TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Peter_Griffin

ROH Final Battle 2003

Yup..I hope they wait a little while before the next one though, to make it mean something.

You guys watch anything good on the way? We got stuck with 2 eps of MLW TV, some of the TPI 03, and a decent Mutoh comp on the way back.

I'm glad our streamers worked well.

nope, we voted on videos but everyone was so tired that we just decided to not watch anything. what did you watch on the way over? we watched cage of death 5, which was fantastic.

I'll stop being pessimistic about the board when 1InchPunch loses internet access.

BAHAHAHAH

Wait, its, Dave O'Neill, Journalist... :lol:

Really Dave, you made fun of me in the days when I was a huge XPW fan, and they were still around, and people agreed with you and didn't give you any trouble because of the fact that they hated XPW, but now people are seeing your true colors. Someone ban this asshole please.

Some jackass at the convention card farted on me three times as a way to get back at me for heckling in Framingham. I am dead serious. When I find the post he made, I will link it.

The show itself was worth the 6 hour drive for me, even though I don't follow Japanese wrestling. The day was packed with action, although Stryker/Whitmer was terrible.

But...but..he's JESUS!

Fuck that match.

Fuck that match straight to hell.

Overall, good psychology with the leg/arm work, but nobody could give a fuck less about it.

There was just absolutely nothing to care about.

Stalling galore, neverending submissions, not to mention that it went on FOREVER. Then again, I guess the crowd needed a cool-down after the incredible street fight between Xavier & Walters.

If this is what the Pure Wrestling division is going to be like, then I don't want to see it at all.

I agree, I loved there match at 8/16, and this was the exact opposite, but the Jesus stuff kept me awake at least.

yeah exactly, they are great workers and have has fantastic matches before, but they just didn't click last night, it happens.

Guest Rob Van Dam

two quick things

Stryker vs Whitmer was boring

and Muta pinned Daniels after giving him the shining wizard, not maff, maff took the mist

Hey guys- I was on Bus B with tpww- I wish we could've watched something other then the Muto comp for the way back. I was too tired to watch puro.

The show was amazing and for most of the matches I sat next to-

JERRY LYNN!!!~

He was really cool- I tried not to bother him while the matches were going on.

The convention was great- Colt Cabana thought that the 1985 Chicago Bears were the people who attacked Lucy. He was wrong.

Joe and AJ kept gooing off the whole time- it was hilarious.

Alexis Laree was also there.

I think SCS v. Temueric Storm was easily the MOTN. Just great tag team wrestling all the way through.

Temueric Storm don't even speak English (They kept trying to talk to me- so I know) which it makes it even more amazing.

Since there were no girls when Trent entered- I offered him a dollar. He stared at me, shrugged his shoulders and took it.

CM Punk shot me a dirty look during his entrance since all we did was taunt him unmercifully.

Low Ki got no reaction since he didn't do anything. He just stood there. My friend got a dirty look from Ki for calling him Brandon.

Joe v. Mark was my second favourite match- just watching Joe beat the holy hell out of Mark was a lot of fun

Guest OSIcon

A few quick match quality comments:

- Nothing really that great on the convention card. The Special K/Carnage Crew six man was a good, instense brawl like usual and the Puma/Josh Daniels match was solid. Everything else was forgettable. I've seen people describe the Acid/Sonjay match as "incredible" or "really good", but I just don't see that. The match had little flow then went into the X-Division "you hit a move and kick out, then I'll hit mine".

- Danielson/Jay was excellent. Best opener in ROH histroy edging out Daniels/AmDrag from Round Robin Challenge and probably one of the better openers you will see. There is no doubt in my mind that Danielson is the best wrestler in the world right now. Jay played his part (selling and his offense) very well also.

- Walters/Xavier was a fun spot match and a real good blow off to their feud. Xavier was great in the match but Walters did his share also. They built to the big spots nicely and the transitions in between worked. When you can get out of a match like this without blowing any of the big spots, that is always a plus. The angle afterwards was also good. Good payoff with Xavier shaking hands after the whole feud being built around Walters wanting his respect. Nana was good on the mic too like usual.

- Walters/Stryker was the only disappointing match of the night. Too much stalling at the start, too many repetitve segment, poor flow, and the match going too long hurt it. It wasn't the terrible and abomination of a match that some people are making it out to be, but it wasn't good. They had a great match on 8/16 so I guess it was just an off night (Whitmer reportely had the flu and Stryker had his shoulder popped into placed the day before). I also don't think this is a bad sign for the pure wrestling division as there have been many good matches in that style. This match was poor, but that doesn't mean the style is bad.

- Joe/Mark was solid. Joe was way over and great in the match. Better than I expected because I am not overly high on the Briscoes (I think they are good, but not better than that). Post match angle was also good as in one segment it set up/foreshadowed about five different possible matches for the first half of the year.

- Turmeric Storm vs. Second City Saints was definitely the the surprise of the night and one of the top matches. Really good tag team match. Great work from Punk and Cabana who really stole the match. Miyamoto and Honma were good in it, but Punk and Cabana really shined through.

