TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianChris

2003-04 NHL predictions

Well, since people seem to think that five weeks before the season is a good time to start discussing the NBA, let's talk about a league that actually starts sometime soon.

Last we saw, in the least-desired outcome since forever, the New Jersey Devils were walking off with the Stanley Cup, to party with their fan(s?) and Joe Piscopo in the Meadowlands parking lot. There's been a lot of activity since then, though:

- Dominik Hasek returned to the Detroit Red Wings, putting them in the (un)enviable position of having TWO starting goaltenders. Of course, we all saw how well Curtis Joseph took it when he was benched for Marty Brodeur in the Olympics.

- Seeing an opportunity with a labour stoppage looming, Colorado went out and plucked Paul Kariya from the Western Conference champion Mighty Ducks of Anaheim, and Teemu Selanne from the San Jose Sharks -- each signing one-year deals for a mere $6.5 million TOTAL. Colorado undoubtedly has the most explosive offence in the league...but with Patrick Roy following his son's junior career, who's going to stop the pucks? Will it matter?

- The Philadelphia Flyers, still searching for the answer to the goaltending woes that have plagued them ever since Ron Hextall left, opted to sign former Bruins goalie Jeff Hackett. Hackett could be the answer...of course, he could be another playoff bust. Robert Esche waits in the wings.

- Joe Nieuwendyk signed with Toronto, wanting to become the first player ever to win Cups with four different teams (Flames, Stars, Devils so far). Um...then why did he sign with Toronto??

- The Tampa Bay Lightning were simultaneously cursed by THREE different teams, after signing restricted free agent Brad Richards to a ridiculously overpriced deal. The Senators, Wild and Oilers, each with restricted free agents of their own comparable to Richards, all saw their FAs hold out after being offered significantly lower deals.

- Speaking of the Ottawa Senators, they were finally rescued from bankruptcy, being purchased by Toronto pharmaceutical billionaire Eugene Melnyk. You'd never know it by their negotiations with star winger Martin Havlat (one of the aforementioned free agents), though...other than that, everyone returns. This team could finally have the mental toughness needed to hoist the Cup, after coming two minutes and one goal short in the conference final last year.

- The New York Rangers were mathematically eliminated from the playoffs.

So, with all that (and much more), what's going to happen this season? My predictions (playoff seedings in parentheses):

Atlantic

1. (2) Philadelphia - Hopefully, another playoff flop will finally get Bob Clarke canned.

2. (4) New Jersey - The champs stand pat. Which means another year of 1-0 and 2-1 snoozers.

3. (8) NY Islanders - Could be a little better...or a LOT worse.

4. NY Rangers - Chaos continues to reign in MSG.

5. Pittsburgh - 1 superduperstar and 19 scrubs means another last-place finish.

Northeast

1. (1) Ottawa - Does this team remind anyone else of the early 80s Oilers? This could be their time at last.

2. (5) Toronto - Offense seels tickets, but defence wins championships. The drought continues.

3. (6) Boston - Felix Potvin is NOT the answer.

4. Montreal - Too many distractions, not enough talent.

5. Buffalo - Was it really only four years ago that this team was in the Cup final?

Southeast

1. (3) Tampa Bay - Not enough to make some serious playoff noise, but enough to win this division.

2. (7)Atlanta - A full year of Bob Hartley pays dividends.

3. Carolina - Will bounce back big time from last year.

4. Florida - This team will be very good...next year.

5. Washington. The Jagr trade was perhaps the worst thing to ever happen to this franchise.

Central

1. (1) Detroit - This may be the greatest group of blueliners ever assembled.

2. (5) St. Louis - Can this team EVER stay healthy? If so, they may go places.

3. Columbus - Lots of free agents on this team. If they can build chemistry, they could be better.

4. Nashville - I have heard of two players on this team...and they're both former Senators (York, Johanssen).

5. Chicago - Still waiting for Bill Wirtz to croak. The brief glimmer of hope is gone.

Northeast

1. (2) Colorado - For all the big names this team has, one name stands out most...starting G David Aebischer.

