TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mole

DVD burner...

I am thinking about getting a DVD burner for my computer, but I'm sure if it is worth it.

I'm going to do that deal at Blockbuster where you pay $30 a month or something for unlimited renting.

If I get the burner, do I also need a certain card for it? Or does it come with the burner?

Thank.

There IS the issue of copy protection. I don't think you can just straight-copy a DVD, but I may be wrong.

Depending on the burner you get, the average DVD+R can hold about 240 minutes of stuff, or 4.7 gig of data.

Mine's been worth it, but I haven't copied movies with it.

Guest I'm That Damn Zzzzz

Go to http://www.dvdrhelp.com to find out how to copy DVDS. If you don't mind losing video quality and most extra features, making VCDs can be far cheaper (no need for a dvd burner.)

Copy DVD X is the program that can copy almost anything. But the company might still be in court so it would be hard to find in stores if you know what I mean.

Just look for the requirements on the box for what ever video card that is required. A high end 3D card should be enough.

Guest Razor Roman
Copy DVD X is the program that can copy almost anything. But the company might still be in court so it would be hard to find in stores if you know what I mean.

Just look for the requirements on the box for what ever video card that is required. A high end 3D card should be enough.

I just started working a part-time gig at Best Buy... and they have DVD Xcopy there...

And Videocard would have nothing to do with just copying data from one disc to another... if you get an internal DVD burner it probably runs off your IDE controller. An external one would probably be FireWire or USB 2.0.

At CompUSA you can get their brand for 2.99 per disc. Not bad when you for instance want to burn a Simpsons season on a disc or get a movie from Blockbuster or something.

Guest Scotsman

Do what I did; get a DVD player(Liteon 2100) that plays most video formats, like DivX, XVid, SVCD, VCD etc, then just burn onto a CD Burner. I've got every episode of Jackass, Friends, Beavis&Butthead, South Park etc, all on CD's, and they work great in it...plus its a lot more cost effective.

Do you even need a DVD burner? Isn't there some way to burn DVDs without a burner?

Put the DVD face to face with a blank, and put four magnets on each side. Then tap it four times with a Sharpie. Throw them both in the microwave for 4:20. Take it out, and you've got a burned DVD.

I wanted to burn certain TV series mainly.

This is what I have found to be the best solution:

Encode the episodes of your TV in Divx AVIs. I found I can capture a good 20-minute (without commercials) program in a 200MB Divx file and it'll look fairly good.

Copy these episodes in clumps up to 4.7GB to DATA DVDs. This means you CANNOT WATCH THEM ON TV. However, the quality is decent and you'll be able to fit a lot of episodes onto one disc. Using a video DVD that could be played in regular DVD players, I could only fit maybe five episodes on a disc. Admittedly, they were broadcast-quality episodes, but I'd rather crank it down one notch and fit way more on there.

If your goal is to watch movies on your computer on TV, I'd use the TV-Out function of your video card assuming your card has one. I got tired of wasting discs to make S/VCDs I'd only use once and then get rid of.

Do you even need a DVD burner?  Isn't there some way to burn DVDs without a burner?

Put the DVD face to face with a blank, and put four magnets on each side. Then tap it four times with a Sharpie. Throw them both in the microwave for 4:20. Take it out, and you've got a burned DVD.

Can't I just bite the DVD and read the dialogue from the show I want to tape?

Do you even need a DVD burner?  Isn't there some way to burn DVDs without a burner?

Can't I just bite the DVD and read the dialogue from the show I want to tape?

Yeah, I forgot that part. You can also cook a tv dinner while the cds are in there. Healthy Choice dinners work the best.