TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
deancoles

Mind Games 96

From reading Scott keith's rant about the Shawn Michaels vs Mankind match it seems as though the result was changed from Mankind winning to a dq win for Shawn.I've always wondered how they would have made Shawn lose while keeping him strong.I watched the match and noticed that Vader never actually hits Michaels, Here's the finish i think they had planned bearing in mind that Vince only changed the finish about a minute before the end of the match:

Shawn hits the SCM on Mankind

Vader runs in causing Shawn to stop the count

Shawn gets rid of Vader and Sid runs out

Sid and Vader start fighting Outside and Officials try and stop it

Earl Hebner is watching the officials trying to stop the fight

Paul Bearer Hits Shawn with the urn

Mankind uses the Mandible Claw on Michaels and the Ref stops the match

Undertaker then pops out of the Casket when HBK is being placed in it

So all they did different was getting the Timekeeper to ring the bell a minute early.

Do you guys have any opinions on what the finish was?

The impression I got from Foley's first book was that Vader was supposed to break the three count for the DQ but was late getting there, which is what led to Shawn attacking Vader as he came in.

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes

Probably everything you said was the finish LOL. Shawn Michaels losing clean to Mick Foley wouldn't sound right, so they'd pull a KOTR 96, have Bearer hit the guy with the urn, and Mankind apply the claw for the KO win. But I always thought Pins/Submissions won, not Knock Outs, or Referees Decision to end the match.

Probably everything you said was the finish LOL. Shawn Michaels losing clean to Mick Foley wouldn't sound right, so they'd pull a KOTR 96, have Bearer hit the guy with the urn, and Mankind apply the claw for the KO win. But I always thought Pins/Submissions won, not Knock Outs, or Referees Decision to end the match.

When Bob Backlund 1st lost the title he didn't submit or get pinned.

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes

I do remember a time he lost due to excessive blood loss, but retained the title.

I know, I'll read my own sig.

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes
Hold on - they were originally going to put the title on Foley, or he was going to win by DQ?

Mankind was suppose to win I believe, but HBK talked Vince into making Sid the man to beat him for the title instead.

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes
Mankind would only have been champ for a month at the most.

I wouldn't have a clue. WWF remember was promoting VADER as champ for IYH: IT's Time, when he was going to win at SSlam, but HBK 86'ed that. Maybe Undertaker would've won the title from Mankind if they wen't with the plan for Mankind as champion.

Mankind would only have been champ for a month at the most.

I wouldn't have a clue. WWF remember was promoting VADER as champ for IYH: IT's Time, when he was going to win at SSlam, but HBK 86'ed that. Maybe Undertaker would've won the title from Mankind if they wen't with the plan for Mankind as champion.

Maybe Gorilla Monsoon would have made the title vacant due to the way the match was won and Vader could have won a tournament.

After the match at Summerslam and the "two DQ's" thing they did, I always thought they were gonna do a 2/3 falls match with the two of them sometime...but obviously HBK didn't want that.

Did HBK have heat with Vader?

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes
After the match at Summerslam and the "two DQ's" thing they did, I always thought they were gonna do a 2/3 falls match with the two of them sometime...but obviously HBK didn't want that.

HBK didn't want to lose his spot, and apparently "Vader was a stiff bastard".

This is what Scaia wrote about the Mind Games main event:

"Michaels shifts his weight, and BOTH MEN FLY OFF THE TOP ROPE THROUGH THE SPANISH ANNOUNCERS' TABLE! Amazing bump(s). I am not sure why, but after both men went through the table, Vince actually left the announce position to check

on Shawn and the ref. [FWIW, this was either just a little red herring

for the 'cores, with Vince trying to sell that his champ was in

big trouble and he wanted to make sure he was alright or it was

something else that I only caught on to when reviewing the tape late

last night. This is far fetched, but could it be right? Earlier

in the show, Vince announced the "Buried Alive" match for the next

In Your House, and made an out of place comment about how, in a

match between Undertaker and Mankind the WWF Title would NOT be

on the line. Was this just a misphrased "If Mankind should win

tonight, his title will not be on the line," or was it an honest

faux pas by McMahon? If we assume the latter, then by going over

to talk with Michaels and the ref, could McMahon have been setting

up an alternate finish where Michaels would *not* lose the title,

as previous planned? Like I said, far fetched, but given what

little evidence we've got, it is at least plausible.]"

Apparantly, his manager submitted for Bob when he threw in the towel.

During Mankind's entrance Vince says "Mankind the next World Wrestling federation Champion arriving if in fact he is the next champion in a casket" so that's twice he mistakes Mankind as the champ.

From reading Scott keith's rant

I stopped listening after this.

Guest MikeSC

He actually was pinned.

By Antonio Inoki.

In 1979.

Yes, I know what you really meant.

As it is, I doubt they had plans for Mankind to win the World Title. He wasn't nearly over enough to be in that position.

-=Mike

As it is, I doubt they had plans for Mankind to win the World Title. He wasn't nearly over enough to be in that position.

I dunno if I'd say that. Mankind had crazy heat after the two wins over Taker. In fact, a lot of people (marks anyway) actually thought that Mankind would beat Shawn that night. I could easily see Mankind having a reign similar to Taker's from 91.

Guest FrigidSoul

Both he and Vince did, Sass seems to know the whole thing so I'd PM him about it if he doesn't come across this thread. From my understanding however was that Shawn didn't like Vader because he was stiff with him and also was pushing for Sid while Vince didn't like Vader because Vader was slow at the time due to a knee injury, which he later got surgery for. The fact he went and got surgery for it pissed Vince off even more and lead to Vader becoming Kane's bitch.

Thus Vader never had a chance in the WWF. I would however still ask Sass for more details.

Guest MikeSC

Both he and Vince did, Sass seems to know the whole thing so I'd PM him about it if he doesn't come across this thread. From my understanding however was that Shawn didn't like Vader because he was stiff with him and also was pushing for Sid while Vince didn't like Vader because Vader was slow at the time due to a knee injury, which he later got surgery for. The fact he went and got surgery for it pissed Vince off even more and lead to Vader becoming Kane's bitch.

Thus Vader never had a chance in the WWF. I would however still ask Sass for more details.

I thought Vader was scheduled to get the title at IYH: It's Time.

-=Mike

I think he was originally scheduled to have it by then...first at Summerslam, then at Survivor Series, but Sid got put in the Survivor Series match instead.