TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
cynicalprofit

How would a crowd react to a move for move redo

Lets say two wreslters went out there and did steamboat savage move for move, would it still get over? Would it still be a 5* match? Would it be booed outright? What about a flair steamboat match move for move redo?

Guest Choken One

they wouldn't even realize it was a carbon copy live and I doubt most would right away on tv...

it's all depends on the wrestlers, I mean London and Kendrick could do it just fine but SOH and Rhyno? That wouldn't work well...

I've always wanted to see a match that BLATANTLY rips off classic match, they should just take two wrestlers like Spanky and London and give them a week to learn a classic match for them to duplicate.

Guest Choken One
No, because the context would be different. Besides, those matches sucked.

Ok, they didn't suck, but there are better matches to re-enact.

Id ask what matches but That's a can of worms...

But for example I don't think you can duplicate a Match perfectly because such as the savage/steamer match...You need the aura of "93,000" people there, you could do it in the TNA bingo hall if you want but it wouldn't be the same... it's all about the aura, the feeling the story...

Besides the announcers would not know how to put the match over anyway. Tazz & Cole maybe but not JR & King and Coach & Al would be completely clueless.

Well DDP probably has his match with Goldberg written down from Halloween Havoc 98 still, so I guess they could use that one.

What do you mean, probably; he had storyboards drawn out for it.

Guest JumpinJackFlash

Remember that RVD/Jericho match from a month ago? Well, that would probably be equivalent to Savage/Steamboat of today, given the wrestlers who participated, the moves pulled off, the length, and the crowd reaction.

Guest OnlyMe

FWIW, I always thought a classic match recreation would be a cool addition to a wrestling video game. Obviously no interaction, just watching the character models doing the match.

Wouldn't be that hard to implement, either...

I think it's a very good idea to pay homage to certain sequences if they have any relevance to either of the wrestlers in the match, for example Austin bleeding in the sharpshooter at WMX7. But a whole match, deliberately?

The current fans were not born when that happened, so as the old NBC slogan goes "It's New to Me"

I think most wrestling fans are people who began watching over again in 98, and started watching the Hogan-era first.

The other problem would be the storylines and buildups that made classic matches even more exciting would be horribly absent

Ex:

Steamboat attempting to avenge his "life-threatening" injuries against Savage

Flair and Steamboat wrestling their hearts out for the most coveted belt in wrestling

Bret and Owen fighting over sibling rivalry and a HUGE amount of personal pride

If you just threw any two wrestlers out there to reproduce a classic match move for move... it just wouldn't work

Let the new wrestlers make classic matches in their own style and story. I know we won't see it with the MAIN EVENT STYLE in the WWE, but there's hope for other feds (or outgoing 'E' wrestlers who just don't give a shit)

Pat Patterson once said in a short speech about Wrestlemania (specifically about Bret/Austin II) that it takes the "right two wrestlers" to have that type of (great) match, and that "not anybody" can do it, so I don't think it'd work.

Guest MikeSC
FWIW, I always thought a classic match recreation would be a cool addition to a wrestling video game. Obviously no interaction, just watching the character models doing the match.

Wouldn't be that hard to implement, either...

AJPW Giant Gram on the Dreamcast basically had that, actually. Had to pull off certain moves in the proper order and you'd get clips of the match after you did it.

-=Mike

I'm saying they wouldn't even notice.....

I agree. Can't see too many people saying: "OMG, they just did a punch followed by a kick followed by a knee to the throat followed by an elbow off the top rope, followed by a 2.5 count followed by another clothesline. They're copying Savage-Steamboat from WMIII!!!"

I think it's a very good idea to pay homage to certain sequences if they have any relevance to either of the wrestlers in the match, for example Austin bleeding in the sharpshooter at WMX7. But a whole match, deliberately?

There's no reason to completely rehash a match from the past. But to pay homage to a famous spot, like Austin bleeding in the Sharpshooter, is perfectly acceptable, but should definitely not be overdone.

Guest Plushy Al Logan

It only works in wrestling games with different people. It's funny to see a bloody Hogan tapping out to a Camel clutch from Axl Rose.