TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Corey_Lazarus

Recent Purchases

Prince - Sign O' The Times

Dayum.

explain the "dayum."

jay-z - the black album. it's okayish. on the whole, i prefer the grey album remixes i've downloaded (especially "december 4th").

robert johnson - 'a proper introduction to robert johnson'. yes, that's the title of the album. twenty-nine tracks of robert johnson on one cd for ten dollars at borders. of course it's awesome stuff, but listening to the whole thing at once gets a little monotonous and overwhelming.

Just picked up:

"Once" by Nightwish

"Loveless" by My Bloody Valentine

"Limbo" by Throwing Muses

Throwing Muses and Nighwish both seem pretty good, but MY WORD how awesome is "Loveless"! Great stuff, and an album I'd always kind of wanted, but never got around to buying until now

f91434oix91.jpg

Pretty good, wanted Solid State Survivour but it wasn't in the shop, a worthy purchuse

d86303y6ibg.jpg

Really good, been meaning to pick it up sooner and now I wish I had.

I have also been desperatley been trying to track down the soundtrack for the movie "Cruising" but its been discontinued, and the internet is being no help either

a group of people from scion were offering free shit and a $15 gift certificate to the wuxtry if you test drive their car and fill out a survey. so i did that, and i got 'purple rain' for free. i kicked myself later for forgetting to pick up 'tonight's the night' (which i've wanted to get FOREVER but wasn't willing to spend the sixteen bucks for it), but i can't complain with my choice. the record seems pretty solid overall, and has lots of good stuff going on, but there's a LOT of 80s synth cheesiness to get over, and it sounds more like a relic of the decade's excess than a timeless poprockfunk masterpiece.

"The Big Lebowski OST"

"Doctor Syntax" by Edwyn Collins- continuing my current Edwyn obsession, can't believe it was only £3. Far more laid back than previous works, with no obvious singles, but still good stuff.

"The World Wont Listen" by The Smiths- "You Just Haven't Earned It Yet, Baby" is utter greatness.

"Doctor Syntax" by Edwyn Collins- continuing my current Edwyn obsession, can't believe it was only £3. Far more laid back than previous works, with no obvious singles, but still good stuff.

I love that album. I can't believe you got it for £3 either! I had to pay full price for it. I'd say "20 Years Too Late" is my favourite track from the album.

Great song, I'd say that or "Johnny Teardrop" are my favourites, but the best thing is the way it works so well as a complete album, with no obvious weak links.

and Fossil Fuel: The XTC Singles 1977-92.

Having listened to this pretty non-stop the past few days, I've decided it's the best official compilation I've ever heard. To this point I only had Nonsuch, a $5 used pick-up, and a few individual songs, but this has pretty much cinched that I'll be picking up about 5 studio albums after my next paycheck. Ridiculously fucking good music.

Let's see, in the past week and a half, hell I can't even remember the album names, only listened to each one once so far:

Mobb Deep-their new one, with Got It Twizted on it...

213-the new old group of Snoop Dogg, Warren G and Nate Dogg...woulda been better had it come out in the mid 90s when Death Row was hot...sounds dated by today's standards...

Spice 1-for those of you that don't know him, he was big time in the gangsta rap days back in the early to mid 90s, but kinda went the way of Too Short of basically being a shell of his former self...but I've always been a fan so I had to pick up his new shit...

Alter Bridge-I know what you're thinking, rap, rap, rap, then THIS??? Anyway, I've always liked Creed, regardless of Scott Stapp's stupidity, so I figured I'd pick this one up since it sounds the same, musically (duh!)...main gripe on this one, if you all thought Stapp sounded like Eddie Vedder, well this dude sounds like Chris Cornell, pre Audioslave...i'd say that's the only main knock for this group...

The newly reissued Talking Heads live album The Name of This Band is Talking Heads. Not usually a fan of live albums (and I prefer to watch the film Stop Making Sense than listening to the album), but this double disc set is so, so good.

Guest JebusNassedar

just got back from Family vacation. The five things I learned:

-NBC Loves Michael Phelps, but I dont.

-There are no reasonable prices for NIN's "The Fragile". None.

-My mother actually enjoys Clutch and Nile.

-Tom Waits' "Blood Money" is nowhere to be found except one Borders store in Nevada.

-Frank Zappa is fucking awesome.

With that said, here's what I bought, in kind of alphabetical order.

B

B.B. King - Best Of

Big Head Todd and The Monsters - Sister Sweetly (or something similar. I dunno.)

Black Label Society - The Blessed Hellride

C

Clutch - Jam Room

F

Five Foot Thick - Blood Puddle (To honor a deal I made with a friend. Now officially the worst CD I own, only barely above the copies of OKGo and Will Smith's "Big Willie Style" I got for Christmas.)

Frank Zappa - Strictly Commercial

Frank Zappa & The Mothers of Invention - We're Only In It For The Money (Recognized the album cover from it being in AoO's sig once. chuckled. Then snatched it. Also my favorite buy.)

T

Tom Waits - Blood Money (Good for driving through Nevada, for whatever reason.

Tomahawk - Mit Gas

Patti Smith - Horses

Awesome, awesome album. Except it has a bonus track of a cover of My Generation which I find okay I guess, but not a good conclusion to the album.

Neil Young - After The Gold Rush

I love this one too. I'll put it at equal with Harvest for albums of Young's I own, and it would depend on my mood as to which is better of the two.

Coldplay - A Rush Of Blood To The Head

I know they're not particularly popular here, and I know this album isn't Led Zeppelin II, but I still quite enjoy it, in particular the first half.

And, prizes from a Trivia Contest:

Dixie Chicks Live - Great prize. Haven't even bothered listening to it.

Michael Jackson Number Ones - I guess it's okay, but I haven't bothered listening past Track Eleven, as I can't stand Black Or White, You Are Not Alone or Blood On The Dancefloor. You Rock My World is bearable, and The Earth Song is quite good and I don't know the two newer ones. The thing is, the albums Off The Wall through to Bad are worth owning in their own right, so this album really serves no purpose aside from The Earth Song, and possibly to put on as party music.

"Gorgeous George" by Edwyn Collins for about £3 off eBay, making it my third £3 Edwyn album in a month, but I'm happy to get the mans genius for such low prices.

"Can Our Love..." by Tindersticks which was £5, and they're one of those bands I've always thought I should try listening to and I couldn't really argue at that price. And, to my delight, it's great.

"Head Music" by Suede- I'd been listening to "Coming Up" this morning at work and I'd forgotten how good it was, so, seeing "Head Music" for £5 was a guarenteed sale.

"When I Was Cruel" by Elvis Costello- £3!! Have I mentioned how much I LOVE my nearest CD shop? An absolute bargain!