TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Doomsault

Bands you recentley discovered....

Guest Doomsault

I myself just found out about Dimmu Borgir, they are so freakin awesome, I'm usually not into the extreme death metal thing but these guys changed my view.

Man I haven't marked out like that since I last watched Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Movie.

Guest Choken One

Recently? Define that...

If within the last few weeks...Gotta say Killswitch Engage has replaced Life of Agony on my Cd Player and gets CONSTANT replay...

Guest DVD Spree

Well, since I'm a huge HIM mark I've been checking out each of the band member's side projects.

Daniel Lioneye's album is pretty awesome ("King of Rock n Roll" is quite the little song), but I just checked out the drummer Gas' side band called Bend Over, who are a really bizarre Finish Metallica-sounding group. Oddly cool.

Guest Doomsault

I'm talking within the last few months or so I guess.

H.I.M., hell yes.

Guest Nanks

Kinda punkish band called Star 10 who played a set at my uni a couple of weeks ago. Really unpolished right now but they're young

I was recently forced to go to a concert of 'Yes'. I'd heard the name but not the music. I was impressed to say the least, and since then I've collected a respectable amount of their work. Their albums from the early 70's are really good, and I'd recommend that before any later stuff.

Guest Agent of Oblivion
I myself just found out about Dimmu Borgir, they are so freakin awesome, I'm usually not into the extreme death metal thing but these guys changed my view.

If you like Dimmu, you might like:

Emperor

Immortal

Dragonlord (horrible name, but they're decent)

Lots of orchestration, good vocals, riffage..some pretty damn good shit.

I've recently really gotten into King Crimson. Incredibly awesome band that at times is weirder, and more progressive than Pink Floyd, yet no one's ever really heard of them. They've been making music since the late sixties, still tour, albeit with a different lineup than the original, although that's changed several times anyway. Robert Fripp is insanely talented, and one of the most creative songwriters I've ever heard.

Guest DVD Spree
H.I.M., hell yes.

Hell the hell yes!

This is gonna sound weird, but I've only recently discovered The Rolling Stones (braces, prepares for flaming).

I don't know, I've never really liked their stuff before, but The Neptune's remix of "Sympathy For The Devil" has been playing a lot on the music channels recently and now I just can't get enough of them. Who'd have thought - it took an American pop remix of a British rock band to turn a British listener on to them. The Queen would be disappointed in me.

Look out, first post.

Most recently I've been getting into more jam style rock bands, and the Disco Biscuits have to be the best I've heard. Nice funky parts and technoesque jams.

Good stuff, see them live.

Dub

Not exactly discovered because I knew a couple of their older songs, but with recently picking up the Freddy vs. Jason soundtrack and their new CD coming out last week, I've been on a bit of an Ill Nino kick lately.

If anyone liked their song from FvJ (How Can I Live), it is on their CD, along with a Spanish version.. mu-ha.

About the Killswitch Engage comment, yes, someone played some of them for me recently and they are really cool.

Guest whatitistoburn
S.T.U.N.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but S.T.U.N. is seriously one of the worst bands I've ever heard.

That said...

Trivium bring the insane metal attack, as well as being the best band to come out of nowhere I've heard all year.

Your opinion will change when you see them live.

Anyways, bands just got digging into again is KMFDM

Guest renegade v.1

Rammstein

My brother is into them and i decided to have a listen and they rock. even though i don't understand them it sounds good.

...The Mooney Suzuki...

Not to play the name-dropping loser, but my friend Jessica married Tyler their guitarist last year. We used to go to his family's produce farm in NJ to pick pumpkins for Halloween. Really nice guy.

And Saturn, if you want to get into old Killing Joke, definitely pick up Night Time and Brighter Than a Thousand Suns. Great stuff.

Lately I've been digging The Streets, but they're the kind of artist that I know in like 3 months I'll start to dislike and then won't listen to again.

Am I the only one who does that? Finds a new artist that they really dig, but then just stop liking them altogether? Happens all the time to me.

Guest El Satanico
Lately I've been digging The Streets, but they're the kind of artist that I know in like 3 months I'll start to dislike and then won't listen to again.

Am I the only one who does that? Finds a new artist that they really dig, but then just stop liking them altogether? Happens all the time to me.

I also discovered The Street a few months ago and I like them.

I don't stop liking a band on my own. I may get sick of a band and not listen to them for awhile, but I don't stop liking them on my own. However, If something I liked suddenly finds mainstream success and gets played on the radio at ad naseum levels, I tend to start hating them. So I do occasionally do it, but the radio is always at blame.

Solution: stop listening to the radio. At least mainstream radio. That stuff will rot your brain.

Like good women, good music will find you. I always seem to encounter great bands through college stations, recommendations from friends, or as opening acts for bands I see live. In fact, the bands I mentioned in this thread were all opening acts from recent shows.

Guest El Satanico

I've rarely listened to the radio over the last few years. You can listen for one hour two days in a row to get sick of the popular songs. So it's not always a matter of listening to the radio alot.

Besides there's a few local channels who play decent stuff, so it's not that bad when I do listen to the radio.