TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Steve J. Rogers

Hate to throw cold water on Benoit's victory but..

Come on, am I the only one that still thinks the title around Eddie Guerrero is the legit WWE title and Benoit's title is still HHH's ego-fuck Raw belt that was only given because Lesnar took the belt and ball to Smackdown

I get the feeling Bischoff or someone is going to come down on this on Raw or Smackdown this week and next month its Benoit vs Eddie to unify the two belts and do the whole "Champion can appear on both shows" gimmick again

Well maybe part of the feeling comes from hearing for a year and a half from the smarks that the Raw title was not a legit title, even though the WWE clearly held it in more esteem than the actual title Case in point, HHH and HIS belt would main event PPVs and the REAL WWE belt would either be co-main event but not the last match, or be in the mid card.

And now that Benoit has the belt I have this feeling that the WWE will degrade the Benoit belt and put more emphasis on Eddie's title

Steve

It's a World Title belt. It really doesn't matter to me. The only reason I never viewed HHH's belt on the same level as the one Guerrero now holds is because of the way it was presented, and the lack of good feuds/matches for it. If the belt has better matches and feuds for it, and there's not an anchor attached to it like HHH, then the belt means just as much.

"Come on, am I the only one that still thinks the title around Eddie Guerrero is the legit WWE title"

No.

Mostly because it is the legit WWE title...

Well NOW it is, and yeah, as I mentioned the WWE ALWAYS made it important, but for the better part of its existence it has been riddiculed as the HHH Ego-Fuck Championship Belt

Yeah thats because for all of its existence it has been held by HHH and Shawn Michaels but the point is still valid though

Especially when the lineage of WWE Champions still goes through the belt Eddie Guerrero has and not the Raw belt

Guest Salacious Crumb

I don't think anyone has put the whole lack of sense of this move behind them but that doesn't mean you can't enjoy Benoit at the top of Raw. The WWF has a huge chance here to finally start moving everything in the right direction with Eddie/Benoit at the top. Now they just need to get Triple H out of the main event and to get some star power over the SD.

I certainly don't put the belt on the same level as Eddie's title, but look at it this way.

Benoit beat HHH.

Clean.

After fighting off him and his suck-buddy, HBK.

At Wrestlemania 20.

Those alone are pretty big accomplishments.

You forgot to mention "By Submission"

Goldberg also beat HHH clean for the title.

By Submission though is even better.

Guest godofdeadlydeath

I didn't think it was legit how it was just handed to Triple H, but it is, for all intents an purposes, the WCW/"World" Heavyweight Title, and I consider Benoit the World Heavyweight Champion, and see that as a damn fine accomplishment.

How I honest to God see it and I think everyone will agree with me.

HHH handed the belt, basically holds it for over a year: Not the "real" belt.

Benoit beats him clean in the main event of Wrestlemania and celebrates as an equal to WWE Champion Eddy: It has become equal and a legitmate world title.

Come on, am I the only one that still thinks the title around Eddie Guerrero is the legit WWE title and Benoit's title is still HHH's ego-fuck Raw belt that was only given because Lesnar took the belt and ball to Smackdown

Don't forget that fact either, granted that night HHH and Flair had a decent match for it HHH was HANDED the title.

Its not like Bischoff had a special tourney or anything, it was AWARDED to HHH for no apparant (kayfabe) reason (well yeah that he was the last unified champion to carry around the Big Gold Belt if you WANT to call that a reason) no "screw job" loss to Lesnar to say "I WAS ROBBED WITHOUT A CHANCE TO GET THE JOB BACK!"

No rime or reason, just HHH is the top heel with a Ric Flair obsession so give him the Big Gold Belt

Actually it does make some kayfabe sense, but so did the "Million Dollar Belt" and Harley Race's "King of The WWF" title and both were defended for over the course of their existence (Race's long after he left the WWF)

Steve

No, you aren't the only one. Rudo beat you to this a while ago, though.

Although expecting WWE to be logical is a losing endeavor. After Brock lost the title to Show, Show should have been able to go to either show as would Angle, etc.

Reason for HHH getting the Big Gold Belt...and I'll remind all of you again:

HHH won the match the day after Summerslam for a shot at the WWE Championship.

Lesnar that same night became Smackdown Only.

Bischoff saw that as a forfeit, but since he couldn't get the WWE Belt, he decided to make a new one, in honor of HHH "winning".

