TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Doomsault

Bands you recentley discovered....

Guest Doomsault
I myself just found out about Dimmu Borgir, they are so freakin awesome, I'm usually not into the extreme death metal thing but these guys changed my view.

Your opinion will change when you see them live.

Anyways, bands just got digging into again is KMFDM

Are you saying they suck live?

Most death/black metal bands ARE horrible live. Morbid Angel is HORRENDOUS live. The stage show is boring (just the band members standing still while playing their generic death metal riffs), and they...well...they fucking suck. I saw them open for Pantera/Slayer, and they did NOTHING.

If I'm seeing a band live, they better do something more than just stand there. At least move the fuck around.

Guest SweetNSexyDiva

I just recently have been listening to Mest and AFI... Really like them so far.

Guest Agent of Oblivion
Most death/black metal bands ARE horrible live. Morbid Angel is HORRENDOUS live. The stage show is boring (just the band members standing still while playing their generic death metal riffs), and they...well...they fucking suck. I saw them open for Pantera/Slayer, and they did NOTHING.

If I'm seeing a band live, they better do something more than just stand there. At least move the fuck around.

LIES~!

Morbid Angel was insane live. I saw the same lineup one year prior to the tour Laz saw, w/ Pantera and Soulfly, and they tore the place down. Yeah, they didn't dance around or do a whole lot as far as stage antics go, because they were too busy nailing every single song, and effortlessly flowing into the next, only stopping twice to do the friendly metal band banter with the crowd.

I swear Pete Sandoval's feet stopped kicking drums for about 2 minutes of their set. Guy was awe-inspiring. The sound was fine, and accomodated all of their REALLY low bassy stuff exceptionally well. Awesome live band.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Dimmu Borgir when playing live is the exact polar opposite of the above.

I've rediscovered Outkast lately. I'm not really a hip hop fan, but when Stankonia came out in 2000, the hit singles totally won me. Then I got the album, and the rest of it annoyed the living piss out of me. I ended up giving the album away due to my hatred of it. Recently, the "Hey Ya" song got me curious again. I listened to Stankonia on Rhapsody last week and while the skits still piss me off, the music itself is not how I remembered it. Being three years older, I have a much better understanding of the world and I appreciate it all the more now. I actually want to add Stankonia back to my record collection and the new double album as well.

Just found out about Joy Division -- have "Substance" and "Closer." They're a bit broody, but they really grow on you.

Aside from that, there are a number of bands that I'd heard of extensively before, but am just now getting around to REALLY getting into... I'm finally going past "Zen Arcade" as far as Husker Du goes, and I've finally got myself a Jefferson Airplane album.

Also, my new friend's band "Run Audio Run," as young and rookie-like they are, kicks ass.

Oh, and yes, I'm finally breaking down the "All-non-Beastie-Boys-hip-hop MUST die!" barrier and getting into Outkast. Sue me.

Guest Frank The Tank

Fozzy and they rule all. :headbang:

Also Killswitch Engage and In Flames. They are alright I guess, I like KSE better.

Have recently gotten into 80's Matchbox B-Line Disaster, they rock. As well as Turbonegro, who i saw at Reading under the recomendation of who else i was with tere and it was totally worth it.

Guest Burrito

Recently as in the past 3 months or so:

Death By Stereo

Recently as in the beggining of the year:

KillSwitch Engage, Shadows Fall, and Superjoint Ritual

I saw KillSwitch and Shadows Fall at Ozzfest this summer and was kinda dissapointed at the short ass sets, but I'm gonna check them out during the Headbangers Ball tour which should kick all kinds of ass.

Guest FrigidSoul

I've been listening to them for a long time now but it appears for some reason outside of Mass in the late 80s and early 90s(and perhaps Seattle where they are from) Metal Church isn't known of. Pick-up The Dark album and listen to one of the top 3 Metal Albums ever made

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Burrito, you should really check out Down, if you haven't yet. Phil Anselmo's best stuff was on their Nola release. Lightyears ahead of Superjoint.

Guest Burrito

Yeah Agent, I like Down too. I saw them last year at Ozzfest and ever since I've been hooked. I was listening to Stone the Crow just as I was reading your response. Cool :headbang:

-Burrito

Guest Doomsault

A friend also recentley turned me on to Iced Earth, they're kind of like Metallica but they are a little more experimental.

I too, have been jamming Soilwork alot lately. I thought from the first time I heard them last year that the vocalist sounded a bit like devin townsend. Then, I find out that Devin produced thei last two albums, which makes them MUCH cooler in my eyes. You work with hevy Devy, you're alright with me.

I've also really been digging Liz Phair lately. I've been a fan of hers for years now, but in the last two months, I've been listening to her stuff almost non-stop.

Guest Doomsault
A friend also recentley turned me on to Iced Earth, they're kind of like Metallica but they are a little more experimental.

I think Iced Earth are a little more like Iron Maiden.

Yeah, that is a little better comparison, but I think they are a little harder.