TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

Sell Me On the Salary Cap

Guest Choken One
Hey, awesome, the small market teams can compete?

How many series have they won in the last 10 years?

Well, let's see. Arizona & Florida don't count because those championships were bought, and the Angels are owned by Disney, so they probably shouldn't count either.

I will go with 0.

Actually, Angels were small market as Disney was trying to sell them and they didnt exactly have a large payroll.

Once again, You can have a rich owner, its all about having rich owners that give a shit.

Guest Choken One

By market I was refering to payroll...

Cincinnati had a FAT payroll in the early 90's but is a small market in the size sense...

Guest Smell the ratings!!!

The White Sox are a small market team. And they share a freaking city with a big market team.

Guest Choken One
There's a big difference between "market" and "payroll."  St. Louis is a small market, but has a fairly large payroll.

St. Louis has a high payroll in every sport they have a team...

...and it's considered one of the biggest sports towns in America.

That's not a small market, dillweed.

SMALL CITY!

Market is refered to in two senses...One in Payroll and one in Size...

St. Louis is a small "size" market compared to NY, Boston, Chicago...

There's a big difference between "market" and "payroll."  St. Louis is a small market, but has a fairly large payroll.

No need for personal attacks. St. Louis has a smaller population compared to other baseball cities.

Guest Choken One
Here's a serious question. If baseball had a salary cap, what would stop the Yankees from turning into baseball's answer to the Lakers?

Or Dallas Cowboys or Niners.

Once again, all it boils down to is scouting and the ability to put the right team together.

Here's a serious question. If baseball had a salary cap, what would stop the Yankees from turning into baseball's answer to the Lakers?

Other teams have a shot at the Laker's because not all stars are willing to take the exception unless they are older players like Payton or Malone.

No need for personal attacks. St. Louis has a smaller population compared to other baseball cities.

Sorry, tired.

They're still not a small market.

Guest Choken One
Here's a serious question.  If baseball had a salary cap, what would stop the Yankees from turning into baseball's answer to the Lakers?

Other teams have a shot at the Laker's because not all stars are willing to take the exception unless they are older players like Payton or Malone.

true but you always hear players talk about the respect they have for the yankee history...

Tradition and Prestige is a great sell over a Pittsburgh or Kansas City

Look I don't really care who has how much money. This is a sport, and if one team spends more than the others, regardless of the reason, that team will have more success. Like I said, a cap won't work when one team spends $150 million a year and one spends $30 million. But if Steinbrenner tries to give Vlad $20 million a year or whatever retarded number, tax his nuts off. Make him spend his cash so he can't just outbid everyone when he decides he wants an 8th starter.

Ugh...this topic isn't going to go anywhere but I'll just say this that there is no such thing as a small market. Well Green Bay is but the NFL is structured differently. Small market at the very least is an overused term.

Just to use my A's as an example as most non-A's fans who don't follow them regularly would think of the A's as a small market team but forgetting that they play in a very large market in the San Francisco Bay Area, all be it a shared one. Also probably wouldn't know that their previous owner Walter Haas had no problem with spending money and the A's during the late and 80s and early 90s had very high payrolls. Probably do know that the current owner (Steve Schott) doesn't like spending money. The market the A's play in has had little effect on the money they have spent or not spent over the years but rather how much their owner is willing to spend and that is the case is most so called small markets.

Guest FrigidSoul
Besides, the Yankees lose Clemens after this year. Pettitte's a free agent, and Wells is 40. They may run into problems yet.

