TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Just J

I thought death threats were grounds for banning?

Guest FrigidSoul
The reason death threats is a bannable offense isn't because it upsets people it's because if something were to happen to the recipent of the death threat, Dames could concievably get in trouble.

That's a new one.

The sad thing is its true. Since he's running the place if a subsequent threat is given out and the person goes beyond threatening and taking action Dames gets some of the blame for not notifying the proper authorities. So how do you cover your ass? If you think the person is going to go through with it you ban them to "protect" the other person and from there state that you also advise they contact the authorities.

What the fuck is banning them going to do? If someone is crazy enough to carry out a death threat given out over the Internet, banning them is probably going to make the situation worse.

Also, if this is the case, then if someone on the board said they were going to kill a celebrity and then went out and did it, would it be Dames' fault?

Guest FrigidSoul

There's got to be evidence to show actual motive. I don't think he would get hit with any fines or legal penalties but his name would be slightly smeared by reporters saying "The board moderator knew and didn't do anything to step in or contact authorities, blah, blah, blah".Its basically Dames ridding himself of what could be a future annoyance.

"Oh man, I got... banned."

(moments of silence while the angry poster looks at the gun in his hand and contemplates his planned actions)

"... I've gone too far."

(attempts to re-register with the name "Ecto Cooler II")

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes

(moments of silence while the angry poster looks at the gun in his hand and contemplates his planned actions)

"... I've gone too far."

Whats with the "II" on Ecto Cooler II? Was that a Johnson name?

"... I've gone too far."

Whats with the "II" on Ecto Cooler II? Was that a Johnson name?

No, "Charlie Ward" was a Johnson name once though. You actually want Johnson back? Man.

hmmm....with Johnson gone...I think that takes care of every single poster that I think is a completely useless scumbag that I would have banned long ago if I abused power.

Instead...every one of them found banning at someone elses hands.

I have an instict about these people. Now if only they'd let me ban people based on blind hatred alone.

I have an instict about these people.  Now if only they'd let me ban people based on blind hatred alone.

But bps, if we did that, then we would never be able to get to see all the stupidity that these poor dillusional saps bring to the table.

Oh... and can I just give a big:

I HATE JOHNSON~!

Cause CWM is cool and he is not.

I have an instinct about these people. Now if only they'd let me ban people based on blind hatred alone.

(runs back and forth in front of BPS, flaunting the TSM rule book)

"Nanny nanny boo-boo!"

Guest Krazy Karter
Since he's running the place if a subsequent threat is given out and the person goes beyond threatening and taking action Dames gets some of the blame for not notifying the proper authorities.

First Amendment > Dames

It's a message board. Could it be used as evidence if such an incident occured, yeah.

However, Dames has no liability as to what happens in the real-world as a result of the postings on his public forum.

His moral guidelines as to what TSM should contain are clearly stated in the rules. We're not like a cult here trying to further a cause.

As long as he didn't condone the action (and went beyond the message board to contribute to it happening) , Dames is fine.

Guest FrigidSoul
Since he's running the place if a subsequent threat is given out and the person goes beyond threatening and taking action Dames gets some of the blame for not notifying the proper authorities.

First Amendment > Dames

It's a message board. Could it be used as evidence if such an incident occured, yeah.

However, Dames has no liability as to what happens in the real-world as a result of the postings on his public forum.

His moral guidelines as to what TSM should contain are clearly stated in the rules. We're not like a cult here trying to further a cause.

Ok...I can see your point, now drink the punch!

I like ABOBO.

I didn't like Johnson.

I like Sass.

I love this thread.

Classic-ize it for historical purposes. That way, if a new poster that actually possesses some intelligence comes in months from now and someone names Mr. J, we can direct them to the thread where it all came to a head for Just J.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

This thread is ghey. The jist of it is, CWM's pussy got full of sand when Johnson made fun of the whole drinky-drink ordeal, and it all blew out of that pink hole like a whirling sandstorm and enveloped him like a bunch of locusts. I would've read Sass's ever-informative biblical text on the matter, but I can't really be bothered enough to look at this in any greater detail.

TSM: We put Drama in the water.

That's my hometown's slogan, but I feel it applies here as well.

The jist of it is, CWM's pussy got full of sand when Johnson made fun of the whole drinky-drink ordeal, and it all blew out of that pink hole like a whirling sandstorm and enveloped him like a bunch of locusts.

