TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

Sell Me On the Salary Cap

A salary cap punishes teams that have a history of success, and that's something I simply don't believe in doing. Players want to play for the Yankees for a reason: they have a long history of success. Why penalize them for that?

Yes, I agree that it would be nice if teams could resign their own players, but the problem occurs when the Yanks go after virtually every big name free agent out there. That is what needs to stop. Oakland has as much right to keep their own players as the Yanks. Free Agency can't be abolished, so it is something that simply must be done for the greater good. Competitive balance must be restored.

Actually, the dollar has gotten much better over the past year. Do some research.

It still isn't near the level of 10 years ago.

Guest FrigidSoul

Speaking of both Sid(god only knows why) and Baseball has Sid gone back to being a proffesional German softball player yet now that his wrestling career is officially dead?

This postseason was WM 18. With Rock/Hogan being two legends (Red Sox and Yankees being legendary teams) competing against each other in a huge event.

Followed by post injury HHH/Jericho that going in looked like it could range anywhere between bad and very good, but everyone was so burnt out they didn't care.

I don't know if that's an apt comparison.  No one cares about a Yankees/Marlins series, but that doesn't mean the games won't be any good.

Tell me that after Florida drops four straight.

I really don't think that's a safe bet. I think the Yanks will win. But the Marlins won over 90 games and have scored plenty of runs in each series. Plus both rotations are skewed going in so the series will be close.

I really don't think that's a safe bet. I think the Yanks will win. But the Marlins won over 90 games and have scored plenty of runs in each series. Plus both rotations are skewed going in so the series will be close.

Possibly, but who gives a shit? It's Florida and New York. This is just like the Stanley Cup when I pulled for Ottawa and Minnesota and got Anaheim and Jersey. I was so anticipating the video montage with "End Of The World As We Know It" and "O Fortuna" and everything and they pull it away from me...and America.

I'd be willing to bet the ALCS and NLCS get better ratings than the World Series. Like the bottom just drops out.

Guest Choken One

well The ALCS got near Superbowl Numbers from early indicators, so of course The world series will not be as high but hopefully, the casual watchers remembered or learned what was so appealing and beautiful about the game itself and were compelled by the amazing playing and drama.

Is there sentimental attachment to either teams? Other then the "I hate the yankees I hope they die" loyalists...Florida's cinderella gimmick been done two years straight by Anaheim and Arizona....

as for the series itself? I think it will be closer one then we expect, New York's pitching is buried and exhausted which gives Florida, a more rested team a little more leeway to take a quick advantage.

I can't rememember the last time going into a World Series where the respective coaches had no idea who would start game TWO.

Another example of how the A's get killed by large market teams is the that every year at midseason they make that blockbuster trade that usually provides someone good, but not so much a "star" that anchors the team in the second half and helps them into the playoffs, however the A's never have the ability to keep that player once the season is over because of their contract, or new contract looming.

Guest FrigidSoul
Another example of how the A's get killed by large market teams is the that every year at midseason they make that blockbuster trade that usually provides someone good, but not so much a "star" that anchors the team in the second half and helps them into the playoffs, however the A's never have the ability to keep that player once the season is over because of their contract, or new contract looming.

You'll take solice in knowing that they're going to resign Jose Guillen and do their damndest to trade T-Long

Yet they keep winning. The A's choose to live a bottom of the barrel existance with their payroll. There's no reason why they can't spend twice of what they do. The A's have a fairly large national following.

Guest FrigidSoul
The A's have a fairly large national following.

Actually they don't and haven't since the days of the Bash Brothers as all their marketable hitters have left for more money/Oakland not being able to afford them

Its sad but most people do dig the long ball nowadays more than a pitcher who can go 9innings and strike-out 15

The A's choose to live a bottom of the barrel existance with their payroll.  There's no reason why they can't spend twice of what they do.

Errrrrrrrr twice as much I'd say is a little much even though I'm on the side that its mainly the A's owner Steve Schott being unwilling to spend the money rather than the A's not having the money to spend. I'd say the A's could spend at least $20 million more than they do, payroll was around $50 million last year.

Oh and someone mentioned Terrence Long, rumor is pitching coach Rick Peterson might be going to the Mets and the A's won't ask for compensation but rather that the Mets take Long and his contract off their hands.

The interesting thing is that this pattern of postseason futility is not uncommon. I've been meaning to write this stuff down, and this seems as good an opportunity to do so.

1907-09 Detroit Tigers

Hall of Famers Ty Cobb and Sam Crawford led this team to three consecutive American League titles, and three consectutive World Series defeats. Only in 1909 did they win more than 1 game. The problem? They simply encountered better teams. The 07-08 Cubs are among baseball's dominant teams, as are the 1909 Pittsburgh Pirates. Afterwards, the Tigers fell to the middle of the pack, and did not win another pennant until 1934.

1911-13 New York Giants

John McGraw's Giants won 100 games almost every year, but just couldn't win the Series. As with the Tigers, they just faced better teams. In 1911 and 1913, they wound up against Connie Mack's juggernaut Athletics. In 1912, they had the misfortune of one of the most infamous errors in baseball history. In game 8 of the 1912 World Series (one game was a tie), outfielder Fred Snodgrass muffed a routine fly ball. The Red Sox scored two runs that inning and beat the Giants. The Giants fell a bit the next few years, but won the NL pennant in 1917, and won four straight NL titles in 1921-24, along with two World Championships.

1916-53 Brooklyn Dodgers

The Dodgers lost seven World Series before they finally won in 1953. In 1941, catcher Mickey Owen let the last strike by him in game four, and the Yankees scored four runs in the ninth. The Yankees won the series in 5. The Dodgers took the Series seven games in 1947 and 52. The '52 and '53 World Series are considered among the best ever. The Dodgers finally won in 1955, and later won World Championships in 1959, '63, and '65.

1976-78 Philadelphia Phillies

Three division titles, and three losses in the LCS. 1976 is excused because they faced the Big Red Machine. 77 and 78 they lost out to the Dodgers. The Phillies rebounded to win the World Series in 1980.

1976-78 Kansas City Royals

Talk about redundancy. The Royals lost three straight Series to the New York Yankees. Two of the three went five games. In 1977, the Royals were three outs away before the Yankees came back to win. The Royals rebounded to make it to the Series in 1980, and won the World Series in 1985.

1990-92 Pittsburgh Pirates

Twice they came a game away from the World Series, and once they took a two run lead into the bottom of the ninth. The Pirates lost Barry Bonds and top starter Doug Drabek afterwards, and have yet to recover.

There you go. Which route will the A's take? I think they're in good shape, considering the big three are still around, and Rich Harden is in the wings. Losing Tejada won't hurt as much as people think. Alot of teams succeeded after failure.

Guest FrigidSoul
Oh and someone mentioned Terrence Long, rumor is pitching coach Rick Peterson might be going to the Mets and the A's won't ask for compensation but rather that the Mets take Long and his contract off their hands.

Fuck the Mets, I want Rick Peterson to take over the managerial position from Grady Little to no Brains