TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

The One and Only NFL Conference Playoffs Thread

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen
But the Carolina win was an upset...in double OT.

Again, it was a great play but the stakes weren't as high.

4th and 26 should not be mentioned in the same breathe as "the catch" right now.

Even if the Eagles win it all, I'm still not sure it should be remembered because it was an average pass against a soft coverage.

I found McNabb's juke and spin to pass for the second touchdown tons more impressive than 4th and 26.

Guest FrigidSoul

Damien Woody, the Guard for the NE Patriots will miss the rest of the year with a torn MCL. Russ Hochstein will take over.

While Damien is good he's been extremely injury prone and Russ has filled in nicely, shouldn't be that much of a downgrade. That being said I think Damien Woody played his last game as a Patriot last week.

Once again, only reason the Colts were able to score so much in the first game was due to Brady throwing INTs right near their endzone. Something tells me he won't be trying to force anything in there this time.

Considering New England lives and dies by the pass, often using short passes like other teams use running plays, what reason is there to think they won't be passing the ball against the Colts?

Ahmed Green, a MUCH better RB than Foster tore us up for 158 last week.

That's Ahman Green, first of all. Second, you shouldn't sell Foster short. Sure, he's not in Green's class yet, but this is really his rookie season, considering he missed last year with an injury. He's shown good speed to the outside, good ability to cutback, and good vision in the open field. And he had a good game against the Rams, who are no slouches on defense, and tougher against the run than the Eagles.

And it didn't matter; we still won.

Let's be real here. You won for two reasons:

1. Mike Sherman is a gigantic pussy.

2. Brett Favre is a cretin.

The Packers had the game won, but their coach let you back in to tie it, and then their veteran QB made a rookie mistake in OT. Don't act like you outplayed the Packers all day.

We beat Carolina when they had Davis totally healthy in the regular season in Carloina.

You'd better hope you can do it again. Personally, I don't think you can.

Guest FrigidSoul

They'll be passing the ball but I think they'll be running it more than they did in the first match-up. This is going to be a fairly cold game and Antwoin Smith will pound the ball up the middle.

Last time they were on turf in Indi and the Pats don't have a RB who is good on turf.

Also, I watched that Eagles-Panthers first game and the Colts-Pats first game

The Panthers beat themselves in the first game, missing kicks left and right and just making stupid decisions. The Panthers did everything but score the touchdowns for the Eagles.

In the Colts-Pats game, the Pats were in control when Brady just started flinging balls all over the field. I don't think we'll see that again as the Pats will more than likely push to make it a slow paced defensive game.

I never bet against a good defense for a powerful offense. I think the Colts have a good chance, but to pick an offense over a defense in the NFL just doesn't seem to compute.

Doesn't anyone think the eagles will win ?ANYONE ?

I think both games can go either way with the eagles/pats winning.Look for 2 more close games like last week that go right to the end.Very good playoffs so far.

I've gotta ask, are there ANY Colts fans around (The HOOOOOOOOORN)? I know the Pats fans, I know the Eagles fans, and there are even a few Panthers fans sprinkled in, but I haven't heard from one Colts fan yet. I mean people from Indiana (or wherever) that root for the team, not fans of Peyton Manning or any one player.

Just an observation.

I've gotta ask, are there ANY Colts fans around (The HOOOOOOOOORN)? I know the Pats fans, I know the Eagles fans, and there are even a few Panthers fans sprinkled in, but I haven't heard from one Colts fan yet. I mean people from Indiana (or wherever) that root for the team, not fans of Peyton Manning or any one player.

Just an observation.

Well I like The Colts more than the Pats if that counts.

Doesn't anyone think the eagles will win ?ANYONE ?

I think both games can go either way with the eagles/pats winning.Look for 2 more close games like last week that go right to the end.Very good playoffs so far.

I think that the Eagles will win, and that it won't even be close. This one will make up for last year.

I'll preface my statement with the admission that I'm a Patriots fan, so am pretty biased ...

I think the fact that New England's defense has played so well at home will effect the numbers that Manning puts up on Sunday. Truthfully, the Chiefs showed absolutely nothing against Indy last weekend, and should be embarressed for it. Denver's D looked better than KC's did, but that's not saying much. I can't see Belichick and Crennel allowing Indy to come into their own backyard and put up the offensive fireworks that they have these last 2 weeks. Sorry, Cinderella, the streak without punting is going to come to an end. New England 24 - Indy 13 (Pats score a TD on an interception)

Carolina-Philly is tougher for me to call. I'd say I've flipflopped my prediction half a dozen times this week, and will most likely continue to do so for the rest of the week. While I like Carolina's ability to run the ball against Philly, I really don't see McNabb losing this game. It might be close, and if the Panthers won I really wouldn't be surprised, but my prediction is Philly 28 - Carolina 14.

Guest El Satanico

There's no doubt that Manning will face a much bigger challenge this week. At the level Manning's been playing on during these playoffs, I can't see even the defensive minds in New England shutting him down. He has a chip on his shoulder and he is out to prove the experts that doubt him wrong.

New England better be careful. With all of the good fortune they've benifitted from for so long this season, they're due some bad luck and misfortune.

No one is caught off guard by New England's defense now, like the Rams were in the Super Bowl. Everyone now knows you must prepare your offense well to face their defense.

New England better be careful. With all of the good fortune they've benifitted from for so long this season, they're due some bad luck and misfortune.

So, losing Rosie Colvin for the year wasn't bad luck, or misfortune? Or the fact that Ty Law, Mike Vrabel, Ted Johnson, Ted Washington, 40% of their O-line, and their top 3 receivers all suffered injuries severe enough to cause them to miss games? Not the mention the injuries that should have forced players to miss games, but instead left them playing at much less than 100%?

