TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

The Official MLB Offseason Topic

Here are my dreaded shortstop rankings for the projected regulars for this season. I'm not even going to read them. ;)

1. Derek Jeter, Yankees

2. Nomar Garciaparra, Red Sox

3. Edgar Renteria, Cardinals

4. Miguel Tejada, Orioles

5. Alex Cintron, Diamondbacks

6. Rafael Furcal, Braves

7. Bobby Crosby, A's

8. Carlos Guillen, Tigers

9. Jose Valentin, White Sox

10. Angel Berroa, Royals

11. Orlando Cabrera, Expos

12. Michael Young, Rangers

13. Kazuo Matsui, Mets

14. Julio Lugo, Devil Rays

15. Alex Gonzalez, Marlins

16. Rich Aurilia, Mariners

17. Jimmy Rollins, Phillies

18. Khalil Greene, Padres

19. Chris Woodward, Blue Jays

20. David Eckstein, Angels

21. Barry Larkin, Reds

22. Alex S. Gonzalez, Cubs

23. Omar Vizquel, Indians

24. Adam Everett, Astros

25. Cristian Guzman, Twins

26. Jack Wilson, Pirates

27. Cesar Izturis, Dodgers

28. Neifi Perez, Giants

29. Royce Clayton, Rockies

30. Craig Counsell, Brewers

I know that's why I was dreading posting it. Damnit where is Al to defend this?

One thing I realized though by doing this is even with the influx of the big name, offensive shortstop in recent years there are a still a ton of shortstops that can't hit worth a shit. That's why Crosby ended up that high since he can hit...I think.

Guest Anglesault
Jayson Stark's latest article was so fucking fantastic that I had to post a link to it:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2004/c...yson&id=1748433

My favourite quotes:

"The Yankees getting A-Rod," Todd Jones says, "that's like IBM trying to enter an eighth-grade science project."

"Boy, that's some kind of World Series drought the Yankees have going," quips Devil Rays manager Lou Piniella. "How long has it been since they won one? I thought it was two years, but it's actually been three. Three years. That's like 30 to anybody else."

The A-Rod acquisition is overblown. You have to remember that they lost Alfonso Soriano AND Aaron Boone. Rodriguez doesn't make up for that.

Yeah, what a shame that was.

It IS a shame, because as it stands right now, your team is playing Enrique Wilson at second base. Wilson's the type of player the Detroit Tigers uses when one or two of their regualrs falls to injury. He doesn't deserve a starting job on ANY team, let alone one competing for a title.

You can groan about Aaron Boone all you want, but he's not a bad player. Everyone has slumps. Some are just unfortunate to have them in the postseason

He was shitacular for us in the regular season as well.

And don't think his hands were exactly clean of all those errors in the playoffs last year.

I know that's why I was dreading posting it. Damnit where is Al to defend this?

One thing I realized though by doing this is even with the influx of the big name, offensive shortstop in recent years there are a still a ton of shortstops that can't hit worth a shit. That's why Crosby ended up that high since he can hit...I think.

Hey it's personal opinion. I think Joe Mauer will be a great catcher right away.

However I'd probably leave Mauer, Crosby, Green or any rookie without any real experience off my rankings.

I'm sorry, but there is NO way Derek Jeter is the best Shortstop in this league.

He isn't even the best Shortstop on that team...

Yes I know that other dude is playing 3B for the time being.

BTW, why the hell is Jose Reyes playing 2B and Kaz Matsui playing SS for the Mets? I thought Kaz was a 2B and Reyes was a SS?

Nope, Reyes moved over to 2nd to accomodate Matsui.

You know I don't even want to talk about Jeter because as I know where this conversation is gonna go, another reason why I was dreading posting this. I'll just put an emphasis on that I give offense a lot more consideration than defense. Oh and of course A-Rod would have been #1 at shortstop if he hadn't been traded or stayed at short but now he's #1 at third base.

Hey it's personal opinion. I think Joe Mauer will be a great catcher right away.

However I'd probably leave Mauer, Crosby, Green or any rookie without any real experience off my rankings.

Good point. I mean I did mention I'd probably have most of the rookies too high because they are the most subjective part of the list and really can't know what they will do. Jason Bay is going to be fairly high on my left fielders list.

Guest OctoberBlood
I'll just put an emphasis on that I give offense a lot more consideration than defense.

