TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewTS

One & Only Smackdown! Thread (3-25-04)

I like how Bradshaw just smiles the whole time he beats down Eddie.

I noticed that too, it was great! That run-in by Bradshaw just confirmed my interest in the character.

This match has probably been Booker's best since he came back from his injury.

And my VCR ran out of tape mid-match. :(

Nearly not as bad of a show that I interpeted from earlier this week. Tons of wrestling (both good and bad) and it did seem more fresh. Booker as a heel will be intresting as I think they'll start a program with him in Cena.

Bradshaw's promo was OK, but I'm not too sure about a feud with Eddie. I guess they need some filler (wait, main event of a Pay Per View is filler?).

This show did succeed in being refreshing. Not everything clicked, but this was much better than the first Smackdown after the initial draft.

This show did succeed in being refreshing. Not everything clicked, but this was much better than the first Smackdown after the initial draft.

Trying to remember, waht was the first Smackdown after the drafts' card?

And I don't mean the one with the "Last Call" for the APA.

Trying to remember, waht was the first Smackdown after the drafts' card?

And I don't mean the one with the "Last Call" for the APA.

My memory recollects Mark Henry doing pet tricks with the rest of the roster standing around going "oooh, aaaah."

Booker T vs. Eddie was OK, but I hated all the restholds in the match.

As for Bradshaw's new character, I'll reserve judgment on that for now as it could either help him improve in the ring and develop into a good heel character, or it could flop like Sean O'Haire's "promising" character did by getting watered down over time and not do anything for his ringwork.

Guest JMA

I like the Bret Hart vibe Eddie has been having as champion. Think about it, Bret had to face guys like Jean Pierre Lafitte (PIRATE-WRESTLER~!...or is it Wrestler-Pirate?) and Issac Yankem.

I like the Bret Hart vibe Eddie has been having as champion. Think about it, Bret had to face guys like Jean Pierre Lafitte (PIRATE-WRESTLER~!...or is it Wrestler-Pirate?) and Issac Yankem.

And don't forget Papa Shango and Virgil.

I liked the show tonight.

I don't understand why they're running with Bradshaw and not Booker. Booker may not be considered main event material, but he's much more established than Bradshaw and would be the easier sell for Judgment Day.

And then there's the question that if someone like Bradshaw can just run out and attack Eddie and get in title contention, what's preventing people like London and Ultimo from doing the same?

Guest Anglesault
Sean O'Haire should come back as Bradshaw's minion.

No need to bring him back.

I don't understand why they're running with Bradshaw and not Booker. Booker may not be considered main event material, but he's much more established than Bradshaw and would be the easier sell for Judgment Day.

And then there's the question that if someone like Bradshaw can just run out and attack Eddie and get in title contention, what's preventing people like London and Ultimo from doing the same?

About 6 inches and 50 pounds. :P

That's pretty much how London got into title contention in my EWR diary :lol:

I don't think a weekly interview segment if Bradshaw called Money Talks would be a horrible idea. Would help with his heel heat, also have Bradshaw be Kurt Angle's financial planner. That's if Angle is supposed to be a heel.

I don't think a weekly interview segment if Bradshaw called Money Talks would be a horrible idea. Would help with his heel heat, also have Bradshaw be Kurt Angle's financial planner. That's if Angle is supposed to be a heel.

No one is sure what Angle is supposed to be anymore. If it were up to me, I'd just have Angle be a tweener.

Guest JRE

Uh...they forgot to show anything between The Dudleys/Bashams match and the main event in Salt Lake City. So we missed Spike/Chavo and the Bradshaw promo.

EDIT: Nevermind- they just cut back into the Cruiserweight match

Keller on Booker's promo:

"That was one of Booker's best promos. He had focus, he was given something to talk about, and he delivered the message believably. I like the potential of how they're positioning this, too. It's easy to criticize the angle as demeaning the Smackdown brand, but as much as Vince McMahon has a softspot for Raw because of its longer history, he obviously isn't booking this angle as a way to hurt Smackdown. He's positioning Booker this way to further establish the split between the two brands and establish Booker as a heel. The angle actually should foster loyalty to the Smackdown brand without hurting Raw's popularity. WWE, though, has to walk a fine line here because they don't want to foster such passionate either/or loyalty to one brand over the other that fans intentionally skip supporting one brand out of loyalty to the other. That's a challenge they still have yet to clearly address. So while the Booker angle is dangerous, it's an angle to get Booker over as a heel, not to make Smackdown seem like something not worth fans' time. This gives Smackdown babyfaces something to prove. Those who have wanted to see Booker get a main event level push, he's getting it now. He's the top choice right now to fill the shoes of Brock Lesnar."

Yes, I'm feeling it! O'Haire could be the Yes-man, which every successful businessman needs.

JBL: "I have more money than all of you in this arena combined. I am a financial genius!"

O'Haire: "He's not telling you anything you don't already know."

Guest Anglesault

But I miss him. :(

And he blew it.

Guest Anglesault

No one is sure what Angle is supposed to be anymore. If it were up to me, I'd just have Angle be a tweener.

It would be like when D-Von was Vince's spiritual advisor.

Guest Mulatto Heat

But I miss him. :(

Sean O'Haire has that much importance in your life?

He was quick to give the heel Booker T. a title match with Eddie. So Bradshaw giving some financial advice in return for say a title match against Eddie would make sense.

Keller on Booker's promo:

"That was one of Booker's best promos. He had focus, he was given something to talk about, and he delivered the message believably. I like the potential of how they're positioning this, too. It's easy to criticize the angle as demeaning the Smackdown brand, but as much as Vince McMahon has a softspot for Raw because of its longer history, he obviously isn't booking this angle as a way to hurt Smackdown. He's positioning Booker this way to further establish the split between the two brands and establish Booker as a heel. The angle actually should foster loyalty to the Smackdown brand without hurting Raw's popularity. WWE, though, has to walk a fine line here because they don't want to foster such passionate either/or loyalty to one brand over the other that fans intentionally skip supporting one brand out of loyalty to the other. That's a challenge they still have yet to clearly address. So while the Booker angle is dangerous, it's an angle to get Booker over as a heel, not to make Smackdown seem like something not worth fans' time. This gives Smackdown babyfaces something to prove. Those who have wanted to see Booker get a main event level push, he's getting it now. He's the top choice right now to fill the shoes of Brock Lesnar."

I liked the heel turn. It fits with today's selfish me first pro athletes.

Guest Goodear

Booker T vs. Eddie was OK, but I hated all the restholds in the match.

Just as a side note, those sleepers and chinlocks weren't rest holds. It amazes me when people look at a wrestling match and seem to take every bit of mat work as resting. The chinlocks and the sleeper where obviously psychologically sound maneuvers used to keep Eddie on the canvas where Booker could use his bulk and strength to controll the smaller Guerrero. That's why they worked in all the 'cut off the rally' spots that worked well enough in my view. Want to call the match too slow, fine. But its not like Booker was grabbing a meaningless hold like Christian used to do all the time.

On Haas/RVD... I know its just me, but I saw some chemistry there that could increase pretty well with a few more matches to allow Haas a chance to get in touch with RVD's different offense. Charlie only looked really awkward feeding into that stepover toekick which isn't any surprise considering. Sure RVD can't sell for crap, but I'd rather see him versus Haas than a whole lot of other people.

Edited by Goodear