TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

The ONE and ONLY World Series Thread

As for Anaheim and San Fran, well, can you get behind a team that wave red dildos :)

Provided they size them down a bit for easier use... yes

Guest Anglesault
Well, I wasn't near my computer for the game so I couldn't post.

To make a long story short, this is what is going to happen all series. I have total faith in the Marlins to totally dismantle the Yankees.

Like they did tonight with that massive...one run lead.

The Marlins BLEW so MANY opportunities tonight

As did the Yankees.

And I'm sure we'll see what happens when the fish have to start facing guys like Clemens and Mussina and even "number 4" starter David Wells on rest.

mussina faces Beckett, no question the better pitcher in these playoffs. Just keep underestimating the Marlins, Ditaliano, just like everyone else did. You'll have plenty to complain about in the offeseason.

As for the Goat

How exactly did an event from 1945 explain problems that started almost 40 years earlier?

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the legend goes that the curse placed on them said that they would never play another World Series game again (or something along those lines), and, since then, they haven't.

Guest Anglesault
mussina faces Beckett, no question the better pitcher in these playoffs. Just keep underestimating the Marlins, Ditaliano, just like everyone else did. You'll have plenty to complain about in the offeseason.

I'm not underestimating the Marlins.

You've already called a sweep of one of the best teams in baseball.

I have it going six or seven.

But wait, I'm overlooking the fact that the YANKEES ARE IN THE WORLD SERIES!! THAT'S NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE !!! WOOOO!!!

Well, the Cubs have been in the world series...as have the Marlins, and hey, lookie, the Sox as well.

Maybe all four should have forfeited ther spots to Tampa and Colorado.

And according to my "Gone "fishin'" pullout, the storyline is "the classic match of the haves and the have nots."

Take it for what it's worth.

As for Anaheim and San Fran, well, can you get behind a team that wave red dildos :)

:rolleyes:

See, if you weren't grasping for straws in your argument, you would realize that this comment was based on sarcasm, as this makes the 6th out of 8 times that the Yankees have appeared in the World Series. What makes this year so much more interesting than the other 5 years they were in, and the 4 years they won? This was the first time Marlins made it in the Series since 1997, first time the Sox would have made it since 1986, and the first time Cubs would have made it since 1945. Obviously, none of these match up to 2001, and 2000 before that.....and 99 before that...well, and 98 before that.....

We see the same shit every year (besides Anaheim's fluke least year) when it comes to the American League. What is there to be excited about ?!?! Give me the parity and the unpredictability of the NFL anyday. This Series is all about what COULD have been and what WOULD have been...and what we were actually given was a huge disappointment and letdown to many. Excuse us for not being excited at the prospect of seeing the Yankees win the World Series - FINALLY - after a pause of 3 years!! *whew* Getting excited thinking of it already.

The series is lacking any anticipation that the playoffs had and were delivering on. Soon enough, the TV ratings would support that. It could be the greatest Series in history - but, just like the impressive Angels/Giants series from last year, not many will care.

.....And the Angels have the RALLY MONKEY!! How can you NOT support that animal?! Crazy.

Guest Anglesault
:rolleyes:

See, if you weren't grasping for straws in your argument, you would realize that this comment was based on sarcasm, as this makes the 6th out of 8 times that the Yankees have appeared in the World Series. What makes this year so much more interesting than the other 5 years they were in, and the 4 years they won?

Nothing.

Of course, I see nothing less interesting either.

It's the Yankees' chance to redeem themselves after the mess in Arizona and the Angel disaster.

It's the Marlins opportunity to show the world that they are big time players.

We see the same shit every year (besides Anaheim's fluke least year) when it comes to the American League. What is there to be excited about ?!?! Give me the parity and the unpredictability of the NFL anyday.

Okay.

Write letters to the other thirteen AL teams and demand that they put out a team that can beat the yankees.

This Series is all about what COULD have been

It could have been a showdown of the two biggest chokers in history.

Unfortuately, they both choked.

So you get the second best option.