2. (4) Vancouver - This may be Cloutier's last chance. This team could reach the Stanley Cup final.

3. (8) Calgary - Hard to say what this team will do. Defence is much improved.

4. Minnesota - No Gaborik? No playoffs.

5. Edmonton - This team has lost just too many players...and no Mike Comrie doesn't help.

Pacific

1. (3) Dallas - Turco did the smart thing and signed. With one year of playoff experience, watch him carefully.

2. (6) Los Angeles - Cechmanek is the key. With lowered expectations in sports-apathetic LA, could be brilliant.

3. (7) Anaheim - Conn Smythe winner Giguere will continue to shoulder the load.

4. San Jose - Sharks start over from scratch after last year's flameout.

5. Phoenix - Burke will keep them from being worst in the league, but not by much.

President's Cup winner - Ottawa Senators

West final - Detroit over Vancouver

East final - Ottawa over New Jersey

Stanley Cup final - Ottawa over Detroit

Edited by CanadianChris

Predictions that matter for me:

Sens over the Avs in 7 for the Cup

Chicago Blackhawks finish 4th behind STL, Detroit, and Columbus.

The uniform inversion will distract the hell out of me.

The Devils will bore the hell out of me.

Postseason finishes:

WEST:

1) Colorado

2) Dallas

3) St. Louis

4) Detroit

5) Minnesota

6) Vancouver

7) San Jose

8) Calgary

EAST:

1) Ottawa

2) New Jersey

3) Tampa Bay

4) Toronto

5) Philadelphia

6) Montreal

7) Long Island

8) Atlanta

"Hackett could be the answer...of course, he could be another playoff bust. Robert Esche waits in the wings."

:softly weeps in the corner:

Seriously, after all of the goalie problems their big solution is Jeff fucking Hackett.

I am also thrilled they decided to solve abso-FUCKING-lutely zero other problems dealing with the team. Unless Gagne really steps up and their rookie D step up it is going to be another late April-early May exit.

Other predictions:

The Devils continue to win and draw 50% attendance.

The Rangers remain a running joke.

Pittsburgh Penguins:NHL::Detroit Tigers:MLB

Ottawa wins the Cup.

Predictions:

Atlantic

1. Jersey. Nobody can really get past them in this division. Philly can give them a run, but ultimately, the NEW best goaltender currently in the league leads this defense.

2. Philly. Only team that can really give Jersey a run for their money, but only if EVERYTHING goes exactly right. Yet another disappointing run for them will result in Jeremy Roenick getting traded for a package of plastic cups, a 3423 round draft choice, and a bag of Doritos.

3. NY Islanders. They'll make it. Barely. And win a few games. And go out. Average, average, average.

4. NY Rangers. This is going to be a blast to watch.

5. Pittsburgh. I want to see Mario do his BERZERKER attack on another 23 year old, deer-in-the-headlights-scared defenseman. That's about the only entertaining thing about this team.

Northeast

1. Ottawa. Nobody else in the division is even CLOSE to being as deeply rich in talent as this team is right now. There are players that are getting sent to the minors that have more talent than most of the Penguins players. That's scary. They win this year, and we're looking at the making of a dynasty.

2. Toronto. Ageless Joe Nieuwendyk and washed up goon Bryan Marchment are apparently going to lead them into the beyond...riiiiiight.

3. Boston. Potvin is not the answer, but with Samsonov and Thorton both healthy, pray for opposing defensemen and goalies.

4. Buffalo. Getting Chris Drury is a good start for this franchise's rebuilding.

5. Montreal. Of course, this depends on which Jose Theodore they get.

Southeast

1. Florida. Talent, talent, talent at every position.

2. Tampa. Maybe a win or two. The loss of Prospal is going to hurt them.

3. Atlanta. One year away.

4. Carolina. I'm not convinced in many players on this team, besides Erik Cole, Kevin Weekes, and whether Eric Staal can emerge.

5. Washington. Last year was...luck.

Central

1. Detroit. Duh. Though the loss of Fedorov will make them less fear striking on offense. But Derian Hatcher gives this team depth, and the return of Hasek makes them instant favorites. A quiet move acquiring Ray Whitney will help them too.

