TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Frank_Nabbit

Actors dying

Guest Frank_Nabbit

What movies had a main actor die while making them and how did this affect filming?

The only example i can think of is Brandon Lee in The Crow, but i'm sure there's more

Marilyn Monroe while starting Something's Got to Give with Dean Martin and Walter Mattau. The film was scrapped.

Oliver Reed during Gladiator, although it was said that most of his scenes had been finished.

It is rumored that Orson Welles died during voice work for the Transformers movie and Leonard Nimoy finished his scenes with voice modulation. Although, by most accounts all of his tracks were laid down by the time he died.

Got to go to work or I would think of more. Usually in these cases another actor is cast if it's early enough in the filming or the movie is edited around them. Sometimes you do wind up with the project getting scrapped.

Heather O'Rourke died before Poltergiest 3 was finished. The film was on hiatus but it was still being filmed.

Hence, the ending to the movie was changed and it just sucked very badly.

I think Julian Beck also died while Poltergiest 2 was filming but I think his work was done on the film when he died. I know he did die before the film was released but I'm not sure if he was done filming.

As for Vic Morrow....that was a damn gruesome way to go.

Guest DVD Spree

Having filmed three incredible fight scenes for Game of Death, Bruce Lee got the offer to make Enter The Dragon for Warner Bros. and went to film that. He finished shooting and went back to work on GoD, but died before he got to shoot any more scenes.

To the best of my knowledge though, Lee and Morrow were the only actors listed so far to actually die on set.

I've seen that video of the incident with Morrow and those two kids (I wonder how it got out in the first place), and while you don't actually see anything gruesome (no blood or heads flying), it's still pretty nerve racking

Well, O'Rourke become ill on the set of the film but she died in surgery.

But recently, an actor named David Hemming died on set of a heart attack. I forget which movie he was filming though.

John Candy while doing Wagons East. I could see how that would kill somebody.

That is one of the worst movies I have ever seen in my life. Very few scenes are actually done after he died, but they are very obvious. One bar scene is the exact same from the beginning just dubbed over.

It is rumored that Orson Welles died during voice work for the Transformers movie and Leonard Nimoy finished his scenes with voice modulation. Although, by most accounts all of his tracks were laid down by the time he died.

Also at the time Welles was doing the voice of Robin Masters on Magnum PI. After he died they decided not the recast the voice of Masters.

Guest El Satanico

Bela on Plan 9 is one of the most infamous deaths while filming of a movie.

Infamous for Wood's terrible attempts to make it appear that Bela was still in the movie.

Guest NaturalBornThriller4:20

Aaliyah while beginning work on The Matrix: Reloaded / Revolutions.

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes

What was the movie Wagons East about? From the title, I'd say a western.

And the evil guy from Poltergeist 2 died after filming, but before the release.

Wagons East was about some pioneers who went west and couldn't take the hardships so they decided to go back. Richard Lewis costarred. It wasn't as bad as people say. Currently in the $5 bin at walmart.

To the best of my knowledge though, Lee and Morrow were the only actors listed so far to actually die on set.

I've seen that video of the incident with Morrow and those two kids (I wonder how it got out in the first place), and while you don't actually see anything gruesome (no blood or heads flying), it's still pretty nerve racking

Well Said. A bunch of friends and I saw It on The HBO Series "Shock T.V." And shock us It did.

Well Said. A bunch of friends and I saw It on The HBO Series "Shock T.V." And shock us It did.

And I've seen that footage of the woman blindly running into the train (which didn't affect me much at all)

And I've seen that footage of the woman blindly running into the train (which didn't affect me much at all)

Was that on The same show or a different one? Don't remember that one.

Was that on The same show or a different one? Don't remember that one.

Ever see the Bud Dwyer footage? Shit, that should affect anyone.

I saw that. I think it was on a "Faces of Fear." My friend had that tape and when I walked into his apartment he didn't tell me what is was and hit play. He was doing this to everyone.

Me: What is this?

Kris: Just watch...

(people standing by the rail tracks::

Me: This sucks.

Kris: Just shut up and watch!

Me: There's nothing happening.....

(women and guy run towards tracks, guy stops, women keeps running and gets hit and tumbles 30 feet)

Me: HOLY SHIT~!

Guest Ghettoman

Tumble 30 feet? That girl exploded man, Bride of Trucky mac truck scene, exploded.

Someone brought that video into my summer school class in 11th grade, just sick.

Maybe we saw a different one then? I remember her getting hit and her body, or least parts of her body, tumbling towards whoever had the camera and then the tape ended.

Kevin (Ares on Xena) Smith died after a fall on a scene he was filming...

I didn't know that. Damn...