TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
razazteca

Is the PS2 the only system

:huh: I don't here that many complaints from Nintendo or Xbox owners saying that the system falls apart for whatever reason after a year or so of use.

I bought PS2 #1 on the launch date, and that broke about March last year. I bought PS2 #2 on May 26, 2003... it broke in November. I sent it into Sony to be repaired in late November. According to Sony.com, the latest status is that it was FINALLY assigned to a repair technician on Dec. 30...

I expect it back by March... February if I'm lucky.

Yeah, all the complaints I've heard go like this: 95% PS2, 4% XBox and practically 1% GC. Thank god my PS2 works awesome (I've had it since Jun. 2002), just take care of it (unless it's defective). I don't think I've had a defective system

I'll tempt fate. I got my PS2 around Christmas of 2000, right around launch, and I've never had a single problem with it. And this thing has taken its fair share of plane rides shoved into a duffle bag, too.

Many of the problems we hear about the PS2 could be prevented if people knew how to take care of it, turn it off, etc...

Personally, I've heard more problems about the Xbox breaking down where I live. The common complaint for the Xbox that I hear is that the disc tray jams. I also know quite a few people who had their drive just shut down and stop working.

I've NEVER heard about a problem with a GameCube, not a single one.

In addition, I've never had a problem with my Dreamcast, and I've had it for many years now.

I'm on my second. The fan broke on my first PS2 and it would overheat and shut off after about 30 minutes or so. This happened about a year after I got it. I sent it away and they gave me a new one free of charge about 2 weeks later. They said it was too expensive to fix the old one.

I lucked out. Got my PS2 in late 2001 and it's still working fine. I had some worries at times, but I still play games and DVDs on it regularly.

However, no it isn't the only system. The original Playstation had some glaring design flaws. It overheated too easily, and when I had it for about a year music and FMVs would skip constantlly. Since then, I unplug all my systems when I don't play them and I've had no other systems croak on me.

Sony seems to haphazardly throw their video game systems out there without making sure they'll last.

Guest Smues
I'm on my second. The fan broke on my first PS2 and it would overheat and shut off after about 30 minutes or so. This happened about a year after I got it. I sent it away and they gave me a new one free of charge about 2 weeks later. They said it was too expensive to fix the old one.

Luckily ass. I sent mine in when the fan broke, they fixed it no problem. BUT sent it back with NO package, and in the shipping process the cd reader had broken. So i sent it back and even gave them packaging for the trip back to me, and of course it came with no packaging again. It worked, but broke about a year later as no big shock to me.

I bought and sold my PS2 within a six month time period (not because of hardware issues though) so I never got the chance to see if this is true

However, my best friend still has his first-day-launch PS2 and it works just fine. Hell, we just spent many an hour in the last week playing SC2 with no problems (except when he fights cheap)

Guest Askewniverse
The original Playstation had some glaring design flaws.  It overheated too easily, and when I  had it for about a year music and FMVs would skip constantlly.

That happened to me too. I had the first model and it started giving me problems after about a year. This may sound stupid, but I used to turn the system upside-down to get it to work properly.

The original Playstation had some glaring design flaws.  It overheated too easily, and when I  had it for about a year music and FMVs would skip constantlly.

That happened to me too. I had the first model and it started giving me problems after about a year. This may sound stupid, but I used to turn the system upside-down to get it to work properly.

Nope, a lot of us did the same for a while until it was no longer very effective.

In addition, I've never had a problem with my Dreamcast, and I've had it for many years now

My Dreamcast has it fair share of problems as it would not work on some games due to scratches or dust on discs and then there is the Soul Caliber problem that never went past the menu screen or the 3rd party VMU forgetting what year it is.

My Dreamcast had the same problems too, before I decided to sell it. NBA2k, NFL2k, Shenmue and Marvel v. Capcom all wouldn't work at some point; Power Stone was the only one that did. But c'mon, if there's scratches and dust on the disc it's bound not to work. The same goes for using a 3rd party VMU.

Anyway, I've had my PS2 since Christmas 2002 and have had no problems.

**knocks on wood**

My PS2 has worked perfectly since I bought it, about six months after launch. My roommates, otoh, only works when it's upside down. It still seems to work okay (although it loads slow), but it looks funny, heh.

Guest JacK

Ha, I've had my PS2 for two years, and it works fine . . . it's not as if I take great care of it, I'm always dropping it, bumping it, knocking it off the table (I'm a klutz). All I do is make sure I turn it off with the button rather than the switch, and I'll switch it off if I'm not going to use it for a while.

I got my PS2 the day it came out, and have never had any issues with it at all...and yes I leave the switch on ALL the time. Not to mention I have marathon playing times on weekends...6-10 hours straight some days. I love MY PS2 :)

Why did you sell your PS2 so quickly?

You talking to me?

Either way, I sold it because 1)most of the really games being made for the PS2 were being released for PC anyway (like Vice City) and 2)the PS2 exclusive games just weren't grabbing my fancy

With my TV and PC in two separate rooms, a choice had to be made, and I decided just to concentrate solely on PC gaming, hence I sold off all my console stuff

I'm not going to say anything about MY PS2 for fear of jynxing myself.. but everyone that I know who has one has never had a problem with it.

Guest Goodear

You can turn the PS2 off without the switch? Huh. Ah well, I've had mine since launch and it was some skipping problems with some DVDs but runs fine about 98 % of the time.