TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes

Main Events...

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes

This is a subject that usually bothers me when talking about a shows main event.

Some people will say the last match on the card is the main event, which can be argued with a few points, such as a card having double (or more) main events.

In some cases, a show, for example the God awful GAB 91's main event, Luger/Bradshaw, happened before a 3:00 WTF match with Paul E./Anderson and Hyatt/Steiner.

Same can go for SSeries 92 where the Tag Match with Flair/Ramon v. Savage/Hennig was given the most build up and hype, while HBK/Bret was non-existant until Bret and HBK both ended up with titles with less than a month before the shows.

This is a subject that usually bothers me when talking about a shows main event.

Some people will say the last match on the card is the main event, which can be argued with a few points, such as a card having double (or more) main events.

In some cases, a show, for example the God awful GAB 91's main event, Luger/Bradshaw, happened before a 3:00 WTF match with Paul E./Anderson and Hyatt/Steiner.

Same can go for SSeries 92 where the Tag Match with Flair/Ramon v. Savage/Hennig was given the most build up and hype, while HBK/Bret was non-existant until Bret and HBK both ended up with titles with less than a month before the shows.

Don't mean to pick, but Luger fought Windham at GAB91.

But hey, a hoss is a hoss, I guess.

In my book, the ME is always

a) the title match and/or

b) the match given the most hype on the card.

So Vince/Steph was a co-ME with Brock-Taker at No Mercy '03.

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes

Holy crap, how did I mix Windham WITH BRADSHAW?!!?

I mean, Windham still was talented then. (Hits self for being an idiot)

Holy crap, how did I mix Windham WITH BRADSHAW?!!?

I mean, Windham still was talented then. (Hits self for being an idiot)

Easy.

They were tag partners (as the New Blackjacks) in the WWF in early 1997.

The world title match is the main event, no matter what, and any other match that closes the show and if billed as such would be a main event as well. Now that covers about everything except for the super-duper mega spectacular extra neato special main event match between The Wall and the Kiss Demon, based solely on the fact that the contract Bischoff signed with Kiss stated that their dude had to be in at least one main event match.

Guest Dynamite Kido

Windham was light years better than Luger and I WOULDN'T consider him a hoss at all.But if you were being sarcastic, I guess I didn't pick it up.

Guest Dynamite Kido
Windham's had his hoss like moments later in his career, when he put on some pounds. When you're 6'5", there's a fine line between fit and hoss.

Not in 91 though.

Windham was light years better than Luger and I WOULDN'T consider him a hoss at all.But if you were being sarcastic, I guess I didn't pick it up.

Yeah, that was sarcasm (or as I call it in this case, smarkasm).

Guest tr x

how about ...

spear, spear, spear, clothesline, big boot, spear, pedigree, pin.

... that's a main event according to armageddon.

Didn't a Undertaker promo ended the show, or was that clipped from the video version? Anyways, Windam when he arrived in the NWA/WCW was one of the best. His matches with Flair, I will always mark out. He looked like crap the last time I saw him. Damn shame, He was agile, could wrestle, and brawl. The perfect styel that a big man should be.

Guest DeputyHawk

WMXIX effectively had FOUR main events. HHH-Booker was a World title match, Rock-Austin had been given the most build on TV, Vince-Hogan was on all the promo posters, and Lesnar-Angle was the final match.

That's the most I can remember in one show. There's been a few triple main events (Fully Loaded 00, No Way Out 02, etc)

Three criteria for something to be considered ME: 1)World title match, 2)Most promoted match, 3)Last match on the card.

Guest DeputyHawk

Reasons for Bossman/LOD vs. IRS/Disasters as the SurSer 91 ME:

It was originally Sid's team vs. Jake's team, which is worthy of ME. Then it was Savage's team vs. Jake's team, again worthy of ME. Then they just took the team captains out of the equation for Tuesday In Texas and left it as a six man tag elimination, probably not worthy of ME but Legion of Doom were mighty over at the time and sent the fans home happy after Hogan got fucked over by Flair & Undertaker mid-way through the show.

SurSer has a history of weird main events. World champion Hogan's tag match against DiBiase & Zeus was stuck in the middle of the card in 89, while Ultimate Warrior fucked about with Bobby Heenan to close the show. 91 was the aforementioned six-man, and 92 was the Bret-Shawn match despite the fact the Savage/Perfect vs. Flair/Razor had been promoted as the top match. More often than not, there are co-main events rather than one single hyped match.

Edited by DeputyHawk