TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kahran Ramsus

OAO 76th Academy Awards Thread

Well, at least geeks around the world have something to be proud of for once.

And if only it WAS the best in every category it won, huh? I mean, that Annie Lennox song totally didn't blow chunks and pale in comparison to everything else, even the Sting composition that didn't seem to have any coherence whatsoever. I'll bite my tongue and give LOTR fanboys this year.

Shit, I'd never think that I'd be ANGRY about LOTR winning things, but here I am.

Long movies can have good editing...who told you they can't.

When you have a five minute block in a movie where NOTHING happens, you don't deserve best editing.

Guest NaturalBornThriller4:20

So is "The Passion Of The Christ" eligible for next year ?

There's 2005's big winner.

Guest El Satanico

Since when does good editing involve cutting every scene that's not action or dialoge packed?

So is "The Passion Of The Christ" eligible for next year ?

There's 2005's big winner.

Yup. I don't think there's any way Passion WON'T win, it has pretty much every credential...

Guest Wildbomb 4:20

Mystic River was a far superior film. It tops the movie that Clint did win for (Unforgiven).

Fuck LOTR. All of them. The series is overblown. Sorry.

Mystic River and Lost in Translation were much more deserving than the three and a half hour turd.

Guest wrestlingbs

You know, I read this thread from start to finish after the show, and I found it hilarious how 75% of the posters seeped slowly into fits of rage as the show progressed. The only thing that beat it was knowing how'd you guys would react when ROTK won Best Picture.

Choken One, Anglesault, some people liked ROTK, deal with it. Just like some people liked Mystic River, or Cold Mountain, or, dare I say it, Titanic. It doesn't make them "nerds," or 'fanboys." or "geeks," it just means they have different tastes. And calling them that only makes you guys look like whiny little babies.

That being said, I didn't agree with some of the pics. I thought Mighty Wind would have been chosen for Best Song. Plus did anybody else think Robin Williams acted like a parody of himself?

Since when does good editing involve cutting every scene that's not action or dialoge packed?

That's the point of editing. The idea is to make every single scene and every single shot mean something. When you have five minutes of nothing happening (esp. in a movie that ends up running around 3 1/2 hrs), you're wasting time and diluting the story.

Wow, TSM can NEVER EVER EVER be happy.

Heh, you just noticed that?

Holy fuck, Choken has 150 posts in this thread.

No, I just didn't think people would get heated about RotK winning that much.

No, I just didn't think people would get heated about RotK winning that much.

Did you see the thread where Eddy won the title? Honestly what doesn't this board throw a bitch fit about?

Guest OctoberBlood

Soem of you people suck. I mean that. :)

Anyways... great Oscars. Loved the opening. Love the in between skits and I thought Crystal did a real good job. All night as enjoyable, and I'm very happy with the winners, esp ROTK, which was 4/4 at the Globes, and 11/11 here .. ALL deserving. Reading through this thead, I'm glad I sat on the couch and watched it rather than here at the desk.. ouch.

Yeah, so anyways... good AA. Ahem.

That's the point of editing. The idea is to make every single scene and every single shot mean something. When you have five minutes of nothing happening (esp. in a movie that ends up running around 3 1/2 hrs), you're wasting time and diluting the story.

If anything, they cut out too much. As anyone who as actually seen them will tell you, the Extended Editions are far surperior to the theatrical cuts.

BTW, you must have hated Lawrence of Arabia.

If anything, they cut out too much.  As anyone who as actually seen them will tell you, the Extended Editions are far surperior to the theatrical cuts.

Ain't that the truth. Especially Two Towers was improved by leaps and bounds in the Extended Cut. Peter Jackson basically admits in the commentary that they should have left the Faramir scenes (esp. the flashback) in the theatrical version. I always wondered how people were supposed to feel sympathy for Faramir in ROTK. The scene where he is sent to certain death by his father while Pippin sings was my favourite scene in ROTK, but it loses much of its impact when you haven't seen TTT Extended.

Just out of curiosity, which "Five minutes of nothing happening" were you referrng to? Because I can;t honestly think of a scene that I would have taken out of RotK.

If anything, they cut out too much. As anyone who as actually seen them will tell you, the Extended Editions are far surperior to the theatrical cuts.

BTW, you must have hated Lawrence of Arabia.

So, if you are freely admitting that they made mistakes with their editing of the theatrical release, then should it still have won an Academy Award for Best Editing?

To be fair, has there ever been a Best Picture winner who NOBODY has disagreed with in recent memory?

American Beauty?