Something seems ironic here... I can't quite put my finger on it

I really hope Torre moves Johnson down in the lineup, maybe try Boone 2nd, or move Jeter back to the #2 spot. I don't think moving Soriano would be a bad idea, however he's been lead off all year, and that won't change know.

The Yankees had every chance to win this one tonight and it just didn't happen. Florida's got the advantage of finally being able to work in a ninth bat into the lineup when in NY and already being used to having the pitcher bat while in Florida.

I will say though, that you can't expect the Yankees to do this every game. They won't keep blowing opportunities and I'd wish Mik would quit acting like no one thinks the Marlins can win anything and that's what makes them so great. People have noticed that they've been able to win and they're not underestimating them, so to think that the reason they came out on top tonight is because of how people percieve them, is ridiculous.

And Willis was on, but this was the first time they saw him. We all remember what happened the NL saw Dontrelle the second time around. He became a little less "perfect" and lot more hittable.

I caught most of the game, but from what I've seen, Soriano is a lousy leadoff man. No team should have a leadoff man who strikes out as often as he does. He's got the speed, but that's not gonna mean a damn thing when he's striking out two or three times a game.

I was also disapointed to see Boone unable to move the runner along in the ninth. Failing to do so may have cost them, but it was probably all for naught seeing as how Soriano would go on to be called out looking. Figures, since it was right over the plate and not in the dirt, a foot outside of the batter's box. Otherwise he would've prolly gone down swinging.

From what I saw, the Yanks' inability to play small ball is what killed them tonight, as they had several situations in which they were prime to score a run or two and came out with nothing. Hopefully they can take note on what the Marlins did correctly tonight, because in games like this, small ball does pay off.

Guest Smell the ratings!!!

The Yanks problem is they don't really have a leadoff man. If I were them I would try Jeter, Bernie, Soriano, Giambi. But it's a little late for that obviously.

The Marlins got very good work out of Penny and Willis, which means they stole this one in my book. That's big because Beckett won't be automatic in this series (going up against Mussina)

I'm really interested in seeing what the Yankees do for the Johnson/Giambi situation dilemma once they get to Florida for Game 3.

And, while you can you say that it was easy pickings for them to get a win on "No. 4" David Wells, he had close to a 2.00 playoff ERA walking into that start and the Marlins started Brad frickin' Penny, who's ERA was somewhere in the 10.00 range. I'll definitely second the notion that Florida stole one tonight.

The Yankees squandered a golden opportunity to grab an early lead and put some mortality into "these meddling Fish."

Can easily be disputed considering both teams had to go to Game 7 with their opponents, suggesting that they may NOT be the best teams in their leagues.

And again, Angels vs. Giants last year supposedly had the Best team in the NL vs. the Best team in the AL angle. And how well did that do ? And how much did you care ?

Let's face it. The days of the best teams competing in the series died in 1969 with the advent of the League Championship Series. The Wild Card exacerbates the problem. Any time the best team in the league can go home by losing three or five, you're going to have upsets.

Then who is?

BTW, the Yankees, by virtue of having the best record, were, indeed, the best team in the AL.

They reaffirmed that by winning the AL championship.

The problem is that the Yankees play a vastly different schedule than teams in the Central and West. I can't really trust W/L records as an adequate indicator of success compared to other teams. Note that this does not mean that the Yankees were not the best team in the AL.

Baseball should do away with the unbalanced schedule, and go back to a two division format. Take the two division winners, and two wild cards if you really need them. Expand the first round to seven games. And eliminate interleague play. Not that its bad, but it muddles things up. Each team should have the same competition to get to the playoffs.

2001-11-04-inside-gonzalez.jpg 2001-11-04-matchup-gonzalez.jpg a_mariano_hi.jpg

Guest FrigidSoul
Baseball should do away with the unbalanced schedule, and go back to a two division format. Take the two division winners, and two wild cards if you really need them. Expand the first round to seven games. And eliminate interleague play. Not that its bad, but it muddles things up. Each team should have the same competition to get to the playoffs.