2. St. Louis. Pronger, MacInnis, which will force the Calder winner last year to the second line. Deep defense, and an underrated offense could help this team contend.

3. Columbus. They need Todd Marchant to step up, along with Darryl Sydor and Marc Denis. If that happens and Rick Nash, a future star to pound goals in, does just that, they could sneak in at #8.

4. Nashville. Still a lot of work to be done, but resigning Legwand, pretty much their star, and keeping Tomas Volkoun, who is their future goalie, were good moves, as well as keeping Andy Delmore.

5. Chicago. Look up 'mess' in the dictionary. You'll see the Indian head.

Northeast

1. Colorado. Score, score, score. Defense? Average. Goalie? Remains to be seen. They are contenders though.

2. Vancouver. It all falls on Cloutier. He'll do well in the regular season, but get lit up when it actually counts.

3. Minnesota. Their system gives them the ability to win without a star. They have a great tandem of netminders, and a defense that fits their system.

4. Edmonton. Meh, they're better than Calgary.

5. Calgary. Just not yet.

Pacific

1. Anaheim. I'm sold. Giguere heads up a quietly efficient defense, and they got two great offensive weapons in the offseason.

2. Dallas. Marty resigned, but Hatcher is gone, and no, Numminen won't replace him.

3. Los Angeles. Roman helps them, and will do better than Potvin.

4. San Jose. They lost Teemu, pretty much their entire offense falls on Vincent Damphousse. Not a great time to be a Sharks fan.

5. Phoenix. New uniforms don't hide the fact that this team sucks.

EAST:

Ottawa

Jersey

Florida

Philly

Tampa

Toronto

Boston

Isles

WEST:

Detroit

Colorado

Anaheim

Dallas

St. Louis

Vancouver

Minnesota

Los Angeles

Ottawa v. Detroit

Ottawa in 6

Guest Choken One

My Predictions are fail proof...

Hockey continues to go down the decline in Ratings and importance.

Other Things of Note

Detroit, the Yankees of Hockey will win again and America goes "Eh"...Hockey gets another Potential breakout star but due to inability to market lose it and continue to look for Gretzky 2 in all the wrong places.

My predictions:

- I will not bitch about Tie Domi 100% of the time. Some of that time will be devoted to bitching about Bryan Marchment

- Don Cherry will show favouritism towards the Maple Leafs

- CanadianChris' Bobby Clarke picture will be dragged out at least 4 times during the regular season.

- Mike Ricci will shock the world by becoming even more of an ugly mofo.

- Based on the ESPN NHL Hockey ads, Glen Sather will sign Tracy Morgan to a 5 year, $50 million dollar contract.

My Predictions are fail proof...

Hockey continues to go down the decline in Ratings and importance.

Other Things of Note

Detroit, the Yankees of Hockey will win again and America goes "Eh"...Hockey gets another Potential breakout star but due to inability to market lose it and continue to look for Gretzky 2 in all the wrong places.

I think another Jersey win is what elicits the "eh." While I feel obligated to hate Detroit because I'm from around Chicago and our teams used to be rivals when the Hawks meant something, the Red Wings are at least tolerable whilst the Devils are outright reprehensible.

Guest Choken One

Colorado reminds me of Boston Red Sox...Except for the championship winning ability part.

It always seems like they are competing with Wings (Yankees) and have the biggest line up of players...

Except that they are almost equally successful.

Colorado only has two Cups, but they've been just as successful as Detroit as far as winning rounds and such.

Here's a question

Why can't Canadian teams win or even make the Stanly Cup finals? Vancouver was the last to make it and Montreal was the last to win. Both of those happened more than 10 seasons ago.

Guest Choken One

Because no plays in Canada no mo...

Can you blame good players in Canada or Russia or any other cold places for wanting to play for warm places like Dallas instead of more coldness in Calgary?

I know Det and Denver aren't "WARM" but they are big spenders...

