TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Damaramu

Butterfly Effect....

Ok I just got back from seeing this movie and let me say that I loved it. I really thought it was a good movie but damn.......I'm fucking freaked out.

Something about that whole god damn movie made me extremely uncomfortable. I found myself with butterflies in my stomach the whole time, really creeped out. I was nervous throughout the movie and I jumped at every little thing. And after the movie everything felt surreal. Like I was in a movie...nothing felt real.

I asked my friends and they informed me that they didn't like the movie. I asked them about being uncomfortable and they all said that they had the same feeling. The movie creeped them out to.

So who saw it? Anyone share in my feeling?

Why did it do this?

Guest El Satanico

How was Ashton?

And no, that's not the only thing that I'm interested in about this film. I think the movie looks good, but I'm interested in how he did in a serious role.

He had a few funny moments but overall I thought he did well. I actually believed him as a serious actor. I wasn't sitting there going "It's f'n Kelso trying to act!" I really bought him as the character.

http://scottkeith.blogspot.com/

Apparently SK agrees with me. However he seemed to not enjoy it and seems to be down on it.

I mean I felt extremely uncomfortable throughout the movie but I mean I did sort of enjoy it. But I really liked it....a lot. And I'd love to see it again.

And that leads me to my question? How can a movie give you every wrong feeling in the world......yet you enjoy it?

Guest El Satanico

I have no clue what you're referring to as your "feeling" or if it pertains to the movie itself.

However, feeling something after a film is a good thing. Unless it's a feeling that the movie shouldn't give you, any feeling should be embraced and enjoyed.

I have no clue what you're referring to as your "feeling" or if it pertains to the movie itself.

However, feeling something after a film is a good thing. Unless it's a feeling that the movie shouldn't give you, any feeling should be embraced and enjoyed.

I'm just saying the entire movie made me uncomfortable and nervous.

Like I didn't want to be there watching it...like I shouldn't be watching it.

Guest Ghettoman

Then mission accomplished on setting a vibe and continuing it through-out the movies.

Any movie that gets me thinking to the point of feeling weird gets an A from me, so I'll probably see it.

Like I didn't want to be there watching it

This pretty much sums up my feelings of the movie. I was bored as hell until they got to the Ashton parts of the movie. I thought there were too many times where they threw humor in the movie. I really did not like Amy Smart in this movie (and I am a fan of hers). And the ending was ridiculously predictable, but I hated it. It went against the whole point of the movie.

This pretty much sums up my feelings of the movie. I was bored as hell until they got to the Ashton parts of the movie. I thought there were too many times where they threw humor in the movie. I really did not like Amy Smart in this movie (and I am a fan of hers). And the ending was ridiculously predictable, but I hated it. It went against the whole point of the movie.

Well that's not why I felt like I wanted to leave....I enjoyed the movie.

Since the spoiler tags don't work, I'll rephrase this.

I came away from the movie feeling really good, for some reason. But I think the most disconcerting thing was the brother of Amy Smart's character. I wanted to beat his ass. Really good actor, and he really got the role across well.

Anybody seen the new VH1! show "Best of the Week" in the typically now cliche way it has comedians and stars make 30 sec sound bytes about what is popular at the moment. Well Chris Jericho was a guest and said "I'm a serious actor now that I have a beard"

I just got back from seeing it and I thought it was one heck of a movie. I agree the Damaramu fella about being uncomfortable and all but it was perfectly executed. I give the movie two thumbs up seriously. Not for those who like cliche, vin diesel punchline movies .

Guest OctoberBlood
Anybody seen the new VH1! show "Best of the Week" in the typically now cliche way it has comedians and stars make 30 sec sound bytes about what is popular at the moment. Well Chris Jericho was a guest and said "I'm a serious actor now that I have a beard"

:lol: Makes sense.

Guest T®ITEC

I saw it a few hours ago and I feel very VERY sick to my stomach. Ugh. Great, great film. Sadly, the ending surpised me. I thought they'd pull off something cliche, like *everything* works out for Evan, but I'm glad it didn't.

I've gotta go see it again...

I saw it a few hours ago and I feel very VERY sick to my stomach. Ugh. Great, great film. Sadly, the ending surpised me. I thought they'd pull off something cliche, like *everything* works out for Evan, but I'm glad it didn't.

I've gotta go see it again...

Man see...I'm not the only one! It was weird.

Anybody seen the new VH1! show "Best of the Week" in the typically now cliche way it has comedians and stars make 30 sec sound bytes about what is popular at the moment.  Well Chris Jericho was a guest and said "I'm a serious actor now that I have a beard"

:lol: Makes sense.