Except the Yankees (being in the largest sports market out there) have the power to go out and sign Colon, Milwood, Gary Sheffield, Keith Foulke, etc and have a payroll hovering around $200mill where as the next largest market is going to have about $105mill thus they get the second rates and small market teams have to hope they have prospects that they can sign long term before the prospects figure out how much they're really worth. The only reason the Yankees haven't swept everybody under is because Giambi has fought off a series of injuries with his eyes and knees this year and alot of their other players have fought off injuries as well, which is basically the approach you need to take with them...hope they get hit with injuries. Even then though they have the money to go out and buy what they need (Buying Arron Boone, Felix Heredia, and Gabe White from the Reds)

A salary cap or a ban on George Steinbrenner will fix this

Guest Salacious Crumb

Payroll stats off ESPN:

1. NY Yankees 156,948,495

2. Los Angeles 115,764,287

3. Boston 100,651,177

4. Atlanta 99,195,593

5. San Francisco 89,052,167

6. Seattle 87,184,500

7. NY Mets 86,341,429

8. Chicago Cubs 86,252,833

9. St. Louis 84,106,269

10. Arizona 75,914,933

11. Texas 72,941,367

12. Philadelphia 70,452,500

13. Chicago Sox 68,949,684

14. Anaheim 68,325,467

15. Minnesota 67,795,500

16. Baltimore 67,502,275

17. Houston 66,864,840

18. Colorado 59,711,017

19. Cincinnati 58,436,777

20. Florida 52,538,298

21. Oakland 49,277,634

22. Cleveland 47,610,134

23. Detroit 46,564,000

24. Montreal 45,834,500

25. San Diego 44,524,500

26. Kansas City 43,323,500

27. Pittsburgh 42,106,059

28. Milwaukee 27,887,000

29. Toronto 27,523,500

30. Tampa Bay 18,730,000

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/teams/salaries?team=nyy

Guest Choken One

Sorry, tired.

They're still not a small market.

49th biggest city in America buddy. 9th in Payroll.

Here's my thoughts on what should happen. The labor contract runs until 1006, so obviously nothing will happen before then. At that point, the Yankees will fall back in line, as their high priced players age, and the sabermetric revolution in Boston and Toronto picks up steam.

I just don't think baseball should take such a huge step unless there's a SERIOUS problem. There's competition out there, so I think baseball's ok.

Guest FrigidSoul
Just to use my A's as an example as most non-A's fans who don't follow them regularly would think of the A's as a small market team but forgetting that they play in a very large market in the San Francisco Bay Area, all be it a shared one. Also probably wouldn't know that their previous owner Walter Haas had no problem with spending money and the A's during the late and 80s and early 90s had very high payrolls. Probably do know that the current owner (Steve Schott) doesn't like spending money. The market the A's play in has had little effect on the money they have spent or not spent over the years but rather how much their owner is willing to spend and that is the case is most so called small markets.

From what I've read and heard however the Giants have most of the rights to exclusively air their games in many of the Oakland area communities thus canceling out some revenue that Oakland could be getting. Along with the fact that the Colliseum is built near an industrial park from what I was told thus making it more and more uninviting every year now

Even then though they have the money to go out and buy what they need (Buying Arron Boone, Felix Heredia, and Gabe White from the Reds0

Felix Heredia came off waivers. ANY other team that wanted him would have a choice before the Yankees.

before people point to Florida and Oakland as succesful small teams, where are Pudge and Tejada playing next year?

I was a salary cap fan in high school, but then I got out in the real world and that opinion changed.

Could baseball use some form of revenue sharing to make some cellar dwellers "more competitive"? Probably. But who is to guarantee that these MLB welfare queens would do anything with the money besides pocket it?

Oh, and my definition of "small/large" market is based on area population. I'd consider St. Louis a mid-size market...

Guest FrigidSoul
Even then though they have the money to go out and buy what they need (Buying Arron Boone, Felix Heredia, and Gabe White from the Reds0

Felix Heredia came off waivers. ANY other team that wanted him would have a choice before the Yankees.

Did they purchase him or not though? Perhaps other teams couldn't afford him and didn't want to get hit with his contract (which I believe is about $2mill) if nobody else claimed him.

Here's my thoughts on what should happen. The labor contract runs until 1006, so obviously nothing will happen before then. At that point, the Yankees will fall back in line, as their high priced players age,

The Yankees will just sign another 10 free agents to replace them.

And damn, baseball has been going a long time without a labor agreement... :P