- Kaz vs. Styles was also really good. The match was what you would expect from them.

- Kojima vs. Homicide wasn't much in the way of a match workwise, but Kojima oozes charisma and really won over the crowd. Some good comedy spots in this.

- The tag title match was fun and had great heat. Daniels and Maff worked really hard and Arashi pulled out about a half dozen moves which is a half dozen more than I expected.

Guest Jimbo
Nothing really that great on the convention card.  The Special K/Carnage Crew six man was a good, instense brawl like usual and the Puma/Josh Daniels match was solid.  Everything else was forgettable.  I've seen people describe the Acid/Sonjay match as "incredible" or "really good", but I just don't see that.  The match had little flow then went into the X-Division "you hit a move and kick out, then I'll hit mine".

Yeah, that Sonjay/Acid match was pretty annoying. I was about 99.9% sure Acid would win, and he did, so it was fristrating that everytime Sonjay hit a big move and went for the pin, you knew Acid would kick out. I wish I had scene more of the Puma/Daniels match, but oh well, talking to Kojima>Puma vs. Daniels. The Christopher St. Connection and Punk stuff was pretty funny as well...

Danielson/Jay was excellent.  Best opener in ROH histroy edging out Daniels/AmDrag from Round Robin Challenge and probably one of the better openers you will see.  There is no doubt in my mind that Danielson is the best wrestler in the world right now.  Jay played his part (selling and his offense) very well also.

Yeah, definetly was very good. Twas sorta annoying to see Jay put on a headlock everytime, but at least it made sense. AmDrag's chops and euro upper cuts hurt me to watch...the Briscoe's don't do anything for me, but they know how to sell and bump pretty damn well....good to see the crowd was actually involved in that one, unlike the debacle later.

Walters/Xavier was a fun spot match and a real good blow off to their feud.  Xavier was great in the match but Walters did his share also.  They built to the big spots nicely and the transitions in between worked.  When you can get out of a match like this without blowing any of the big spots, that is always a plus.  The angle afterwards was also good.  Good payoff with Xavier shaking hands after the whole feud being built around Walters wanting his respect.  Nana was good on the mic too like usual.

The breaking of that ladder was fookin' amazing. Anyone seen that happen before? That didn't look like a crappy ladder either...

Only bad part of that match was that Xavier's an idiot and naff'ed up the final spot by putting the ladder's too close. Still was extremely impressive though...

Walters/Stryker was the only disappointing match of the night.  Too much stalling at the start, too many repetitve segment, poor flow, and the match going too long hurt it.  It wasn't the terrible and abomination of a match that some people are making it out to be, but it wasn't good.  They had a great match on 8/16 so I guess it was just an off night (Whitmer reportely had the flu and Stryker had his shoulder popped into placed the day before).  I also don't think this is a bad sign for the pure wrestling division as there have been many good matches in that style.  This match was poor, but that doesn't mean the style is bad.

The first half was horrific, and killed off any of the crowd's intrest.

Second half was alright, but because no one wanted to see it continue (myself included), it was ruined.

If Stryker is so uncharismatic it's not even funny...really, there's none there.IMO, that was half the problem of the match once it actually started moving-- Stryker showed nothing besides themost obvious and basic reactions, there was no dicketry shown by Mr. Stryker, no heel'ness, nothing besides the generic selling emotions.

Joe/Mark was solid.  Joe was way over and great in the match.  Better than I expected because I am not overly high on the Briscoes (I think they are good, but not better than that).  Post match angle was also good as in one segment it set up/foreshadowed about five different possible matches for the first half of the year.

Bleh, that match didn't do anythign for me and was the second biggest disappointment, IMO. After seeeing Jay/Joe from the 10/20 show I attended, I assumed this would be awesome, but it was sorta dull.

Turmeric Storm vs. Second City Saints was definitely the surprise of the night and one of the top matches.  Really good tag team match.  Great work from Punk and Cabana who really stole the match.  Miyamoto and Honma were good in it, but Punk and Cabana really shined through.

Best match, IMO, not a single thing to complain about.

Btw, anyone else cringe when Honma landed funny after the Pepsi Plunge? Didn't look too nice from my view...you've got to take that move from the top rope where Punk is standing, otherwise it'll look terrible as the victim will fall way before and it'll look like shit (CSC one earlier) or they get are late to push out and don't fall right (Honma)...

Kaz vs. Styles was also really good.  The match was what you would expect from them.

^

Kojima vs. Homicide wasn't much in the way of a match workwise, but Kojima oozes charisma and really won over the crowd.  Some good comedy spots in this.

I wish it had been a bit longer and they were serious more, but Kojima and Smokes were pure gold, LMAO.

The tag title match was fun and had great heat.  Daniels and Maff worked really hard and Arashi pulled out about a half dozen moves which is a half dozen more than I expected.

Muta wasn't thaaaat bad, he must've worked really hard, or the Puro people are pretty anal retentive. All of his trademarks, bar the moonsault where in the match, good stuff. Not sure if anyone else cares but I'd enjoy it if Maff shut the fuck up during his matches.