If you kids could quit your bitching...thatd be great.

Chris Benoit and Eddy Guerrero are champs of the two rosters. Benoit got the HHHuge rub last night, hes been on FoxNews already and more mainstream outlets have reported it.

Good wrestling is at the top of the card...quit crying about belts. ;)

Guest godofdeadlydeath
Reason for HHH getting the Big Gold Belt...and I'll remind all of you again:

HHH won the match the day after Summerslam for a shot at the WWE Championship.

Lesnar that same night became Smackdown Only.

Bischoff saw that as a forfeit, but since he couldn't get the WWE Belt, he decided to make a new one, in honor of HHH "winning".

BINGO

Folks, none of the belts are "real". Its a fake sport, it's all in a portrayal. As the belt handed to and rarely defended by HHH it has no legitimacy. With Benoit winning it clean in the main event of Wresltemania and celebrating with Eddy it brings it's status up to legtimacy in the eyes of the fans.

Guest OSIcon
Folks, none of the belts are "real". Its a fake sport, it's all in a portrayal. As the belt handed to and rarely defended by HHH it has no legitimacy. With Benoit winning it clean in the main event of Wresltemania and celebrating with Eddy it brings it's status up to legtimacy in the eyes of the fans.

Pretty much what I was going to say.

Arguing about a belt being "handed" to someone is silly when technically all belts are "handed out" in wrestling. Saying "Triple H didn't win it in the ring" means nothing. So if they threw him in the ring with any wrestler on RAW and won that match for the title, then it would be legit?

I certainly don't put the belt on the same level as Eddie's title, but look at it this way.

Benoit beat HHH.

Clean. 

At Wrestlemania 20.

You're right. I forgot the most important part.

I am still amazed that HHH agreed to tap to what is basically the biggest WWE PPV ever.

Pretty much what I was going to say.

Arguing about a belt being "handed" to someone is silly when technically all belts are "handed out" in wrestling. Saying "Triple H didn't win it in the ring" means nothing. So if they threw him in the ring with any wrestler on RAW and won that match for the title, then it would be legit?

Actually I agree with that sentiment, but for the better part of the Raw World Heavyweight Title's existence it has been denounced by the smarks and the IWC as being a non-legit title, basically acting like it deserves as much respect as the aforementioned "Million Dollar Belt" and "King of the WWF Title"

Whatever I guess.

Being a Benoit-Jericho fan I do hope we FINALLY get them to slug it out on PPV for the title, been waiting for THAT match for a LONG time (even before their feud with the Two-Man Power Trip)

Steve

I didn't think it was legit how it was just handed to Triple H, but it is, for all intents an purposes, the WCW/"World" Heavyweight Title, and I consider Benoit the World Heavyweight Champion, and see that as a damn fine accomplishment.

Besides that, he left to go to RAW... because he thought RAW's title was more important than SD's title. So I'd say it's pretty damn legit to him.

Guest Bottled Black

Benoit beat HHH.

Clean. 

At Wrestlemania 20.

I am still amazed that HHH agreed to tap to what is basically the biggest WWE PPV ever.

Why do I have a terrible feeling he is setting up the "Internet Smarks on their parents computer's" for the biggest Fuck You in the history of wrestling? Worse than the Finger Poke of Doom. Yes he tapped cleanly at WM, that was part one of the Fuck you (to everyone who said he wouldn't do the job, Michaels was added so HHH wouldnt have to job, etc) I have a feeling Backlash may just end up being what basically amounts to squash with Benoit getting in only token offense.

I hope I'm wrong but I can definitely see "The Cerebral Assasin" in Vince's ear already, convincing him Benoit's title reign was a bad idea.

Benoit beat HHH.

Clean. 

At Wrestlemania 20.

Why do I have a terrible feeling he is setting up the "Internet Smarks on their parents computer's" for the biggest Fuck You in the history of wrestling? Worse than the Finger Poke of Doom. Yes he tapped cleanly at WM, that was part one of the Fuck you (to everyone who said he wouldn't do the job, Michaels was added so HHH wouldnt have to job, etc) I have a feeling Backlash may just end up being what basically amounts to squash with Benoit getting in only token offense.

I hope I'm wrong but I can definitely see "The Cerebral Assasin" in Vince's ear already, convincing him Benoit's title reign was a bad idea.

Because unlike in WCW, Vince is the boss and as much as we sometimes demonize him he would never allow his wrestlers to go into business for themselves and go against what is good for business.