"American Beauty", "The Cider House Rules", "The Green Mile", "The Insider", "The Sixth Sense"

American Beauty is BY FAR the best movie.

But, see, that's your opinion. What if, say, that Academy Awards (I'm guessing it was 2000, wasn't it?) happened last night and other people on this board vehemently disagreed with American Beauty disagreeing? Then would you go into "TSM is NEVER happy" stuff because they don't like what went down?

Guest Annoyed Grunt
So, if you are freely admitting that they made mistakes with their editing of the theatrical release, then should it still have won an Academy Award for Best Editing?

Are you saying ROTK didn't deserve Best Editing because of a mistake in another movie? Tough crowd

To be fair, has there ever been a Best Picture winner who NOBODY has disagreed with in recent memory?

American Beauty?

"American Beauty", "The Cider House Rules", "The Green Mile", "The Insider", "The Sixth Sense"

American Beauty is BY FAR the best movie.

I still say Green Mile owns all dem bitches.

For reference and since I'm bored (winner in bold):

2003 - Chicago over Gangs of NY, The Hours, LOTR TTT, The Pianist

(my pick: The Pianist)

2002 - A Beautiful Mind over Gosford Park, In the Bedroom, LOTR Fellowship, Moulin Rouge

(my pick: LOTR)

2001 - Gladiator over Chocolat, Erin Brockovich, Traffic, Tiger & Dragon

(pick: Gladiator)

2000 - American Beauty over Cider House Rules, Green Mile, Insider, Sixth Sense

(pick: American Beauty)

1999 - Shakespeare in Love over Elizabeth, Private Ryan, Thin Red Line, Life Is Beautiful

(pick: Life Is Beautiful, but it won Best Foreign so I'm OK with Shakespeare)

1998 - Titanic over As Good As It Gets, Full Monty, Good Will Hunting, LA Confidential

(pick: LA Confidential, IMO the biggest screwjob in recent Oscar history)

1997 - English Patient over Fargo, Jerry Maguire, Secrets & Lies, Shine

(pick: Jerry Maguire)

1996 - Braveheart over Apollo 13, Babe, Il Postino, Sense and Sensibility

(no pick, since none of them deserved it)

1995 - Forrest Gump over Four Weddings and a Funeral, Pulp Fiction, Quiz Show, Shawshank Redemption

(pick: Pulp Fiction, but damn what a great year for Hollywood. Forrest and Shawshank deserved it, too.)

1994 - Schindler's List over The Fugitive, In The Name Of The Father, The Piano, The Remains Of The Day

(pick: Schindler's List)

But, see, that's your opinion. What if, say, that Academy Awards (I'm guessing it was 2000, wasn't it?) happened last night and other people on this board vehemently disagreed with American Beauty disagreeing? Then would you go into "TSM is NEVER happy" stuff because they don't like what went down?

I hope you're not talking to me, since I didn't bitch about your bitching at all.

I hope you're not talking to me, since I didn't bitch about your bitching at all.

It's directed at Mole, not you.

2003 - Chicago over Gangs of NY, The Hours, LOTR TTT, The Pianist

(my pick: The Pianist)

2002 - A Beautiful Mind over Gosford Park, In the Bedroom, LOTR Fellowship, Moulin Rouge

(my pick: looks around*...Moulin Rouge)

2001 - Gladiator over Chocolat, Erin Brockovich, Traffic, Tiger & Dragon

(pick: Gladiator)

2000 - American Beauty over Cider House Rules, Green Mile, Insider, Sixth Sense

(pick: Green Mile)

1999 - Shakespeare in Love over Elizabeth, Private Ryan, Thin Red Line, Life Is Beautiful

(pick: Private Ryan)

1998 - Titanic over As Good As It Gets, Full Monty, Good Will Hunting, LA Confidential

(pick: LA Confidential...Titanic was the LAST one that should have won )

1997 - English Patient over Fargo, Jerry Maguire, Secrets & Lies, Shine

(pick: Jerry Maguire)

1996 - Braveheart over Apollo 13, Babe, Il Postino, Sense and Sensibility

(I'm fine with Braveheart winning)

1995 - Forrest Gump over Four Weddings and a Funeral, Pulp Fiction, Quiz Show, Shawshank Redemption

(pick: There was noway they were going to go wrong on this one. Quiz Show is very underrated BTW, but whoevery won, I'd be happy.)

1994 - Schindler's List over The Fugitive, In The Name Of The Father, The Piano, The Remains Of The Day

(pick: Schindler's List)