Guest Choken One

Canada teams are kinda like Boston and Chicago in MLB..."It has to happen at SOME point"..but just never seems to come about

Canada teams are kinda like Boston and Chicago in MLB..."It has to happen at SOME point"..but just never seems to come about

OK, two of the better talent rich teams in the league.

One came about two minutes from the SCF last year.

Colorado reminds me of Boston Red Sox...Except for the championship winning ability part.

It always seems like they are competing with Wings (Yankees) and have the biggest line up of players...

Colorado is nothing like the Red Sox. Stay out of the hockey threads, Choken, you said you don't even like it anyway.

Colorado is nothing like the Red Sox. Stay out of the hockey threads, Choken, you said you don't even like it anyway.

I agree.

wow thats a bad comment about the Habs.

No Talent.

They have great young talent that can put on some great games.

Their Defence is a great bunch minus Briesbois since he can rot in hell.

Theodore could be shakey, but with Mathieu Garon, as a back up, they could make a great combo.

What Montreal lacks in almost all the Eastern Conferance is Size and Toughness, but makes up for Speed.

Here's a question

Why can't Canadian teams win or even make the Stanly Cup finals? Vancouver was the last to make it and Montreal was the last to win. Both of those happened more than 10 seasons ago.

Thats because of to factors.

1.) A Shitty Canadian Dollar hurt most teams (except Toronto...but I'll explain why they get great players)

2.) Canadian teams pay a huge chunk of taxes, costing them a lot of money to actually compete, while States pay next to nothing for stadium taxes. Toronto doesn't pay that much because, the government sinks a lot of money into the Leafs, and high priced business buildings make it easier for the team to compete. 2. Able to share with the Toronto Raptors, and thus spliting the taxes in half, 3. 7,000 season ticket waiting list, for a mediocore team, yet brings in tons of cash.

Why the other Canadian teams couldn't compete.

Montreal: 72 Olympics hurt Quebec and Montreal, as the Habs almost pay 15 million dollars alone in taxes, hasn't made a profit since the 96 campain.

Ottawa: Once stared, not enough fan base, but when successful, the dollar crippled them. Corel wasn't a great sponser to the team either, in debt numerous times.

Edmonton: Runned by a shitty owner

Calgary: Runned well for a team with not the big bucks to spend.

Vancouver: See Calgary

Predictions:

Atlantic

1. Jersey - I hate this fact, but they still play that trap to perfection and unless it's outright outlawed (and we saw OH so well how that worked with the obstruction), they'll dominate again. I'm not even talking about Brodeur, because he'd be a great goalie anywhere.

2. NY Islanders - Only #2 because Philly will just mess up enough to drop second place. Although, I really can't seem them doing much more than a first round appearance.

3. Philly - Not everything will go right. But enough will that although they are in third place, they'll get in the playoffs. I'm expecting probably a cold spill of wins that should have been early in the season.

4. Pittsburgh - While the Penguins will bomb from just being a poor team, I think they'll still not be dead last. They aren't THAT bad, and I really think they'll stay out of the cellar this year.

5. Rangers - This season will be Sather's last. This team should've been much better last year than they were, and I'm expecting the SAME results from last year. They can be good, but they will bomb. They are the running joke of the NHL, and I expect them to live up to it.

Northeast

1. Ottawa - This will be the dynasty team of the future. They have too much talent that they can trade away all the vets and probably half the rookies, bring in all the untested guns and STILL make the Finals. ...ok, that's a stretch, but they'll get the President's Trophy and be in the Finals.

2. Boston - Potvin has something left in the tank. With Thorton and Sammy leading the offense, I expect them to do good.

3. Toronto - No. I'm not kidding. I doubt that Toronto will be good enough for second place. Sure they've got veteran support (they've got lots of it) but I really don't think this team will do anything like they did last season. That was adrenaline.

4. Montreal - I think Jose will return to his form that won him league honors, but I don't know if the supporting cast will bring their A game this time around. It's really going to depend on a lot of things.

