G: Doug Christie

Feel free to add anything I missed.

Your turn.

MVP: Hate to say it but LeBron James, changed the Cavs to playoff contenders

Rookie: Carmelo Anthony

6th man: Antawn Jamison

Most Improved Player: Michael Redd

Defensive Player: Ben Wallace

Coach: Jeff Van Gundy (finally got the Rockets to play)

I don't have the mind capacity to do the teams.

Guest Redhawk

MVP: Kevin Garnett (runners-up: Peja Stojakovic, Tim Duncan, Stephon Marbury)

Rookie: LeBron James (runner-up: Carmelo Anthony)

6th Man: Bobby Jackson (runners-up: Al Harrington, Earl Boykins, Antawn Jamison)

Defensive: Ron Artest (runners-up: Garnett, Ben Wallace, Andrei Kirilenko)

Guest Redhawk

So how does LeBron win MVP but not win Rookie of the Year?

Guest OctoberBlood

MVP: Kevin Garnett

Rookie: LeBron James

Defensive: Allen Iverson

Most Improved: Michael Redd

Coach: Jeff Van Gundy

Rookie of the Year is the best rookie in the NBA. MVP is not the best player in the NBA but the player that if their team did not have, they would be absolute shit.

MVP: Kevin Garnett (now, let me see him pull a Manning and win a series. No excuse this year) but a special mention to Michael Redd with a quiet 22 ppg on the "huh? What the heck? They aren't last??" Bucks.

6th man: Bobby Jackson

Defensive: Ron Artest

Most Improved: Michael Redd (although I knew he was good since college)

Coach of the year: Terry Porter (my god, the Bucks are above .500 in the hardest division in the East! And he's doing it with basically nothing in terms of names.)

Special Mention award: Terry Stotts (all that talent and they still stink and he still has a job in easily the worst non-college sports city in the country. How he is doing it, I'll never know)

Rookie of the Year is the best rookie in the NBA. MVP is not the best player in the NBA but the player that if their team did not have, they would be absolute shit.

Not this nonsense again. The MVP award is for the BEST player. How the hell it can stand for anything else I'll never understand.

Not this nonsense again. The MVP award is for the BEST player. How the hell it can stand for anything else I'll never understand.

That's not true.....Karl Malone won the MVP. Was he the best player the same year Jordan retired again? Hell no. Allen Iverson won the MVP...he sure as hell wasn't the best player that season. If it were for the best it would be the MOP like college basketball uses during the NCAA tournament.

They didn't mess up. They felt that w/o Karl Malone the Jazz would have sucked, and I agreed. Without Iverson in 2001 would the Sixers have even made it to the playoffs. NO.

Guest NaturalBornThriller4:20

Rookie: Carmelo Anthony > You.

Defensive: Ron Artest

Most Improved: Stephen Jackson / Zack Randolph

Coach: Rick Adelman

Extra:

"Our Savior In The Form Of A Basketball Player" Award: Stephon Marbury

And Carmelo Anthony didn't ?

29-23... enough said. Would you care to compare that to last season ?

But WHY should they give an award based on that? Its an award determined by who your teammates are, which is one of the factors a player DOESN'T control. Its nonsense.

But they do, so there is no point in talking about it.

Guest NaturalBornThriller4:20
The Nuggets also added many new players to their roster and Marcus Camby wasn't hurt.

Eh, but they aren't big names... just regular hard working guys. It paid off regardless...

Either way, I say Carmelo Anthony is having the better year.

Please explain the difference. Because I haven't seen an explanation that includes anything except player A had different teammates than player B. How are you more valuable without being a better player?

I'll go so far as to say a player who drives in just one run all year in a game that a team that makes the playoffs wins...is more valuable than a guy who bats in a million and his team finishes in last.

LAST. WORST in the division. There are no valuable players there. It defies the definition of the word. "Thank god we had ARod or we'd have finished...laster?"

A player on a last place team is not more valuable to that team than a player that plays on a winning team.

How much worse could the Rangers have finished than LAST???

Seriously...without ARod they're still in last.

LAST. WORST in the division. There are no valuable players there. It defies the definition of the word. "Thank god we had ARod or we'd have finished...laster?"

Ok. I'll run a few numbers for you.....

Texas. 71 wins. Attendance: 2,094,394

Detroit. 43 wins. Attendance: 1,368,245

There is a difference. A win is inherantly valuable at any level. They give hope and faith to your fanbase. The Rangers could reasonably believe they could win a game on any certain date. I don't think the Tigers had that luxury. Besides, it still doesn't address what other players specifically did better than A-Rod to help their team win. Did they do a voo-doo dance? Pay for a round of hookers to provide inspiration? Baseball is unique in that it has a wonderful realm of stats, in black and white. They don't lie. A-Rod outperformed every player in the American League.

I'll go so far as to say a player who drives in just one run all year in a game that a team that makes the playoffs wins...is more valuable than a guy who bats in a million and his team finishes in last.

I think I responded to a similar argument before, but that's just plain silly. Was Jeff Weaver really more valuable than A-Rod?

It doesn't matter how many games out you finish. Out is out.

That's like saying losing by 1 is different than losing by 100. The score is useless...the win is all that matters.

Did Jeff Weaver win a game for a team that finished first in the division? Then yes...he's more valuable than ARod. Not better. More valuable. There is NO VALUE in last place. How can there be value in last place. Last by a game or last by 162 games is still last. Last.

Guest Redhawk
A player on a last place team is not more valuable to that team than a player that plays on a winning team.

Maybe the line of reasoning was that instead of winning 50 games with A-Rod, Texas would have won like 20 without him.

Maybe the line of reasoning was that instead of winning 50 games with A-Rod, Texas would have won like 20 without him.

That doesn't matter. The 50 games got them last...and 20 gets them the same thing.

They could win 0 without him and it doesn't make his 50 worth more than...LAST PLACE.

You can't do worse.

It doesn't matter how many games out you finish. Out is out.

That's like saying losing by 1 is different than losing by 100. The score is useless...the win is all that matters.

Did Jeff Weaver win a game for a team that finished first in the division? Then yes...he's more valuable than ARod. Not better. More valuable. There is NO VALUE in last place. How can there be value in last place. Last by a game or last by 162 games is still last. Last.

It most certainly matters. The object of the baseball season is to win as many games as possible. A-Rod dragged an otherwise terrible team to 71 wins. There's value in that. Besides, the MVP is just a fancy name for the best player. Some people have gotten WAY too literal over it.

Rookie: Lebron James (His all around game eclipses most of the league at this point not just rookies. I would like to have someone point out how Carmello Anthony is having a better season averaging 1.4 less points, .4 more rebounds, and 3.2 less assists. Blocks, Steal, FG%, FT% are almost the same. The only place were Carmello has an edge is TOs)

6th man: Bobby Jackson

Defensive: Ben Wallace

Most Improved: Zach Randolph/Michael Redd

Coach: Terry Porter/Jerry Sloan (Going for the tie here. These two teams were the two of the most common answers when preseason picks were going out for the worst team of the season. Both teams are in the playoff hunt. Porter is especially impressive because he is a rookie coach. Sloan is especially impressive because probably 50% of the Utah fans do not know everyone in their own starting lineup.)