Nomar is better than Jeter not only defensively, but offensively as well. Also, Miguel Tejada is better than Renteria offensively, so you aren't making much sense with this list unless you are taking ONLY last years stats into effect, which would be kinda odd. Career wise, Nomar is better and Miguel is better.

Well as I pointed in the earlier rankings last seasons numbers get a lot of consideration. Then I look at their three year averages to see if last season was a fluke, an off year, or just the player's typical season. I also see if last season showed a trend that their numbers were going down or going up. Then I look at their age to help determine these factors as well. After all that I make a conservative projection of where their numbers might go this season, although they are not necessarily ranked in terms of how well I think they will play this year or otherwise the list would be too subjective.

Out of that group for four you mention Edgar Renteria actually had the best season last year. But he did have a career year and it was enough of jump over his previous production that I didn't feel he deserved the #1 spot, although he is still only 28 so it's possible he may duplicate or improve on last year. Before the last two year's Renteria had been a below average hitter. Maybe this year he will truly emerge as the best shortstop in baseball with A-Rod now at 3rd.

I'm a diehard A's fan and have no ill feeling about Tejada but he is not a better hitter than Derek Jeter. 2002 to this point was the only year Tejada's OPS+ was better than Jeter's. Last season Jeter had a 127 while Tejada had a 117.

Now I REALLY didn't want to start a Jeter/Nomar debate and this will probably add 20 pages to this topic since we have a high number of Red Sox fans on this board. I'll make this short but Jeter had an OPS+ of 127 last year to Nomar's 121. Jeter has been a much more consistent hitter in his career while Nomar has seen his numbers dip. The consistency of Jeter gave him the edge in my view. Really there isn't a huge difference and I don't even like Jeter so I certainly can't be accused of bias. If anyone wants to say Nomar is #1 I'm not reallly going to argue.

Just to end the argument quick.

Nomar had a better season last year BY FAR than Jeter. Not to mention over their respective careers.

Just last year alone Nomar hit almost 3X more Home Runs, had twice as many RBI's and almost twice as many doubles...Blew Jeter away in triples...OPS...SLG...

In all honestly Jeter isn't even in the same class offensively and defensively as Garciaparra. It's all in the numbers.

Guest Smell the ratings!!!

well didn't Jeter miss like over a month last year?

In the last 3 years(averaged, didn't include Nomar's 2001 due to only 83 AB's).

Runs: Advantage Jeter by 5(107-103)

Hits: Advantage Nomar by 18(197-179)

Doubles: Advantage Nomar by 19(48-29)

Triples: Advantage Nomar by 7(7-2)

Home Runs: Advantage Nomar by 8(24-16)

RBI's: Advantage Nomar by 40(107-67)

Walks: Advantage Jeter by 10(57-47)

K's: Advantage Nomar by 42(58-100)

SB's: Advantage Jeter by 13(23-10)

BA: Advantage Nomar by .017(.328-.311)

OBP: Advantage Jeter by .005(.381-.376)

SLG: Advantage Nomar by 1.000(.550-.450)

OPS: Advantage Nomar by .096(.927-.831)

Final Tally: Nomar 9, Jeter 4

Nomar is clearly the better slugger. Jeter is able to bring the speed(runs and stolen bases) and walks more but doesn't do anything else better.

Edit: I made a point about park factors and comparing the totals from last year being unfair but forget it I don't want to go into the debate because this will go on FOREVER.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/transactions

Thursday, March 4, 2004

TEAM

Boston Red Sox Agreed to terms with pitchers Bronson Arroyo, Colter Bean, Jamie Brown, Jerome Gamble, Reynaldo Garcia, Bryan Hebson, Anastacio Martinez, Lenny Dinardo, Mark Malaska and Phil Seibel, catchers Andy Dominique and Michel Hernandez and infielder Kevin Youkilis on one-year contracts.

Anaheim Angels Agreed to terms with pitchers John Lackey and Kevin Gregg.

Detroit Tigers Released outfielder Chris Singleton.

Houston Astros Agreed to terms with pitcher Kirk Saarloos on a one-year contract.

Montreal Expos Agreed to terms with pitchers T.J. Tucker and Claudio Vargas on one-year contracts.

New York Mets Signed second baseman Jose Reyes and pitchers Jason Anderson and Jose Diaz to one-year contracts.

Pittsburgh Pirates Released outfielder Chris Singleton.

Looks like a bad day for Chris Singleton.