Well, he just shaved it off recently..

Anyway, I thought the trailer I saw looked stupid, but judging from some of the feedback I might rent it when it comes out in like, July.

SPOILER

The ending DID make sense, in that meeting her at the end would have been predictable, and would have made everything "perfect". The whole point of him trying to fix everything was that despite solving one problem, NOTHING is supposed to be perfect. Having them meet again and live "happily ever after" would have gone against the point of the movie.

SPOILER

The ending DID make sense, in that meeting her at the end would have been predictable, and would have made everything "perfect". The whole point of him trying to fix everything was that despite solving one problem, NOTHING is supposed to be perfect. Having them meet again and live "happily ever after" would have gone against the point of the movie.

SPOILER (this is going to be a pain in the ass til these get fixed)

I thought the ending where he went to her, said get away, and that was the end was entirely predictable. My problem is that I don't see that as some big development. By that point he knew he couldn't have her and we saw that she turns out best in the reality where she never gets with him (where she gets with Lenny). So they build it up that you are supposed to feel heartbreak because he was willing to give her up to save everything, but I don't get that emotional impact since we know if they get together the best thing that happens to her is she dies. And once we get back to present day everything is all "happily ever after". All four characters turn out well with the only thing "wrong" is them not knowing each other.

Guest El Satanico
I might rent it when it comes out in like, July.

It'll likely be sooner than that. DVDs seem to be coming out a couple of months after the theatrical run of alot movies now.

Guest NaturalBornThriller4:20

I don't know but, this movie really affected me and the way I view things...

I don't remember ever being changed by a movie before.

Excellent movie, in my opinion... this will end up being one of my favorites for 2004.

I know i'll be going to see it again.

haven't not seen the movie as of yet...I kinda have a question/comment...

When he goes back through time and makes those changes occur...does he return to the same place he was in the present? I saw in the trailer that he goes back and slams his hands on two nails...then has scars when he is older...but is he back in the SAME PLACE?

If he IS...then there is something seriously wrong. Going back and even changing something the TINIEST BIT can have drastic DRASTIC effects on the future (which is what the butterfly effect is about). It's like...if I don't go to the ATM machine right now and take money out of my account to pay for food...I will wait till tomorrow... RIGHT? but...had I went...I would have went to the grocery store as well...and maybe walked into a hold-up and gotten shot and killed. Because I didn't leave my chair and go down there...that little act of just saying "meh...I'll go tomorrow" saved my life. It's those little things that can change the world (even for people not involved in the direct action).

If his little changes completely alter his life then fine...it's dandy.

Remember that movie "Mr. Destiny"? One little moment in time changes his entire life. Same principle. THAT is the Butterfly Effect.

He doesn't end up back in the same place.

I thought this movie was pretty cool, and I would probably see it again, though I won't because I almost never do that. I'll get the dvd though. One thing, though...

spoiler

I got the strong impression that he was going to be gay at the end. Like, after he throws the journals in the fire, Lenny kisses him and they pan out on him screaming.

Remember that movie "Mr. Destiny"? One little moment in time changes his entire life. Same principle. THAT is the Butterfly Effect.

Same as in the "Time and Punishment" short on one of the Simpsons Halloween eps, and there was an episode of Duckman like that too.

He doesn't end up back in the same place.

I thought this movie was pretty cool, and I would probably see it again, though I won't because I almost never do that. I'll get the dvd though. One thing, though...

spoiler

I got the strong impression that he was going to be gay at the end. Like, after he throws the journals in the fire, Lenny kisses him and they pan out on him screaming.

SPOILER

I thought the same thing. He throws the fires into the journal and Lenny leans over and kisses him and he freaks out.

Guest T®ITEC
SPOILER

I thought the same thing. He throws the fires into the journal and Lenny leans over and kisses him and he freaks out.

...Okay, now I totally want that ending instead of the real one. That would have, I think, ruined the movie. But I would treasure it.

I just saw this movie, and wow it was good.

Everything made sense at the end of the movie, and it ended perfectly. Basically, this is a movie that will some will like and some will hate. It is just one of those movies.

Guest BrokenWings

I just saw this movie.

Wow.

I'll certainly be getting this on DVD, and I may even consider going to see it again.

One thing I'd like to note: They legitimately had me loathing the brother when he was a child. He's a great little actor. The part with the dog had me thinking 'You fucking asshole.'

The same with the father, but that doesn't actually need to be noted for obvious reasons.

They draw the viewer in emotionally very well.

...great, great movie. This will certainly be Kutcher's breakout film into serious roles.