And also unlike Hogan and Nash who were there strictly for their egos and paychecks, again as much as we demonize HHH for his use of political power, he loves wrestling too much to blatantly disrecpect it like that.

Benoit wins the world title and because it's not a decades old belt (though I do consider it part of the WCW title lineage) his victory over Triple H is meaningless? Christ.

Arguing over the legitimacy of a title in a sport where champions are literally pre-determined is rather senseless. So Bischoff gave HHH the title, big deal, it was a perfectly acceptable act from one heel to another, and afterwards it has been defended and covetted, thereby raising it's prestige.

I have to wonder, do we apply the same standard for the TNA world title as we apparently to for Raw, because I sure as fuck don't view it as the same belt held by Harley Race, Ric Flair and all the other NWA greats.

Benoit wins the world title and because it's not a decades old belt (though I do consider it part of the WCW title lineage) his victory over Triple H is meaningless? Christ.

Arguing over the legitimacy of a title in a sport where champions are literally pre-determined is rather senseless. So Bischoff gave HHH the title, big deal, it was a perfectly acceptable act from one heel to another, and afterwards it has been defended and covetted, thereby raising it's prestige.

I have to wonder, do we apply the same standard for the TNA world title as we apparently to for Raw, because I sure as fuck don't view it as the same belt held by Harley Race, Ric Flair and all the other NWA greats.

Well not to get into THAT argument, but it DOES trace back and has the same lineage (it was just worn by scrubs for most of the past decade) but anyway yeah I totally agree with you otherwise.

I don't really care about the historyof Benoit's belt. It has gained a bit of credibility in the last few months, and is now seen as on the level of Eddie's title, so who the hell cares? I'm excited, I'm happy, I'm proud and I'm relieved.

Guest Trivia247

The belt. both Belts can be traced back to the Original WWF and WWWF titles... doesn't matter if the Belt is something Ric flair had in one of his closets under a stack of Playboys. As its used today its used to represent WWE Raw... as the World Heavy Championship represents Smackdown.. But both sets of belts represent the belt held by Hogan, savage, Flair, Hart, Yokozuna, HBK etc etc etc

the cold water is very unnecessary and Let Benoit feel good about His Fucking win Geez.

Me too. I mean here I was expecting another Booker T treatment where HHH could as easily had the biggest fucking ego case ever by putting himself in the main event of OMG THE BIGGEST PPV OF ALL TIME~!!. That didn't happen. He didn't put himself over (as was expected). He didn't put over his best buddy again. No. He put Chris Benoit over. Cleanly. And for that, I thank him for that, my HHHate is now gone.

Besides that, he left to go to RAW... because he thought RAW's title was more important than SD's title. So I'd say it's pretty damn legit to him.

Well, Heyman fucked him over to begin with and knowing Benoit, I'm sure he didn't feel like wasting his time putting up with Heyman's bullshit, so he jumped over and got what he wanted (A world title). By doing so, it makes Heyman look bad since he basically said you will never be the world champion. Very similar to when Bischoff sent Big Show over to SD because he was a loser and then Big Show won the title, that pissed Bischoff and automatically made him look bad.

Instead of bitching about it, look at this way. Raw's title is MENT to be seperate from the Smackdown title. Notice the only person ever to compare to the two, wrestler wise, was HHH. Otherwise no one ever said that a certain title was better. If the world champion was on Smackdown, Raw should have its own top champion too, thats why that belt was put out there. Just be happy that two very great wrestlers, two of the best in the business are on the "top" of the WWE. And before someone goes "its fake, get over it" yeah its fake and actually to some wrestlers out there, titles don't mean a thing. But for the fanbase, every title means something one way or another. So fan wise, its smart to have two champions on seperate brands, and I seriously hope WWE doesn't decide to do a roaming world champion again, it was stupid when only the world champion was going back and forth while the other champions had to stay on their selected brand.

Guest Nater

You may not respect the belt.

Maybe it was given out by Bischoff with no tourney.

Maybe you can count the total holders on one hand.

Maybe HHH is half of the holders.

Maybe you hate HHH.

Fact is, whoever holds the belt gets on every show. Every PPV. Every paycheck written. It may not be worth anything to you, but to the wrestler its more than just money. Right now I'm starting to think that Brock's whine session was half sincere.

It is the #1 belt to have on Raw. That is something you, as a fan are going to have to deal with.