TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
haVoc

Confidential Preview

They must be why everybody hated it.... Oh wait.

Pure Nostalgia. There's no actual reason to like that show aside from them showing old footage. How they presented it was horrible. Bret Hart was washed up by then? Dispite going on to have one of the greatest feuds in history? Riiiight. They were spinning a horrible year as something that was "great" - total revisionist history. The NWO was a sidebar and they just had to include the "guaranteed contract", because no one leaves utopia for anything but $$$. Did they mention the MSG Curtain call at all? They refused to say anything bad about that year and lost any sense of objectivity. But who cares about that when they're showing LIVE WIRE! And AHMED JOHNSON~! OMG THE GODWINS! BACKLOT BRAWL HTHAT WUZ SO AWSUM! Nothing but WWE propaganda trying to push on us something that simply wasn't.

They must be why everybody hated it.... Oh wait.

Pure Nostalgia. There's no actual reason to like that show aside from them showing old footage. How they presented it was horrible. Bret Hart was washed up by then? Dispite going on to have one of the greatest feuds in history? Riiiight. They were spinning a horrible year as something that was "great" - total revisionist history. The NWO was a sidebar and they just had to include the "guaranteed contract", because no one leaves utopia for anything but $$$. Did they mention the MSG Curtain call at all? They refused to say anything bad about that year and lost any sense of objectivity. But who cares about that when they're showing LIVE WIRE! And AHMED JOHNSON~! OMG THE GODWINS! BACKLOT BRAWL HTHAT WUZ SO AWSUM! Nothing but WWE propaganda trying to push on us something that simply wasn't.

Well, what do you expect?

Gene: Welcome to Confidential. Tonight, we look at 1996. Bah, what a shitty year for WWE. Nitro was taking off and the nWo was all the craze. However, there were some decent matches in 1996 . . . The Best There Is, The Best There Was, and The Best There Ever Will Be, Bret The Hitman Hart had excellent feuds with the likes of the blonde haired guy from the Rockers and Stunning Steve Austin. But when you add guys like Freddie Joe Floyd, The Goon, Salvatore Sincere, Who, and others, it was no wonder WWE couldn't get it on track. WCW was a juggernaut.

Despite what you hear in this broadcast about Sunny and Sable, rest assured that Kimberly Page, Woman, and Elizabeth were far superior in terms of beauty and grace. You'll see video packages on Hunter Hearst Helmsley. Hey, remember when he jobbed to Alex Wright at Starrcade 1994? Confidential does and you'll see that match here. Plus, in this hour, we'll examine the rivalry between the Undertaker and Mankind. You may know Mankind as best selling author Mick Foley. But one can't forget that at the time of these matches, Hulk Hogan had just formed the nWo and Nitro was hotter than ever so you've probably never seen these early Mankind matches before. You'll see them here. Here we go . . .

It was exactly what I expected it to be - doesn't mean it wasn't shit. I had to force myself to watch it just to see how low they could go. I don't expect them to outright bash their product and say WCW's was superior, but it would be nice if they stepped outside their own lil world and take an objective stance sometimes.

The only thing I didn't agree with was their treatment of Bret Hart. If they wanted him back at WMXX so bad, you'd think that they'd at least portray the guy in a positive light. But that's WWE's stupidity for ya.

Everything else was fair enough.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

Actually they're right and wrong about Bret Hart. Hart himself had a lot gas left in the tank, but the Hitman babyface chaarcter had jumped the shark and being outpopped in two consecutive programs (HBK and Austin) was proof.

Actually they're right and wrong about Bret Hart. Hart himself had a lot gas left in the tank, but the Hitman babyface chaarcter had jumped the shark and being outpopped in two consecutive programs (HBK and Austin) was proof.

Watching the piece do you really think they meant that? Pretty much from the way they said it Bret Hart was done, washed up, past his prime after losing the HBK

My favorite parts was at the beginning when Gene proudly stated how Vince did what he does best, creates new stars, the part where the only reason WCW was succesful was because of all the WWF stars they signed away for guarenteed contracts, the portrayal of Bret Hart as a washed up after thought despite having his best year overall upcoming, and of course after mentioning that it was the year that Steve Austin began to rise as a star, that another even bigger star was rising named Hunter Hearst Helmsley. Please. Like they're in the same league.

I will say it was lots of fun to see all the old footage and nostalgia but it was a total Vince Mcmahon revisionist history spin job...

Guest Adrian 3:16
and of course after mentioning that it was the year that Steve Austin began to rise as a star, that another even bigger star was rising named Hunter Hearst Helmsley. Please. Like they're in the same league.

That's what cracked me up the most about this thing, even more than Bret being washed up. When they compared Austin and HHH coming up together like Magic and Bird I had to rewind the tape and make sure I really just heard that. :lol:

I also got a kick out of Mean Gene talking about all the employees who left Vince in an accusing tone, of course not mentioning that he WAS one of those employees. That Mean Gene, always a bastion of journalistic integrity.

Watching the piece do you really think they meant that? Pretty much from the way they said it Bret Hart was done, washed up, past his prime after losing the HBK

They said Bret's best days were behind him. That.. was true. After he passed the torch to Shawn, he was never ever #1 again. Not even when he had the belt. He hated WWF in 97.

They said Bret's best days were behind him. That.. was true. After he passed the torch to Shawn, he was never ever #1 again. Not even when he had the belt. He hated WWF in 97.

Yeah never mind the fact that Bret had a hot feud with Stone Cold that helped make him the mega popular superstar he is today and had a great I Quit match with him at WM. Or had a hot angle with the Hart Foundation.

Doesn't matter. He was miserable in 97. It all started with the ironman. He left, came back, had the fans turn on him, got screwed everywhere, had the world title and wasn't even main eventing PPVs, then Montreal happened, and he went to WCW.

Damnit! Forgot to record this Saturday night! I bet the reason they skipped Bret/Austin is because they love to make it look like HBK "made" Austin and passed the torch to him at WM14. Even though it took Taker's boot in HBK's ass to get him to job clean.

BTW, which fucker said Bret's best days were behind him?

Guest ligerbomb03

The fucker narrating on Confidential said Bret's best days were behind him.