TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mikey2Dope

The "What Film(s) Did You Watch Today" Thread

Vanilla Sky - 7/10

Whoa. Weird movie that I didn't really care for until things started to come together and make sense. Tom Cruise was his usual great and I really liked Kurt Russel and Jason Lee. I haven't seen anything by Cameron Crowe that I didn't like.

The pop-culture montage at the end was especially cool.

I Heart Huckabees

That was one of the oddest offbeat weirdest films I've ever seen. I found it very funny at points, but I'm not sure if it really added up to much in the end, definetely need to rewatch.

DayOfTheDeadDivimaxR1.jpg

Day of the Dead-9/10

Night of the Living Dead (1990 remake): 6/10

Meh. Tom Savini directed this, and while he didn't fuck it off, he didn't exactly reinvent the zombie movie like the DOTD remake did. Patricia Tallman and Tony Todd are excellent as the leads, but the supporting cast is kinda weak. It wasn't done too badly, but there was really no reason to do it in the first place.

Pi: 9/10

A wonderful, wonderful example on how to take a budget of about $3.50 and make a compelling movie with it. Shot almost entirely in closeup, this engrossing thriller grabs you and drags you right into the brain of Max Cohen, math genius, a man using computers to do startling theoretical research into numbers. A fun mindfuck.

Apocalypse Now: 10/10

I used to call this my all-time favorite movie. I don't think I would anymore, but it's still goddamned amazing and easily the best Vietnam War movie ever made.

Guest El Satanico

lcl_gardenstateposter.jpg

Garden State 9/10

Zach Braff is definately a performer/filmmaker to keep an eye on.

Of course, I also said that about Darren Aronofsky and the only notable thing he has done since Requiem for a Dream is get booted off a Batman project.

This is what I've watched over the week:

Hotel - interesting Austrian film, with a strong visual sense. The director was a former assistant to Michael Haneke, which I think showed. Very short, but admirably managed to build a suitably oppressive mood.

Hostage - felt contrived and overdone in places, but the mechanics were handled well and it was certainly watchable.

Downfall - unfocused narratively, but it managed to provide an interesting analysis of the Nazi mindset, basically likening it to a suicide cult. Bruno Ganz was amazing in this.

Melinda and Melinda - slight, but amusing, definitly a step up from Allen's other recent work.

demonlover - this was pretty confusing in places, but, for me atleast, this was counterbalanced by Assayas' outstanding control of visuals, sound, movement and editing, all of which added up to a remarkably sinister and disturbing mood. Nice score by Sonic Youth, too. I definitely need to watch this again a few times.

Yesterday:

hitchhikersguidetothegalaxy_poster3.jpg

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (9/10)

Manages to stay fairly close to the book but I'm not going to complain because the addtions/changes were done by Douglas Adams before he died and they are amusing. It was great to see the book come to life on the big screen. Sam Rockwell as Zaphod Beeblebrox and Alan Rickman as the voice of Marvin were the standouts but the rest of the cast were great too. I don't know if it will appeal to those who are fans but it's well worth giving a go particually if you like "British" humour. Great stuff.

Before Sunset - 9/10

How can such a short and simple movie be so damn good? I haven't seen Before Sunrise, and I thought that might be a problem, but it wasn't. I got so completely caught up in the characters, moreso than almost any other movie I've seen recently. Tarantino wishes he could write this flowing dialogue that actually sounds natural. You don't need pop culture references to make it 'everyday dialogue'. Excellent ending, too.

In a fun romantic double-header, this came from NetFlix along with Jules & Jim.