Here are my left fielder rankings for the projected regulars for this season. I wasn't dreading posting this list like the shortstops. On the other hand I'm kinda dreading posting the center field rankings but that's tommorrow.

1. Barry Bonds, Giants

2. Manny Ramirez, Red Sox

3. Chipper Jones, Braves

4. Lance Berkman, Astros

5. Cliff Floyd, Mets

6. Luis Gonzalez, Diamondbacks

7. Geoff Jenkins, Brewers

8. Jose Guillen, Angels

9. Ryan Klesko, Padres

10. Jason Bay, Pirates

11. Adam Dunn, Reds

12. Carlos Lee, White Sox

13. Shannon Stewart, Twins

14. Rondell White, Tigers

15. Moises Alou, Cubs

16. Jeff Conine, Marlins

17. Hideki Matsui, Yankees

18. Larry Bigbie, Orioles

19. Kevin Mench, Rangers

20. Frank Catalanatto, Blue Jays

21. Bobby Kielty, A's

22. Jeromy Burnitz, Rockies

23. Matt Lawton, Indians

24. Terrmel Sledge, Expos

25. Raul Ibanez, Mariners

26. Pat Burrell, Phillies

27. Aaron Guiel, Royals

28. Carl Crawford, Devil Rays

29. Bubba Trammell, Dodgers

30. Kerry Robinson, Cardinals

I have a few I'd debate, but I don't have the time or energy at this point. I'll just say that Kerry Robinson is ranked WAY too highly.

What's not to love about a 30-year old outfielder with a .603 OPS?

I wonder why the Cardinals don't just keep Pujols in left and start Steve Cox at first? Cox isn't a particually good hitter either but anything is better than Kerry Robinson.

Kerry Robinson < Stephen Smitherman

I just saw Smitherman courtsey of the Phillies game actually. He could hit better than Kerry Robinson. Of course, I could sit here all day and list minor league hitters who hit better than Kerry Robinson.

And Jim THome broke a finger and will miss Spring Training. Damnit.

Guest OctoberBlood
Kerry Robinson < Stephen Smitherman

I just saw Smitherman courtsey of the Phillies game actually. He could hit better than Kerry Robinson. Of course, I could sit here all day and list minor league hitters who hit better than Kerry Robinson.

And Jim THome broke a finger and will miss Spring Training. Damnit.

Not a hard thing to do, but heres hoping that Smitherman turns that minor league success to major league success. :headbang:

Oh, and on the note of the Reds game ... you must fear SARDINES!!!

Here are the center fielder rankings for the projected regulars for this season. Now this position was the hardest to do because there is so much parity at the position. After the top 5 there just isn't much difference from #6 into the low to mid 20s. I'll probably get some laughs out of Griffey's ranking but hey when he's healthy (ya doesn't happen that often) he is certainly still a very productive player.

1. Jim Edmonds, Cardinals

2. Garret Anderson, Angels

3. Carlos Beltran, Royals

4. Andruw Jones, Braves

5. Vernon Wells, Blue Jays

6. Milton Bradley, Indians

7. Ken Griffey Jr., Reds

8. Preston Wilson, Rockies

9. Scott Podsednik, Brewers

10. Steve Finley, Diamondbacks

11. Marlon Byrd, Phillies

12. Mike Cameron, Mets

13. Mark Kotsay, A's

14. Luis Matos, Orioles

15. Corey Patterson, Cubs

16. Brad Wilkerson, Expos

17. Jay Payton, Padres

18. Kenny Lofton, Yankees

19. Randy Winn, Mariners

20. Torii Hunter, Twins

21. Tike Redman, Pirates

22. Marquis Grissom, Giants

23. Rocco Baldelli, Devil Rays

24. Aaron Rowand, White Sox

25. Juan Pierre, Marlins

26. Johnny Damon, Red Sox

27. Craig Biggio, Astros

28. Laynce Nix, Rangers

29. Alex Sanchez, Tigers

30. Dave Roberts, Dodgers

Guest OctoberBlood

I appauled you for having Jr so high. Hell, even when injured, he's still better than half the leagues CFers. Everyone gets injures. Last years was a freak accident, and could've happened to anyone. But I won't go more into that.

capt.flab10603052056.blue_jays_reds_spring_flab106.jpg

Spring Training, and people (Jason Arnold and even in intra-squad games)are trying to take him down~! He got hit twice by his own team.