TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest JMA

If Angle had joined the WWF in 97

Guest JMA

Let's say that instead of Shamrock, the WWF hired Angle to ref the match between Austin and Hart. And let's say he joined like Shamrock did. How different would the industry be? Think of all the matches we could've seen. Angle vs. Vader, Angle vs. Hart, Angle vs. Austin (pre-neck injury), Angle vs. Michaels, Angle vs. Owen...

Guest Choken One

Angle wouldn't be what we know him to be because Shamrock only trained for a short amount of time and it took Angle almost A year of training before he was called Up...

His character would have been drastically different, as he would have been a Legit Bad Ass rather then the Cocky Arrgant Gold Medalist...

So Angle likely, never would have broke out

Guest JMA
Angle wouldn't be what we know him to be because Shamrock only trained for a short amount of time and it took Angle almost A year of training before he was called Up...

His character would have been drastically different, as he would have been a Legit Bad Ass rather then the Cocky Arrgant Gold Medalist...

That seems a little overtly negative. I find this to be the case a lot of the time when a hypothetical situation is presented. I feel his character would've been presented at first as the bad ass legitimate athlete but would have become his classic cocky character during 2000.

I think Shamrock was better for that particular role simply because he was already a known badass and fit the attitude of the match better than Angle would. Angle had just come off winning the Olympics the previous year, and Vince would have played off that as much as possible...of course then maybe we wouldn't have had to suffer through The Patriot.

Guest The Real Nosferatu

The Patriot had been around for years before Angle (I remember seeing matches of him from 1990) so it wasn't Vince's idea to make that character.

Also, wasn't Angle recovering from his broken neck in March 1997? Or Did he have it magically cured after the olympics.

Guest JMA
Also, wasn't Angle recovering from his broken neck in March 1997? Or Did he have it magically cured after the olympics.

He wouldn't be wrestling right away. Besides, we all know that broken necks can't stop your Olympic Hero. :)

Guest Boo_Bradley

Shamrock worked the indies during the late 80's with the Malenkos - WWF didn't train him

angle didnt enter the wwf as a cocky gold medalist, he was a baby face at first. i remember him having a feud with tiger ali singh when he had some india is better than america gimmick goin on, but i think angle got hurt before that went anywhere and then came back with the cocky olympic hero gimmick. i was watching the kurt angle its true its true video a few days ago and i just wish wwe would turn him heel again. some of the promos on that video were some of the funniest ive ever seen. his character seems kinda lame now

Guest Choken One

That was a pretty Isolated Incident...Considering it was nearly a year apart from his WWE debut in 1999...

angle didnt enter the wwf as a cocky gold medalist, he was a baby face at first. i remember him having a feud with tiger ali singh when he had some india is better than america gimmick goin on, but i think angle got hurt before that went anywhere and then came back with the cocky olympic hero gimmick. i was watching the kurt angle its true its true video a few days ago and i just wish wwe would turn him heel again. some of the promos on that video were some of the funniest ive ever seen. his character seems kinda lame now

Actually that wasn't really a feud at all. It was more just to get heat on Tiger Ali Singh and his anti-american gimmick. Of course they did originally plan to have him debut against Stasiak as a face, but the fans reaction to his pre-debut vignettes and to Angle himself made him a heel.

I get the feeling that if Angle debuted in '97, then by now he'd probably be retired from the business because of his neck. We'd probably be talking about how good he was, and wondering what might have been.

Guest The Real Nosferatu

Angle did face Owen btw, in a Dark Match on RAW..or a House Show, I forget.

So at least he acomplished one thing we wish. Too bad it wasn't on T.V

Guest JMA
I get the feeling that if Angle debuted in '97, then by now he'd probably be retired from the business because of his neck. We'd probably be talking about how good he was, and wondering what might have been.

I have to disagree. I think he'd still be working today. In fact, he might even be better than he is now (if someone as good as Angle CAN improve). Think about it. He'd be able to learn stuff from Bret, Shawn, Owen, and even Austin.

Actually that wasn't really a feud at all. It was more just to get heat on Tiger Ali Singh and his anti-american gimmick. Of course they did originally plan to have him debut against Stasiak as a face, but the fans reaction to his pre-debut vignettes and to Angle himself made him a heel.

FUN FACT: Angle def. Stasiak in a dark match at KOTR '99.

Speaking of which, I always did want to see Shamrock / Angle.

I can just imagine Shamrock coming out of nowhere and beating up Angle during some match screaming "You stole my Anklelock!"

Shamrock had the much better anklelock. He had the kick ass version where he sat down with one of his legs crossing over the back of his opponents knee. Angle does the gay standing version which everyone reverses.

Guest JMA

I'm actually glad Shamrock and Angle never faced each other. I was never too keen on shoot fighters becoming pro wrestlers. Besides, Shamrock did the standing version a lot as well.

Shamrock had the much better anklelock. He had the kick ass version where he sat down with one of his legs crossing over the back of his opponents knee. Angle does the gay standing version which everyone reverses.

Well that is because he is usually the heel in the situation, Shammy was usually the face.

Plus the Angle "character" being cocky would say "Hey I can get this guy to tap just by half-assing this move" while the legit bad ass "Shammrock" character would do the move proper

Its all in the character of the character

Steve