That's my take on it, too. No one has the right not to be offended by something someone else says about them on the internet. Really, people take themselves, their online personas, and the internet FAR too seriously.

Here was my take on why he should have been banned:

Trolling is defined as the consistent posting of useless material with the intention of getting off-topic and specifically eliciting and inciting undesirable responses from users reading the thread.

Let's see. Johnson would repeatedly post either flames or nonsense posts in threads in HD, which had absolutely nothing to do with the discussion, drawing attention to him (thus, off-topic), and almost always in an attempt to rile people up.

So there you go. As far as I read the rules, Johnson was one hell of a troll, and that's what bothered me the most -- that he kept posting in good threads for the sake of stirring shit.

Guest Compton Ass Terry
I've read enough.

Both Johnson and CWM have overreacted in this whole affair and what I see is each side grasping at straws by trying to make the other look bad. But what sets the two of you apart is that you, Johnson, managed to make snide remarks about CWM's problems with alcohol in more than one thread and did not keep your opinions contained in one thread but rather brought them over into several threads which CWM pointed out in another thread and that is trolling.

You were warned to stop stirring up trouble at TSM by the mods here before Johnson when Dames allowed you back into the board after the misunderstanding with Banky's account went down. You broke your compromise to not stir up trouble by bringing up CWM's alcoholism more than once in both the Hardcore Discussion and General Chat folders. Starting this thread in the hopes of getting Mr.Rant and FrigidSoul banned was a mistake as I see nothing ban worthy with what either person said since it is clear that both posters were making their comments in jest, not in a serious manner that would pose a thread to your well being. Again, you were grasping at straws with the topic of this thread and instead of seeing both Mr.Rant and FrigidSoul banned, you have managed to bring yourself into the spotlight with this thread and put yourself into question as to whether or not you should be banned yourself.

Your argument has no legs to stand on, albeit Mr.Rant and FrigidSoul's comments were not made the best of taste. The comments made by you to CWM about his problems with alcohol are what I find more damning than Mr.Rant and FrigidSoul talking about a Grateful dead t-shirt or FrigidSoul talking about taking a piss on your grave when you are in no way or shape in the way of harm from either poster.

In your defense Johnson, CWM should have ignored your comments. But it was clear you were just trying to get a rise out of him because otherwise you would have never brought up his alcoholism in the first place in your posts. I admit that it seemed like CWM has been on something of a witch hunt for you and I did not find it to be in his best interest. But you did yourself no favors Johnson by bringing up CWM's alcoholism in more than one of your posts as well as requesting the ban of two posters who did nothing, in my mind, that would constitute such an action.

Initially when I saw this thread, I was not crazy about issuing a banning to either party involved in this thread because I did not see much of an offense that would warrant such an action. But after seeing the comments made by you to CWM in more than one thread about his problems with alcoholism and just general sniping of him in those threads you are, effective immediately, banned from TSM.

To CWM, my parting words to you are to not let someone like Johnson get under your skin so easily next time and to let them dig their own graves instead of giving them more ammo to use against you.

I have done some research and found that Johnson's comments were contained in one thread. Therefore he wasn't trolling. Not to mention that CWM and Hoff were both starting as much shit if not more then Johnson, making them just as guilty as him.

Que? ::has sigs and avatars turned off during the week for at-work browsing::

Edit: Clicking on my profile shows my correct avatar and sig. Shrug.

Edited by DrTom

I'm starting to think I'm the only guy with whom every thread looks fucked up now. All text is centered and shit, and when that isn't the phenomenon, sigs and avatars are with different people, and different posts are credited to different people, not to mention the threads where I'll see a post within another post.

Guest Krazy Karter
different posts are credited to different people

cite an example and we'll see if it happens with us

This thread certainly looks interesting now. How did DrTom get Hoff's sig again?

I haxored his account. Bwa ha ha.

I'm starting to think I'm the only guy with whom every thread looks fucked up now. All text is centered and shit, and when that isn't the phenomenon, sigs and avatars are with different people, and different posts are credited to different people, not to mention the threads where I'll see a post within another post.

Seems to be in Netscape. I use Netscape at home, annd was getting the same funky shit. One thread had the last couple posts, as well as the bottom portion of the page, all enclosed in a quote block.

With IE it seems to be fine.