on a week's rest for tomorrow's game, as opposed to Ortiz who just pitched Tuesday, which is still four days rest. Should be another good one tomorrow.

That's only three days' rest (Wed, Thu, Fri). The Cubs need to jump on him early and get Clement a lead. I don't like their chances if it's close going to the late innings.

Guest Choken One

I wouldn't have him go that far anyways, He has been the closer for two seasons now and you can't expect him to revert to that starting role so suddenly...

114 pitches. Prior AVERAGED 130 down the stretch in his last six starts. Any bets on how long before his arm falls off?

He's got awesome mechanics. That's no guaratnee he'll avoid arm problems, but it will help.

Bah...pitch counts...its the playoffs, fuck pitch counts! Babying your pitcher's is for the regular season. Playoffs you throw them out there till their arm falls off. If you have a chance to win it all you go for it and the way things are shaping up in the N.L. the Cubs might get there *cue ominious music*. Hell Prior could get hit by a car in the offseason for all we know.

I mean I just find it hilarious that if the Red Sox win tommorrow and force a Game 4 that they won't pitch Pedro Martinez. WTF? Good lord your on the brink of elimination and this guy can't go on three days rest? Shit five innings of him is probably better than what John Burkett will give them. Just proves to me what I thought for a couple of years now...Pedro is a pussy.

I caught the first two innings before prior engagements cut things short but I got to a friend's house during the 9th with one out and saw him put the last two guys away. I couldn't believe Prior was still in there because of the pitch count, but it was nice to see him put the Braves away in a convincing fashion. One thing that surprised me was the four errors. I know they're pretty mediocre with the D, but FOUR errors? That's why you lose postseason games, which is something Harold Reynolds pointed out. The teams that are playing the bad D are the ones who are losing.

I think it's interesting, but completely expected in a way since you'll notice that the Cubs were in a constant offensive slump before acquiring those three. Once you got past Sosa and Alou, pitchers really didn't have much to worry about. Now they've got Ramirez and Simon backing those two up, with Lofton being basically the prototype of what a lead-off man should be. And with Lofton doing well, Grudz is a better hitter.

I mean I just find it hilarious that if the Red Sox win tommorrow and force a Game 4 that they won't pitch Pedro Martinez. WTF? Good lord your on the brink of elimination and this guy can't go on three days rest? Shit five innings of him is probably better than what John Burkett will give them. Just proves to me what I thought for a couple of years now...Pedro is a pussy.

Here's the rationale. If the Red Sox are going to win this series, they need to win three games. If Pedro pitches game 4, the Sox will still need Burkett to pitch game 5. They might as well pitch Burkett at game 4 and make sure Martinez is fully rested if there is a game 5.

Here's the rationale. If the Red Sox are going to win this series, they need to win three games. If Pedro pitches game 4, the Sox will still need Burkett to pitch game 5. They might as well pitch Burkett at game 4 and make sure Martinez is fully rested if there is a game 5.

That makes sense, I guess, but I've always been one to think that you can't even worry about Game 5 until you win Game 4. Thus, if I were Grady Little, Pedro would be going in Game 4, and we'd figure out what we're going to do in Game 5 if/when we get there. "Saving" Pedro for a game you might not even get to play seems stupid to me.

I read in the paper today Grady's rationale, and I would tend to agree, the Red Sox dug themselves into this hole, so you might as well have him on full rest. Didn't the A's say they were going to pitch Hudson for Game 4?

Guest BobbyWhioux

Sounds like the Giants are going to go with Jerome Williams instead of Schmidt today as well.

And it cost them. 3-1 Marlins. Dontrelle is showing no fear pitching to Bonds and he's already retired him twice.

Of all the teams that the Marlins had to beat in the playoffs, why does it have to be the Giants and Felipe Alou?

I hate baseball.

I don't know how ANYONE can't love Dontrelle. He legs out a TRIPLE and slides head first into third. Who the hell else does that? Nobody, because the kid is all heart.

3 hits by a pitcher ties a post season record.

Bye bye giants.

Well, I'm sure lots of Giants fans are hating him right now.

And me, because the owner of the team he plays for is a piece of shit.

Well, the Giants are making a game of it right now. I don't care for either team, truth be told, especially since the winner would play the Cubs (if they can pull it out) and thus, I don't want either of those teams to truly dominate the other. The Giants, though, haven't looked like the second best team in the NL so far in this series.