TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mikey2Dope

The "What Film(s) Did You Watch Today" Thread

Harold & Kumar Go To White Castle: 5/10

Maybe you just need to be stoned to really enjoy this one, I dunno. Harold and Kumar themselves are a couple of intelligent, original, likable, really funny characters; too bad they're stuck in such a piece of shit movie. The film has no internal rules or logic, it reels wildly from subtle, witty battle-of-the-sexes humor to H&K riding a goddamned cheetah through the woods. It felt like the filmmakers did this movie in part to apologize for the blatant racism in Dude Where's My Car; that's cool, but now they need to do a movie where they apologize for the rampant sexism in both films.

B0000541U7.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

King of Comedy - 8/10. Very good stuff here, mixture of affection and comedy, to non diehard Chow fans the combo might be tiring but easily one of his best. Cecilia Cheung is too sexy, Ji-hyun Jun has wacky faces and Cecilia has a lightly raspy voice, among other good things.

176235_118x160.jpg

From Beijin with Love - 8/10. A gun which shoots the 1st bullet backwards and the 2nd bullet forward - brilliant. One of the best spy parodies I've ever seen. Chow was still working on his trademark action sequences but everything else including acting was good.

Got over 10 more Chow films to view, some havent seen in ages.

B0002CX134.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Blue Spring

Films about the alienation of the youth are a common theme in Japanese cinema (see Battle Royale, All Night Long, Suicide Club any many, many more). I expected this one to be brutal and over the top after I read some reviews before, but was surprised to find a film that is beautifully shot and acted with the violence taking place slightly off-screen most of the time. I loved many specific scenes, especially Kujo always hanging out on the roof overlooking everything, all the boys waving at the one girl in the movie, the scene with the two guys in the toilet stall, and most of all the suspenseful 'clapping games'. The only real drawback for me was that the film is a bit too short at 83 minutes. After taking its time to flesh out characters and scenery (beautiful cinematography btw) for most of the movie it suddenly rushes to the finish. It could have used about 10 more minutes.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I started watching Eternal Sunshine and got so bored with it I didn't even bother finishing.

Also, I've looked back a few pages, and BlackFlagg likes every movie ever.

B0004Z33E6.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Martin-9/10-(Watched it last night.)

Guest Undertow

Donnie Darko

10/10

Trainspotting

8/10

Requiem for a Dream

9/10

B0001DCY32.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Jin-Roh - 9/10. The whole time i forgot I was watching an animation. Dark story that focuses less on the visuals and more on the characters.

appleseed.jpg

Appleseed (2004) - 7/10. Complete opposite of Jin-Roh, many ways like Casshern, based on a thin story and shortage of action that any robot anime requires.

I had to cut the Chow marathon short, because i started taking his movies in quantitive vain. I shall watch each of his film once a month.

Guest Undertow

Some Kind of Monster:

6/10 It was ok, it was all about Metallica's latest shitty album St. Anger though.

Wayne's World:

easily 10/10

Guest Undertow

Ocean's 11

8.5/10 - Very clever movie. Excellent and much much better than Ocean's 12.

Moives I've watched in the past month or so.

Dazed and Confused - A-

Fast Times at Ridgemont High - B

Se7en - A-

Harold and Kumar go to White Castle - B+

Mean Girls - B+

8 Mile - B-

Star Wars: A New Hope - A

Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back - A-

Star Wars: Return of the Jedi - A-

The Others - A-

North Shore - B-

Friday Night Lights - A-

Without a Paddle - B-

All of those movies, except for the last three, I've seen before. Since I've seen them before, they will get good grades because they were good movies. Hence why there were repeated viewings.

I have gotten really soft when it comes to grading moives. Then again, I won't see watch a lot of movies.