TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RHR

Who is smark-proof?

Guest RollingSambos
So I guess the WWF years of Vader were that bad?

Nah...I loved the stuff that he did with Bret, Taker, Owen, Shawn...even Shamrock. But let's face it, the WWF never let Vader be Vader. He was just as watered down then as RVD is now. In his shoot interview, he even talked about how an established main eventer there threatened to have him fired after a stiff match. Personally, I'm a big fan of all versions of Vader...even Vader Lite.

Owen Hart. Nobody EVER says anything bad about him. EVER. I personally find him terribly overrated, but nobody will ever say anything bad about him.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Larry Zybisko. He was one of the true greats from NWA/WCW.

I've heard Zyb...Zyb...ah fuck it. I've heard Larry bashed A LOT, for various different reasons. His attempting to sue Jericho for the Living Legend name was one, and also because he supposedly got the title in the AWA by sleeping with the boss's daughter (or something along those lines).

Like someone in WWE by the name of Hunter Hearst Helmsley?

Guest CronoT
Owen Hart. Nobody EVER says anything bad about him. EVER. I personally find him terribly overrated, but nobody will ever say anything bad about him.

That's because Owen Hart has attained a status of almost martyrdom when it comes to wrestling.

That's because Owen Hart has attained a status of almost martyrdom when it comes to wrestling.

I donno. I mean, some people call him one of the "best wrestlers to ever live" when it comes to topics about his death, but on the other hand, his best matches are not often named, other than the WMX match of course, and he's never in any "Top 10" or "Best Wrestler Ever" discussions.

Personally, I think Owen was a very good wrestler, and it's a shame that the wrestling industry lost a good soul.

Guest Ray

Steamboat has been criticized for his drawing power.

RVD? I know many people who hate him. Hardly a smark-proof wrestler.

Guest Choken One

Yep...If people can talk about Shawn being a horrible draw among others...You HAVE to acknowledge that Steamboat nearly bankrupt NWA.

I still laugh at how people thought Hogan was so afraid that Steamboat would overtake him that he purposely sabotaged his run with WWF.

Guest JMA
I've seen everyone dissed from Kawada to Tsurta to Heenan to Jericho and to pretty much anyone. The most smark proof would have to be Ricky Steamboat. It's truly hard to hate the guy. Arn Anderson is up there too. Eddie Guerrero overall is also high. Owen Hart, Ravishing Rick Rude, Mariko Yoshida, Aja Kong and the Destroyer aren't commonly dissed either.

Agreed.

<----Was the first to suggest Steamboat :)

Guest Choken One
I've seen everyone dissed from Kawada to Tsurta to Heenan to Jericho and to pretty much anyone. The most smark proof would have to be Ricky Steamboat. It's truly hard to hate the guy. Arn Anderson is up there too. Eddie Guerrero overall is also high. Owen Hart, Ravishing Rick Rude, Mariko Yoshida, Aja Kong and the Destroyer aren't commonly dissed either.

Agreed.

<----Was the first to suggest Steamboat :)

Once again I will have to point out that Steamboat is one of the biggest flops in the Box Office in History...Right up there with Nash.

Sting gets suprising few negative comments despite being such a mainstay of organizations never named WWF. I suspect he's going to be one of those guys who hangs around far longer than he should ala Scott Steiner and will get heat for that soon enough, though.

If you discount what anyone may think about his post-wrestling career, Jesse Ventura was gold. He took the bullet trying to unionize the guys, which in a one-man landscape like this would have helped had it succeeded. It didn't, but it's not like anyone predicted it would.

Guest Smell the ratings!!!

I think since Owen got killed in the middle of a show he has attained perma-untouchable status.

The only one I can think of who never ever gets bashed for anything is Jumbo. Probably because everyone loves a good BAAAAAAAAACKDROP DRIVAAAAAAAAA

Guest Ray
The only one I can think of who never ever gets bashed for anything is Jumbo.

"Jumbo was lazy" - Meltzer

Guest Rob Edwards
The most smark proof would have to be Ricky Steamboat. It's truly hard to hate the guy. Arn Anderson is up there too. Eddie Guerrero overall is also high. Owen Hart, Ravishing Rick Rude, Mariko Yoshida, Aja Kong and the Destroyer aren't commonly dissed either.

Wouldn't agree with Yoshida, her early work is generally dismissed as Toyotalite

Don't recall ever seeing any Akira Hokuto bashing anywhere

Harley Race?, Jaguar Yokoda?, El Samurai?, Shocker?, LGI?, KENTA?, Lou Thesz?, Billy Robinson?, Johnny Saint? Genki?

No one is immune, you can pick apart every single wrestler you guys have mentioned. Dynamite Kid ruined his life with drugs and now bitches about almost everyone who helped him get to the top.

Owen broke Austin's neck.

Arn Anderson wouldn't have been as popular if he wasn't Flair's friend.

etc....

Oh and throw Art Barr and El Hijo del Santo in there too :)

Do anybody actually have tapes on these people? Really?

Santo does rule all!

By what little Spanish I remember, the latter would be the son of the original Santo, right?

I wouldn't even know about how good either one was, so no comment.

Steamboat wouldn't be immune, because he sued Ultimo Dragon I believe--or sued WCW over Ultimo Dragon. One of 'em.

When was the last time someone bashed AJ Styles?

I fucking hate him.

Okay, that answers my question...

... I would hate him too, it's just that he's way too talented

Guest RollingSambos

Austin was universally loved by smarks and marks a few years back, but now it seems like there is this minority of smarks that hate him.

How about Droz? Nobody really says anything bad about him due to the circumstances of his current condition. Then again, no one seems to hold that against D'Lo Brown either.

Beh, I'll close this one out

No opinion, no matter how seemingly popular or unpopular, will always have someone on the opposite side. Plain and simple

Guest Choken One
Austin was universally loved by smarks and marks a few years back, but now it seems like there is this minority of smarks that hate him.

A lot of people turned on him for walking out and hitting Debra.

Alot of people still hold a grudge against him because he sabotaged Owen and Jarrett's careers....

Steamboat as I said before isn't immune as he is constantly called out on his inability to draw.

AJ styles is hated by a handful.

Ted Dibiase gets some "hate" but mainly for his religious reasons...

I don't think it's fair to throw out names like Barr, Santo and so on because only about 5% of people even heard of these people.

Guest JebusNassedar

I dont see a lot of hate for American Dragon, nor Satoshi Kojima. And if the whole Homicide thing hadn't happened, Low Ki would be on here. Also, Tony Mamaluke and Paul London are pretty smark proof. But these are just passing observations an' stuff.

Guest Choken One

Most of those guys have only been around for a year or so...

Am. Dragon doesn't have a good look and looks like 14 year old in a ice box.

Low Ki is a short fucker....and the homicide thing of course.

London hasn't been around long enough...