5. Buffalo - Will be in 5th place as they are rebuilding.

Southeast

1. Tampa Bay - They will win this division. They have the right amount of grit to get them there. And if the Bulin Wall holds, it's theirs.

2. Florida - I think they'll contest with Tampa Bay for first place in the division. However, I think they'll just fall short of getting it.

3. Atlanta - They've got the pieces, just need the placing. Could do some damage in the playoffs. If they get there.

4. Carolina - They have talent, but the use of it was poor last season and I can't see it changing this season.

5. Washington - Agreed as was said before. Last year was solely luck.

Central

1. Detroit - They've still got the talent and determination to make it interesting. They'll win in style.

2. St. Louis - They'll contend with everyone healthy they'll make a fine run. Assuming they stay healthy.

3. Columbus - They've got some good pieces (I disagree with Marchant, but meh), and should be able to battle for one of the bottom place position in the playoff run.

4. Nashville - Has potential and lots of it. Still needs finetuning in getting stuff set, but I see them battling for 8th place. Will get a playoff birth.

5. Chicago - Buffalo can at least rebuild. Chicago must re-establish itself.

Northwest

1. Vancouver - Cloutier or not, this team will be the top dog of the Northeast. They've got the stuff and thirst from last season's crushing loss.

2. Minnesota - This is the most balanced team in the league. I think THAT will make them sneak out a second place victory out from Colorado.

3. Colorado - They've got the power, but lack the defensive and goaltending aspects. They'll light it up more than they get lit up. But that isn't saying too much.

4. Edmonton - *sighs* This is my team, but even I'm shaking my head. They have good talent that still need developing, and I really don't think the Oilers can afford to lose Comrie. Will lose playoff birth.

5. Calgary - Can someone PLEASE tell the Flames to get something done? How the hell this team expected Iginla to carry it last year was laughable. Seriously, I think Iginla is a star, but you can't bank it all on ONE person.

Pacific

1. Anaheim - They lost Kariya, but they picked up two guys who do more damage than he will. Add in Giggy, and you BETTER believe the hype. Will they get to the Finals again? To be seen, but I've got good feelings.

2. Dallas - Marty resigning was a great thing. Hatcher leaving was not. Although they'll show they are still a great team, I'm starting to doubt them being as good as they were.

3. Los Angeles - Roman will get them more wins, for sure... Then again, he was shaky last season (partly his, partly team's fault) and I'm worried that if he gets rattled once too often, we'll have a "Flaming" crisis on our hands. Sorry Flames fans, bad joke.

4. San Jose - No offense, Nabby could be napping, and watch this team fall.

5. Phoenix - Goaltending is about the only thing that's really good about this team. And even then, it can't save it if it's got no supporting cast.

My predictions on rankings. Yes, I'm putting up points I expect from them as well.

East

1) Senators - 119

2) Devils - 105

3) Lightning - 87

4) Bruins - 97

5) Islanders - 93

6) Panthers - 86

7) Flyers - 84

8) Atlanta - 83

West

1) Red Wings - 107

2) Canucks - 105

3) Mighty Ducks - 104

3) Blues - 98

4) Wild - 96

5) Avalance - 95

6) Stars - 93

7) Blue Jackets - 92

8) Predators - 91

My predictions of how that will go down.

First Round

1) Senators vs. 8) Atlanta - Ottawa in 6

2) Devils vs. 7) Philly - Devils in 5

3) Lightning vs. 6) Panthers - Panthers in 7

4) Bruins vs. 5) Islanders - Bruins in 6

1) Red Wings vs. 8) Predators - Red Wings in 5

2) Canucks vs. 7) Blue Jackets - Canucks in 5

3) Mighty Ducks vs. 6) Stars - Mighty Ducks in 6

4) Wild vs. 5) Avalance - Wild in 7

Second Round

1) Senators vs. 4) Bruins - Senators in 6

2) Devils vs. 6) Panthers - Devils in 7

1) Red Wings vs. 3) Mighty Ducks - Mighty Ducks in 7

2) Canucks vs. 4) Wild - Canucks in 7

Third Round

1) Senators vs. 2) Devils - Senators in 7

2) Canucks vs. 3) Mighty Ducks - Mighty Ducks in 6

For The Stanley Cup

1) Senators vs. 3) Mighty Ducks - It will go 7... And I think the Ducks will get it. But only because it goes to OT and Giggy keeps his shutout streak in playoff OT alive.

