Guest Randy Pan

Was Vince Russo good for TNA?

Was Vince Russo good for TNA?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Was Vince Russo good for TNA?

• Yes
    • No

Guest Randy Pan

Now that is reign is all but over, Do you think it was a good move to hire him?

Whilst I must admit he improved the stability and trimmed their roster, we could have used a few more clean finishes and some angles seemed to go nowhere (Yes, I am talking about SEX)

Personally, I don't think he was the right man for the job, even though i think they have improved since he took over. your thoughts?

Guest Coffey

Did I miss something? Is Vince Russo leaving? Just because that new dude is coming in doesn't mean that Russo won't be blastered everywhere...does it?

I wouldn't mind. Let that be known.

Once Mantel comes in full-time, Russo is pretty much being phased out. Mantel's price is probably cheaper, and his results are better than Russo's. Plus, Mantel goes by an old-school philosophy of MAKING SENSE, whereas Russo tries to stick to shock factor still.

Overall, I'd say TNA benefitted from Russo more than a lot of us would probably like to think. The announcement of Russo's involvement DID increase the fanbase, as did the SEX vs. TNA storyline (even if the ending was awful and non-existant, the ride was pretty good, and created some captivating television).

Guest Coffey

That's what I'm asking though. When Mantel is in full-time, Vince Russo isn't going to just get fired is he? Probably not. So, he'll still be around in some capacity. Maybe he'll remain an on-screen character? Whatever...

I agree with what Corey said.

IMO, Russo can still be very useful. He's not a bad writer (better than the current WWE writers), but for every good story he has, he'll lay an egg -- although a majority of the time those eggs have a so bad its good factor.

Guest Doyo

I'm pretty sure that I read in the Observer or somewhere that buyrates went down overall

after Russo got involved and then they picked back up when his booking role was diminished,

such as when they had the X tournament with Juvi and Hart.

Guest dvkorn

Some ideas of his are good but he is more hit and miss... which i think has been said numerous times but overall, i think his negatives outweigh the positives...

I think Disco Inferno hurts the writing more than Russo. I just can't imagine that guy coming up with a good idea after hearing some of the gimmicks he came up with for WCW that were never approved.

Guest The Real Nosferatu

Russo did more good than bad I think.

Hell, I started watching TNA on a regular basis when the SEX v. Tradition angle began.

What were the gimmick ideas Gilberti had that weren't aproved by WCW?

Guest Dynamite Kido

Honestly, I think he was bad. His crash TV style isn't exactly what TNA should be doing. I think the one thing that can popularize wrestling is exactly that.......wrestling.

Once Mantel comes in full-time, Russo is pretty much being phased out. Mantel's price is probably cheaper, and his results are better than Russo's. Plus, Mantel goes by an old-school philosophy of MAKING SENSE, whereas Russo tries to stick to shock factor still.

Overall, I'd say TNA benefitted from Russo more than a lot of us would probably like to think. The announcement of Russo's involvement DID increase the fanbase, as did the SEX vs. TNA storyline (even if the ending was awful and non-existant, the ride was pretty good, and created some captivating television).

I totally agree with Laz.

Russo did more good than wrong, believe it or not. He was very creative, but didn't always make perfet sense, which is why people come down on him. He was too concerned with making a huge impact at once, rather than a few smaller ones that could lead to a big one.