TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gert T

Men's basketball Conference Tournament thread

I'll repeat that Duke is tops on my list of favorite ncaab programs, but I think 4 losses including one to Purdue puts them behind Gonzaga. But I also think a #1 is more of an honor than an advantage over a 2 seed which is on the opposite side of the bracket with the potential of an easier second round opponent.

Okay, how about sleepers? So far I like Michigan St. and Charlotte.

I think the 4 #1 seeds are St. Joe's, Stanford, Miss St. & Duke. Gonzaga just doesn't have enough quality wins in my book to be a one seed. I agree though that it is more of an honor than an advantage. 16, 8 & 4 aren't that much easier than 15, 7 & 3.

I think that these small conference play-in games are stupid. If a conference isn't going to get an at large bid, why would they run the possibility of their best team getting upset and losing a shot at the tourney.

I'm glad Vitale is not on the committee, on espn.com today Vitale, Bilas, Fraschilla & some other guy had their field of 65 broken down. He had Southern Illinois as a #12 seed, and had Florida State at a #10.

My Dad asked a good question, "where did Vitale have Virginia & Clemson?"

I think Florida State needs to win one game in the ACC tourney to even be considered. I understand that they went 6-10 in the ACC, but they went 0-8 at home in the ACC, and last time I checked no NCAA games are in Tallahassee.

I said it before, all this ACC crap reminds me of the mid 90s when they used to put 6 or 7 from the Big 10 in the tourney....and they'd all job by the 2nd round. While I don't think the ACC will match that futility, you have to wonder about how big and bad it really is when NC St. is in 2nd place. NC St. lost non conf. games to South Carolina, BC, and Michigan.

Guest Choken One

MEET THE FEEBLES

MESSIAH OF THE CLOWNS

MARVINS CRAZY ALL YEAR

Interestin names.

Congrats to Eastern Washington's Big Sky tournament victory and 1st ever NCAA tournament birth. And they're most likely have a date with Stanford as the NCAA usually rewards first timers with the 1-16 matchup.

Damn, long day at UD Arena. It appears Xavier is in now. Although I am a diehard UD fan, I wouldn't mind seeing GW beating Dayton in the finals and try to sneak four A-10 teams in the tourney.

Also it is interesting to note that the final four teams in the A-10 tournament are all in the A-10 West. I'm telling you 1-7 is decent in the A-10, but the lowest 5 really bring the league down.

And currently, Arizona is having problems with USC.

Oklahoma actually beat Nebraska.

I hear if they beat Texas they'll get into the tournament b/c they'll have so many overall wins.

I dunno........I want them to make there 10 tourney in a row.....but I don't paticuarly feel like watching them get murdered out in the first round.

I'm in, even though I'll have to ask my Pops to do the picks for me because I'll be in VB and I doubt there will be a computer anywhere near me.

Anyway, my 4 number 1 seeds are:

Duke

Miss. St.

Kentucky

Stanford

Air Force got beaten last night in the Mountain West quarterfinals. That should open the door for the committee to do another injustice and let Washington in over the Falcons. [/cynicism]

I'm in, even though I'll have to ask my Pops to do the picks for me because I'll be in VB and I doubt there will be a computer anywhere near me.

Duke

Miss. St.

Kentucky

Stanford

You dropped St. Joe's already?!

Duke

Miss. St.

Kentucky

Stanford

You dropped St. Joe's already?!

St. Joe's only deserved a number 1 seed when they were undefeated.

My home state team the UMaine Black Bears is playing the Vermont Catamonts (Wtf is a Catamont anyways) for the America East title tommorow. Hopefully my boys can hold it down before getting murdered by a 1 seed.

Guest Choken One

I have a belief that the 16 seeds should go to AT LARGE slots...not the ones who played their way in...

Besides it makes for more competive play...I'm CERTAIN that we'll get a 16 beating #1 in the men's at some point...it's been done in Woman's...

That defeats the purpose of playing hard and getting a one seed. I think that whatever teams they deem the worst, should get the 16 seeds as is. 1 seeds losing in the first round isn't a good thing IMO.

That defeats the purpose of playing hard and getting a one seed. I think that whatever teams they deem the worst, should get the 16 seeds as is. 1 seeds losing in the first round isn't a good thing IMO.

Agreed

However the play-in game should be between at-large teams. Winner gets a #12 seed since that is usually the lowest an at-large team gets anyway.

Guest Choken One
That defeats the purpose of playing hard and getting a one seed.  I think that whatever teams they deem the worst, should get the 16 seeds as is.  1 seeds losing in the first round isn't a good thing IMO.

Agreed

However the play-in game should be between at-large teams. Winner gets a #12 seed since that is usually the lowest an at-large team gets anyway.

I agree with that...

Stick two teams that are DANGEROUSLY on the bubble...

Term it the "BUBBLE MATCH"

Like Florida St Vs Oklahoma

Guest Jimbo

That sounds liek an awesome idea, and definetily something I'd like to see, but it would never work.

See, that would make sense for hte last few spots, but what about the first few spots? You see how much we are debating who shoudl get the #1 seeds, and those seeds are much more important, so people would demand a mini tournement or playoff for all those seeds as well.

And you can't leave the middle out as people will feel shafted because the spots around them are being determined and they have no control, so we'll end up with a tournement to determine the seeding for the big dance, btu of course, people will complain about who gets into the first touenement, so we'll need one for that, etc, etc...:D

Damn.......Oklahoma is handling Texas right now. Up by 9 at halftime.

Hmm......OU typically makes good showings in the Big XII tourney. They won it the past 3 years. I've heard that if they win against Texas tonight then they're in the NCAA tourney. I think that's wrong. They don't really deserve to be in the tourney unless they win the Big XII tournament.

Damn.......Oklahoma is handling Texas right now. Up by 9 at halftime.

Hmm......OU typically makes good showings in the Big XII tourney. They won it the past 3 years. I've heard that if they win against Texas tonight then they're in the NCAA tourney. I think that's wrong. They don't really deserve to be in the tourney unless they win the Big XII tournament.

20 wins in the Big XII should be enough to get the Sooners in.

However, Texas has closed the lead to 4.

SHIT! Oklahoma just blew there lead and lost by 3 points. God dammit........there season is over now.

Ah well......I have my list of who I root for.

And according to my list when OU isn't available I root for the other state schools..........*steals dad's OSU hat* GO COWBOYS.