TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
haVoc

Nick Oliveri Leaves Queens Of The Stone Age

Queens of the Stone Age have always had a revolving door of members, but at the heart of the band was always the partnership of singer/guitarist Josh Homme and bassist Nick Oliveri. Not anymore.

At a time when the band's lineup seemed more stable than it had been in years, Oliveri has unexpectedly left the band, breaking off a musical relationship with Homme that goes back to their days playing together in Kyuss in the early '90s.

"A number of incidents occurring over the last 18 months have led to the decision that the two can no longer maintain a working partnership in the band," read a terse statement from the band's management. On Queens of the Stone Age's Web site, Screaming Trees member Van Conner is now listed as the group's bassist.

There has been speculation that something dramatic happened while the band was in Australia on the Big Day Out tour, but Ipecac Records co-owner Greg Werckman, whose label has released projects by both Homme and Oliveri, said he talked to Homme on Friday, following the completion of the tour, and had no idea there was any bitterness between any of the Queens bandmembers.

"This definitely took me by surprise," he said. "They're both extremely talented people, and they seemed pretty much like kindred spirits. They both just love the music and love rock."

Queens of the Stone Age plan to hit the studio this spring to work on a new album. When MTV News talked to Queens in June, the band said it had more than 25 songs written and hoped to have a new record ready by the spring.

At the time, they had just hired drummer Joey Castillo and said they were looking forward to a long period of stability and productivity. "We've finally found players that want to stay and we want them to," Oliveri said.

According to the band's Web site, Castillo is also no longer with the group. The new drummer is Barrett Martin, who was also in Screaming Trees.

Homme is currently on tour in England drumming with side project Eagles of Death Metal. The band's debut album, Peace Love Death Metal, comes out March 23. Oliveri's most recent side project, Mondo Generator's A Drug Problem That Never Existed, was released in July.

Credit: VH1.com

Some of these bands really need to get off the drugs and check their ego's. They finally get a nice taste of success and then members start quiting or getting fired. Cold, Evanescence, Queens and I can't remember who else recently?

Well, that was out of left field.

To be fair, I don't think Oliveri's leaving has anything to do with getting a big head after success. He always seemed the odd one out of the group.

Interesting that the group has now become Screaming Trees with Josh Homme.

That really sucks, i'm sadend by the loss of Nick as QOTSA are one of my favorite bands and have been since i saw them live back in 2000. Hopefully QOTSA will continue to make good music, and i hadn't really heard about their side projects before so will look into them also.

Edit: Just seen Foosters reply all i have to say is this really sucks losing the core of what was the current line up for QOTSA. Maybe this will stimulate a move in a different direction as i wosn't into the most recent album as i was the other 2.

Strange...I wonder why all of these members keep leaving? I could honestly see Homme getting a big ego, as he was the most recognizable member of QOTSA, plus I'm sure the rest of the band wasn't happy with his "high profile" relationship with Brody Dalle. Maybe Brody = Yoko here.

Lanegan leaving doesn't bother me, but Oliveri is a huge hit. He's been Homme's number one guy since the Kyuss days, and that should be a big hint that something is wrong in Queensland right now.

Maybe it's the fact that he brought in Dave Grohl to work on the last album? Or that the last album sucked in comparison to the first two?

Lanegan leaving doesn't bother me, but Oliveri is a huge hit. He's been Homme's number one guy since the Kyuss days, and that should be a big hint that something is wrong in Queensland right now.

Maybe it's the fact that he brought in Dave Grohl to work on the last album? Or that the last album sucked in comparison to the first two?

I think Lanegan is a big loss as he was easily the best vocalist they had and the band even if he was rarely the most prolific contributor or fulltime member. Saying that, his solo material has always been so good that its great he'll be able to give it total priority. Oliveri only played on Blues For The Red Sun as far as Kyuss is concerned anyway didn't he? Homme became a touring member of Screaming Trees briefly before they called it a day so the connection goes a way back. Maybe Oliveri will go back to getting drunk, naked and arrested with The Dwarves again, if they're even still around.

Yeah it sucks that he left, but whatever they think is right for the group. I'll probably be able to get into anything Homme does and maybe Nick will now try and focus on Mondo Generator. I saw Mondo Generator live and they were awesome.

Guest Basswitch

Ruined my afternoon.

QOTSA are fuckin awesome.. and i cant help but think they are gonna be a lil less awesome now.