TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

Loria pledges no fire sale

I don't like the team, but one thing I'll give Jack Kent Cooke is that he paid for what's now called FedEx field himself. The state did some work on roads and infrastructure, but Cooke footed the cost of the stadium himself. I wish more owners would do things like that.

My main problem with football stadiums is that they're almost universally funded by the public, but then you have to pay $5000 for the "right" to buy a ticket. Um... didn't my tax money help pay for this park? Why should I have to pay more just to be able to then spend entirely too much money on season tickets. In other countries, they call it extortion; in America, it's the "personal seat license."

In other countries, they call it extortion; in America, it's the "personal seat license."

Anyone, and I mean anyone, who buys a PSL is a fucking idiot. They deserve any financial hardship that might result from throwing that few grand away.

When the Houston Texans were just starting to sell tickets a couple of years ago, all the proceeds from PSL's were supposed to go to help defray the Texans' part of the cost of building Reliant Stadium (which was only about 20% of the total cost, btw).

There was actually a sportswriter for the Houston Chronicle, Dale Robertson, who wrote an article about season tickets and PSL's for the Texans, telling the citizens of Houston that we actually owed it to Bob McNair (Texans' owner) to buy all the PSL's, because he had spent $1 billion of his own money to give us another NFL team and stadium and that we should be grateful, "because of Mr. McNair's generosity"we were no longer a "black hole" in the NFL's landscape, and an embrassment of a city because we didn't have an NFL team.

I couldn't believe he actually had the gall to write that. We, as fans, owe those overpaid millionaire assholes NOTHING, especially since all they care about is us showing up to their games and giving them our money.

Luis Castillo, 2B; ---- will resign

Andy Fox, 2B; ----- will resign

Chad Fox, RHP; ----- will resign

Lenny Harris, 3B; ----- no

Rick Helling, RHP; ---- no

Todd Hollandsworth, OF; ----- yes

Mike Mordecai, 3B; ----- yes

Ivan Rodriguez, C; ----- yes

Ugueth Urbina, RHP; ---- no

Gerald Williams, OF. ----- no

They should be the Miami Marlins. State names should only be used when you don't want to alienate one of two major cities in your market (Minnesota in place of Minneapolis, Golden State in place of Oakland), the city name doesn't exactly roll off the tongue, (Salt Lake City Jazz), or you're the Angels. Anaheim? Come on.

That being said, "Boston Patriots" should make a return also.

The Pats aren't in Boston anymore though. If anything they would have to be the Foxborough Patriots...and that sounds craptacular

Neither of New York's teams are in New York. The Bills are in Orchard Park. The LA Rams played in Anaheim, Dallas Cowboys in Irving, Washington Redskins in Landover, Maryland.

"Boston Patriots" holds historical merit whilst "New England Patriots" is cumbersome and lame. Foxboro is close enough to Boston that they can get away with it. And it's not like that would disenfranchise the people of Rhode Island and Connecticut, because they still by and large cheer for the Bruins, Red Sox, and Celtics. So my argument does have a sliver of veracity.

My main problem with football stadiums is that they're almost universally funded by the public, but then you have to pay $5000 for the "right" to buy a ticket.

Well, people that work in Allegheny County have to pay a tax for the privilege of working there, so PSL's make perfect sense to me.

Heck, why don't we have a tax for the privilege of breathing air while we're at it?...

My main problem with football stadiums is that they're almost universally funded by the public, but then you have to pay $5000 for the "right" to buy a ticket.

Well, people that work in Allegheny County have to pay a tax for the privilege of working there, so PSL's make perfect sense to me.

Heck, why don't we have a tax for the privilege of breathing air while we're at it?...

We do. It's called "emissions testing."

Guest Jay Z. Hollywood
They should be the Miami Marlins. State names should only be used when you don't want to alienate one of two major cities in your market (Minnesota in place of Minneapolis, Golden State in place of Oakland), the city name doesn't exactly roll off the tongue, (Salt Lake City Jazz), or you're the Angels. Anaheim? Come on.

That being said, "Boston Patriots" should make a return also.

The Pats aren't in Boston anymore though. If anything they would have to be the Foxborough Patriots...and that sounds craptacular

Uh huh, and given that the Patriots are the only team in the area that's won a championship in the last 18 years, I'm starting to think the "Boston" name is a curse.

Don King offers land he owns to the Marlins for new Stadium

King owns a jai-alai fronton in Mangonia Park that he said would be an ideal site for the World Series champions' proposed park, spokesman Robert Weneck said. If the ballpark has a roof, King would stage boxing matches in arena during the offseason.

Thats..wierd. I guess they'd have to call it Don King Park...

The City has committed their side of the money, pending one more meeting. It's already been approved, but I guess they need to discuss it again?

Park would be ready by 2007. This world series is going to bring salvation to Florida in the form of a baseball only stadium.

Miami Marlins? Even better.

Don King offers land he owns to the Marlins for new Stadium

King owns a jai-alai fronton in Mangonia Park that he said would be an ideal site for the World Series champions' proposed park, spokesman Robert Weneck said. If the ballpark has a roof, King would stage boxing matches in arena during the offseason.

Thats..wierd. I guess they'd have to call it Don King Park...

This scrupmptvicentious ballpark is just the kind of grandilofication Miami needs!

Ha, I'd be down for that.

And Keiper, drove past the new Phils stadium a bit back, and will be again this weekend. It's looking nice with the brick exterior.