If anything, I think the Pats had more bad luck than good, with the only real good luck that springs to mind is the fact that Brady wasn't hurt when Milloy hit his leg in the season finale.

So, losing Rosie Colvin for the year wasn't bad luck, or misfortune? Or the fact that Ty Law, Mike Vrabel, Ted Johnson, Ted Washington, 40% of their O-line, and their top 3 receivers all suffered injuries severe enough to cause them to miss games? Not the mention the injuries that should have forced players to miss games, but instead left them playing at much less than 100%?

If anything, I think the Pats had more bad luck than good, with the only real good luck that springs to mind is the fact that Brady wasn't hurt when Milloy hit his leg in the season finale.

Every team has injury problems, the Pats included.

I think he was referring more to the fact of the fact that they've just barely scraped out wins on more than one occassion (the Houston and Indianapolis games immediately spring to mind). That luck runs out eventually. Besides, it's a damn near impossible to win 15 games in a row in today's NFL...something will have to give at some point. Don't be surprised if the Pats lose.

are there ANY Colts fans around

*raises hand*

I'm confident the Colts can beat the Pats (especially after our game during the season), but Peyton Manning is so used to playing in a Dome, I just hope he can adjust to playing in cold-ass New England in a playoff atmosphere. But the streak has to end sometime, and Manning's been so hot lately, I have faith that *THE* MVP can adjust. I predicted it would be Indy/Philly when the playoffs began, and I'm going to stick with it.

I think he was referring more to the fact of the fact that they've just barely scraped out wins on more than one occassion (the Houston and Indianapolis games immediately spring to mind).

No more than any other team. There isn't a team in the playoffs (Indy included) that hasn't had to sweat out at least two or three games they shouldn't have this season.

That luck runs out eventually.  Besides, it's a damn near impossible to win 15 games in a row in today's NFL...something will have to give at some point.  Don't be surprised if the Pats lose.

Yes, it's incredibly hard to win 15 games in a row...if you're starting from zero. If you've already won 13 in a row, it's not that hard at all to win 15 in a row.

Guest El Satanico

Yeah ok...New England has had no luck involved with this season. Yep they've just somewhere managed to win 13 straight even with the injury problems, but nope it didn't involve good luck or good fortunes.

I understand that you're a fan of the team, but give us a fucking break. Even the players know they've been very fortunate.

I'm not knocking the team or anything, so don't take it that way.

No one is caught off guard by New England's defense now, like the Rams were in the Super Bowl. Everyone now knows you must prepare your offense well to face their defense.

Tell that to every player/coach/coordinator that I've read saying "It's tough to gameplan against this team, since you don't know what coverages they are going to throw at you and they never seem to keep the same looks every week."

From an article in today's Providence Journal:

Mike Heimerdinger, the Titans' offensive coordinator, says Sunday's game is "strength against strength."  "With the New England defense, you never know what grouping is in there and what they'll do out of it.  You have to be sound in what you're doing and have [everybody accounted for.]"

New England runs so many defenses that it's almost impossible to figure them out.

I think the Colts have a very good chance, but a great offensive mind cannot outdo a great defensive mind. However, the Colts have a very good defensive mind in Tony Dungy so it'll be an interesting game.

I just can't pick offense over defense until I see offense top defense.

Guest El Satanico

Tell that to every player/coach/coordinator that I've read saying "It's tough to gameplan against this team, since you don't know what coverages they are going to throw at you and they never seem to keep the same looks every week."

From an article in today's Providence Journal:

Mike Heimerdinger, the Titans' offensive coordinator, says Sunday's game is "strength against strength."  "With the New England defense, you never know what grouping is in there and what they'll do out of it.  You have to be sound in what you're doing and have [everybody accounted for.]"

Yes, I'm well aware of all that. I'm not at all saying that it's easy to gameplan for their defense, just that teams are aware of it and aren't going to be blindsided by it.

I'd also like to see people quit with that "New England barely wins games, they are lucky" talk.

New England wasn't exactly an offensive juggernaut the year they won the Super Bowl. That is not the type of team they are or have ever been. They are very much like the New York Giants with a great defense and an efficent offense.

Plus, the Chiefs were blowing teams out but now they are sitting at home drinking beers and crying with Dick Vermeil.

New England may not blow teams out, but they do just enough to win ballgames.

I love what the Colts can do on offense and I still think they have an excellent chance to win this game. As a Pats fan, this is the last team...well actually, the Ravens were the last team....well, they were the last team I wanted to see New England have to face for the AFC title.

I've gotta ask, are there ANY Colts fans around (The HOOOOOOOOORN)?  I know the Pats fans, I know the Eagles fans, and there are even a few Panthers fans sprinkled in, but I haven't heard from one Colts fan yet.  I mean people from Indiana (or wherever) that root for the team, not fans of Peyton Manning or any one player.

Just an observation.

I am. And as far the Pats-Colts game, even if Indy gets beat, I'm pretty damn happy they made it his far, and proved a lot of critics wrong along the way.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

My superbowl prediction: The Colts beat the TAR out of Philly, 33-13

A couple more things: I am still upset about not getting my Colts-Packers Super Bowl. :(

Also, if Manning is on the cover of Madden 2005, hell will be raised.

A couple more things: I am still upset about not getting my Colts-Packers Super Bowl. :(

Also, if Manning is on the cover of Madden 2005, hell will be raised.

Nah, they'll go with McNabb just to piss off the Eagle fans when he breaks his leg in a pre-season game.