From what I've heard owners are complaining about the unbalanced schedule as well and they are going to do away with it within the next couple of years

Guest Anglesault
The problem is that the Yankees play a vastly different schedule than teams in the Central and West.

Yeah, they didn't have to play Detroit 19 times. :)

Guest Anglesault

2001-11-04-inside-gonzalez.jpg 2001-11-04-matchup-gonzalez.jpg a_mariano_hi.jpg

I fail to see your point.

Guest Anglesault
He's saying that it's ironic that you talk about teams choking when the Yanks did just that in 2001.

So, because Rivera blew only his second post season save over he course of like seven years (including the years afte 01), he's on level with the BoSox?

He's saying that it's ironic that you talk about teams choking when the Yanks did just that in 2001.

Don't put words in my mouth. You said it.

I was just chuckling at the irony within Anglesault's pair of sentences.

Then it wouldn't be ironic. Ironic would be if they both did make it to face each other.

Sorry for interpreting it wrong, anyway.

Guest Anglesault
You said it, not me.

Withiny lifetime alone, the Sawx have had three spectacular collapses.

Within his tenure, Mo has only had two.

Guest Choken One

It's impossible to compare a Series where it went back to back to the last play to the historic COLLASPES of Red Sox or the Cubs.

Cubs were up 3-1. They blew not because of Goats, Bartman or whatever other bullshit theories you can think of. THAT was a monumental collapse if there ever was one...

Red Sox were Up three runs with Five outs left...they fucking CHOKED like a fat man at a all you can eat buffett.

I might not like the Yankees but please, Bringing up the God damn Diamondbacks and acting like New York were swept is stupid and only adds to the fact New York Is the greatest sports franchise in history...period.

It makes Yankee haters look stupid...

Why would you want parity? When was the last good Superbowl playoffs? I'm sorry but the last 5 playoffs have been horrible.

I don't like the concept of different teams in the super bowl every year, it fucking dilutes the product and the meaning. That if a fucking 8-8 team and go and win the super bowl the next season and then go back to 7-9 the next season, call me crazy but that makes the super bowl and it's importance look weak.

I'll take a Dynasty over weak mediorce parity any day of the week. Even if it means New York Yankees.

Guest Anglesault
Why would you want parity? When was the last good Superbowl playoffs? I'm sorry but the last 5 playoffs have been horrible.

I don't like the concept of different teams in the super bowl every year, it fucking dilutes the product and the meaning. That if a fucking 8-8 team and go and win the super bowl the next season and then go back to 7-9 the next season, call me crazy but that makes the super bowl and it's importance look weak.

I'll take a Dynasty over weak mediorce parity any day of the week. Even if it means New York Yankees.

Ditto. A new team every year bores me. There's no one team to love and root for (or boo and hiss) every year.

It's fun to watch teams try to be the one to finally topple dynasties.

The classic parity vs. non-parity argument

I fall on the parity side. It's much easier on the sports heart knowing your team has a potential shot every year, rather than watching the same damn team win it again and again.

Example: My football team (Minnesota) was riding high in the NFC in the late 90's, then fell off the map for a couple seasons, but now appear to be right back into things

The other huge problem with dynasties is that I don't want to potentially wait years for a team I really hate to finally lose... when the Yankees shit started, I was a senior in high school... now HS is a fairly distant memory and the goddamn Yankees are still on top. Too long... too f'king long.

Guest Choken One

Big Deal...It's bullshit that a Team can be 6-10 and then 13-3 the next season...It cheapens the product and the meaning.

Big Deal...It's bullshit that a Team can be 6-10 and then 13-3 the next season...It cheapens the product and the meaning.

Ever since the parity era began in the NFL (around '98-'99 seasons) the NFL's popularity has surged up. I believe the fans love a sport where everyone has a chance.

Compare that with baseball's popularity in the last couple years.

The default presumption is "Yankees and everyone else," and that is not healthy for a sport as a whole

Guest Choken One

Funny, the playoffs in Football have been horrible since 98...makes sense...because we aren't getting THE GREAT TEAMS we should get...just mediocre teams.