Sure, it's early, but that's what I'm seeing.

Atlantic

1. (2) New Jersey - Yeah, woo

2. (5) Philadelphia - Ditto

3. (6) NY Islanders - Another first round playoff exit

4. NY Rangers - They still suck

5. Pittsburgh - Lemieux will get 70+ points, maybe even more than the rest of the team combined

Northeast

1. (1) Ottawa - Probably the best team in the conference again

2. (4) Toronto - THIS is the year...

3. (7) Montreal - I think Theodore will step it up after a mediocre year last season

4. (8) Boston - I like Felix and all, but this team isn't ever going anywhere

5. Buffalo - They'll probably still own the Leafs at home, too *sigh*

Southeast

1. (3) Tampa Bay - Best of a mediocre lot

2. Atlanta - Hartley's a good coach, and the talent's there, but probably still a year or so away from making the playoffs

3. Washington - Should be better, kind of like the Rangers, but not as bad

4. Florida - Another decent team, but not good enough

5. Carolina - This is what you get for eliminating the Leafs in '02. Watch out Philly

Central

1. (2) Detroit - Have to hope Hasek isn't rusty

2. (6) St. Louis - Will have to hope that the injury bug doesn't bite again

3. Nashville - Could even sneak in to the playoffs

4. Columbus - Still a few years away, probably

5. Chicago - Does anyone still care about this team?

Northeast

1. (1) Colorado - Will probably win a bunch of 6-4 games, this team is fucking STACKED

2. (4) Vancouver - Have tons of firepower, just have to hope the goaltending stands up

3. (8) Edmonton - Look on the bright side, if they do make the playoffs, they'll probably avoid Dallas

4. Minnesota - Teams will start playing them more seriously now, after last year

5. Calgary - If they fall out early, will they deal Iginla?

Pacific

1. (3) Los Angeles - I like this team, but they'll have to stay healthy

2. (5) Anaheim - Same problem that Minnesota will have, but they're a better team, anyway

3. (7) Dallas - I just see them slipping a bit, still a pretty good team

4. San Jose - Do they have anyone left?

5. Phoenix - How long until the annual 'Will Gretzky suit up for them?' rumours start?

So, my playoffs would be...

EAST

Ottawa over Boston

Montreal over New Jersey

Tampa Bay over NY Islanders

Toronto over Philadelphia

Ottawa over Montreal

Toronto over Tampa Bay

Toronto over Ottawa

WEST

Colorado over Edmonton

Detroit over Dallas

St. Louis over Los Angeles

Vancouver over Anaheim

Colorado over St. Louis

Detroit over Vancouver

Detroit over Colorado

STANLEY CUP FINALS

Toronto over Detroit

Yeah, maybe I'm dreaming, but these are MY predictions.

*plans Stanley Cup parade*

STANLEY CUP FINALS

Toronto over Detroit

Yeah, maybe I'm dreaming, but these are MY predictions.

*plans Stanley Cup parade*

As long as your non-dream means Ottawa finally wastes away Toronto, and they'll face Detroit, I'll buy the rest of your predictions.

Although, Edmonton will NOT make the playoffs. I'm an Oiler fan, but even I'm going

"NO CHANCE IN HELL"

Yeah, the Sens aren't beating the Leafs in the playoffs anytime soon, so I'm not dreaming about that.

I see it being a toss-up between the Predators and the Oilers, whatever team gets hot down the stretch makes it in.

Leafs fans like TC make me laugh.

Chris, we should make another Bobby Clarke picture so that if he REALLY screws something up, we can have two.

2 > 1

Leafs fans like TC make me laugh.

I'll be laughing last. Or, maybe I'll be crying, I don't know.

I'll take crying.

How's this for a Wirtz picture?

:firing: 40199.jpg