TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Slickster

What should I do?

I bought 8 Halloween Havocs on ebay, thinking that they would be 8 tapes of the PPV broadcast. I got 4 SLP quality tapes of the Turner Home Video versions.

I sent the seller an email asking for my $47 back, saying that had I known these facts I wouldn't have bought the tapes.

He says he can't pay me back right now and wants to pay me in tapes. I'd like my $ back; I bought the tapes cheap (avg $6 per tape were they all on 1 tape each) so that I could sell them for profit.

What should I do?

Unless he lied about what they were your chances are pretty slim of getting money back. A lot of people sell their cheap copies but choose their words carefully to get away with it. They aren't even supposed to be selling copies so they make sure to be very vague about what they have. I always make a point to look for things such as "boxed master" or "original in box". If its questionable I usually email them and ask before bidding. You can threaten with negative feedback but you may still get nothing. I would try and negotiate but not let him realize you know you don't have a chance of getting your money back. If worst comes to worst, accept his offer of other tapes and at least get a little something out of it.

Guest Dynamite Kido

I agree with OldSchool on this one. There is very little if anything that you can do to dishonest people on ebay. I had a couple bad experiences on there and now I won't use it again. Plus, depending on how you paid(Money Order, check, or paypal) you can possibly do something. I believe that if you paid through paypal, they might have something on their website that can help you at least file a complaint against the person.

Guest TDinDC1112
...thinking that they would be 8 tapes of the PPV broadcast...

To me, that's the problem right there. You assumed. If he didn't outright lie about it, I'm not sure if you have a leg to stand on unfortunately.

...thinking that they would be 8 tapes of the PPV broadcast...

To me, that's the problem right there. You assumed. If he didn't outright lie about it, I'm not sure if you have a leg to stand on unfortunately.

To make it clearer, he said I'd get 'eight PPVs' in 'good viewing condition.'

And you did get 8 ppvs. Halloween Havoc, whether you get the Turner Home Video version or the actual live ppv version is still the ppv. Its not like he said you'd get the Halloween Havoc ppv and instead you got a Nitro or a Thunder. You just got a clipped version of the ppv.

And as far as paypal goes, they only care if you got anything. They don't handle disputes about whether what you got was crap or not. All he has to do is prove you received his shipment, and they close their investigation.

Guest Dynamite Kido
And as far as paypal goes, they only care if you got anything. They don't handle disputes about whether what you got was crap or not. All he has to do is prove you received his shipment, and they close their investigation

Well there you go. Also HFP, it seems as you weren't specific enough.....let it go, and next time ask all the appropriate questions.....

Guest realsandman420

if your not sure, email the seller. most of the time, when you email them....they will be honest.

also, if you paid by paypal. they will refund your money at a drop of a dime. that's why i no longer take paypal for stuff i sell on ebay. i only do money order's....

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes

I hate buying on ebay. 9/10 times the descripition sucks with little to no information at all.

I'd just do a tape trade if I wanted the shows bad enough.

Guest theoldxpac

Its all the american and canadian useres that seem to sell copies on ebay. All the guys selling in the united kingdom seem to have masters in the box. A good way of checking is if a picture is included, but again that doesnt always mean they will be masters.

Update (or for our bilingual friends, el updateo):

I accepted his offer and will be getting 4 free PPVs sent to me, so it all worked out OK. I guess I'll just have to be more careful. Thanks, guys, for all your help and advice!

Generally, I've found most tapes on eBay to be very poor quality ninth or tenth or even more generation copies. Ever notice how some guys sell copies of all the Saturday Nights ain Events or the Clash of the Cmapions togeather? Well tapes don't last forever,a nd the quality is going to degrde after the fourtieth or fiftieth time you record someting. Case in point, my copy of Royal Rumble 1988 which I won off eBay. The thing is nearly unwatchable because the picture is warped beyond comprehention. It's blurry beyond recognition and is of little value becasue you can't actually make out anything.

I only ever buy original tapes off e-Bay (in the UK). I make sure they have a picture or something in the description about them being boxed originals before I bid. So I'll drop them an e-mail. So far I haven't had any bother with it. I once got the wrong tape but it was all sorted in a couple of days and I have since bought from the guy again.

The only time I've ever been burned was some time a person was advertising copies of event on SKYText's wrestling pages for a £1 each. So I order two but never got them. Mind you I only lost £2 so it wasn't that bad really.

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes

I'm thankfully the one time I did get dubbed copies the VQ was great condition. Otherwise, I look for Masters or want to see a picture first.

I just received Souled Out 2000. The box was cut which was not stated anywhere in the description. The pic makes it look like you're getting an uncut box. If I knew the box was cut, I never would have put a bid on it. I probably should have asked but he had pretty good feedback so I didn't bother. So, I asked for either a refund w/ the returned tape or a 50% refund. I get back a generic "All sales are final, tape was previewed." Dumbass, I knew that. So, I tell him to actually READ the email before responding and ended w/ a sarcastic "Have a nice day". He says something like "Thanks, I have mroe tapes for bidding." I give him negative feedback. He calls me a jerk.

So, I guess getting under his skin was actually kinda worth it.

I'm dubbing the tape for myself right now and will probably sell the original w/ the CUT box for no more than $10 down the road.

Unless if the tape is super rare, super cheap, or originally one of the oversized and/or clamshell CV boxes, I LOATHE cut boxes.

I think the Bruiser may know who I'm talking about here.

Yup, you're talking about a piece of shit. I should compile a list of unethical sellers I've either run across or know shouldn't be dealt with. Anyway, I buy and sell only masters on eBay and while I charge quite a bit (opinions vary) but I'm always straight-up and honest about everything. Additionally, I've never told a buyer that there was nothing I could do when a problem arose. In the rare case of a problem turning up, I've always done something to fix it, often being on the "losing" end of things. I figure it's worth it to keep potential repeat customers happy (p.s. it's worked).

As an aside, I think the fact that the seller in question gives "F-" should've been a sign that he's an idiot.