TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anglesault

Confidential shows why Angle shouldn't do comedy

The WWF Action dvd/vhs is GREAT for Austin/Angle skits.

However, the first 'Rock Concert' is something I will never get tired of. Rock's deliveries were perfect. In many ways, he drew a lot of old school heel heat.

"Now The Rock would like all of you to do the Rock a favor and . . . KEEP IT DOWN BABY, KEEP IT DOWN!!!"

(Crowd boos)

(Rock starts strumming the guitar just a bit)

"Hey hey hey hey . . . KEEP IT DOWN!"

However, the first 'Rock Concert' is something I will never get tired of. Rock's deliveries were perfect. In many ways, he drew a lot of old school heel heat.

"Now The Rock would like all of you to do the Rock a favor and . . . KEEP IT DOWN BABY, KEEP IT DOWN!!!"

(Crowd boos)

Rock's disasociated inflated delivery of everything was just gold.

Crowd: BOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Rock (smiling like he's coked out of his mind): Oh yeah! Oh yeah! We're having a Rock Concert! Ha Ha!

Guest drdrainoscott

Can anybody post some of these skits online? I never got to see the Rock concert and would love to, and I have always loved the Austin/Angle skits from 01.

Guest Anglesault
Nah, not really the watch segment in particular. Just in general, I found the RVD/Austin interacting funnier.

What else did they do togther?

I'm shocked that you didn't defend the Angle/Edge "comedy" as funny.

Edge tricking Angle into holding those signs was funny.

That's all I got.

No it wasn't.

Not in the least.

Sorry, I forgot.

We're not allowed to have opinions that conflict with yours.

My bad.

Perhaps you can explain what the hell is funny about WACKY SIGNS~!

I guess they should stop making all comedy shows because nothing will ever be as funny as sitcoms of the past.

NFL? Stop trying! The Dolphins in 1972 were perfect, so no one else can be better than perfect.

Apples and Oranges.

What I'm saying is closer to an aging sports star who has more or less lost his skills embarassing himself and his legacy by going out there and sucking.

Nope, you're saying that something was pretty darned good, so any attempt to re-create a similar tone or elicit laughter shouldn't be made.

(writes letters to all still-active pitchers who have pitched perfect games to plead with them to stop trying)

Austin/Angle skits during the Alliance days, IMO were probably the greatest comedy backstage skits of all-time. And yeah, anyone have any of these skits, I wish I recorded them or something.

Nah, not really the watch segment in particular. Just in general, I found the RVD/Austin interacting funnier.

That's all I got.

No it wasn't.

Not in the least.

Sorry, I forgot.

My bad.

They said funny insulting things with arrows pointed to Angle.

Duh.

That's all I got.

No it wasn't.

Not in the least.

Sorry, I forgot.

My bad.

Duh.

And IIRC, Angle had no clue derogatory things were being said about him on those cards . . . that's the humor in WACKY SIGNS~!

That's all I got.

No it wasn't.

Not in the least.

Sorry, I forgot.

My bad.

Duh.

And IIRC, Angle had no clue derogatory things were being said about him on those cards . . . that's the humor in WACKY SIGNS~!

Plus he had a goofy smile on his face while it was going on from looking at old pictures, because Edge had put the pictures on the other side of the signs.

Guest Anglesault
I guess they should stop making all comedy shows because nothing will ever be as funny as sitcoms of the past.

NFL? Stop trying! The Dolphins in 1972 were perfect, so no one else can be better than perfect.

Apples and Oranges.

What I'm saying is closer to an aging sports star who has more or less lost his skills embarassing himself and his legacy by going out there and sucking.

Nope, you're saying that something was pretty darned good, so any attempt to re-create a similar tone or elicit laughter shouldn't be made.

I'm saying that any attempts to recreate Austin/Angle are stupid because Kurt clearly no longer has it and the bad attempts (Edge, Lesnar, Cena) are just pissing all over Angle/Austin.

I'm saying that any attempts to recreate Austin/Angle are stupid because Kurt clearly no longer has it and the bad attempts (Edge, Lesnar, Cena) are just pissing all over Angle/Austin.

So you're saying that any attempt to make Angle funny is trying to re-create the June-July 2001 segments.

Guest Anglesault

So you're saying that any attempt to make Angle funny is trying to re-create the June-July 2001 segments.

Yeah. Rather than use Angle in a useful way, they've were deperately looking for someone that Angle had Austin level comedic chemistry. There's no other reason for not just packing it in after the Edge idea bombed.

At least that's how I see it. They were trying to recapture magic.

Guest Anglesault

At some point, you have to come back to reality.

Edge and Benoit were bad feuds because they tried to make them funny. It didn't work. (In fact, in the Edge feud, it totally ruined the purpose of the feud, because Edge wasn't elevated at all, mostly, IMO, because Edge made the feud such a joke that two clean wins over Angle weren't seen as a conquest.)

That should have been their cue to not try it with Lesnar and Cena.

Besides that, their main job is to find a way to make money for the company. Third Grade Level humor won't (and didn't) do that. So, unless you have some kind of serious pay off (which Angle/Austin did) for all that bad comedy (which Cena and Edge didn't) it's wasting time and resources.

The Rock in early 2003 was probably the funniest shit I've ever seen in my life.

Leavin...Sacramento...Sacramento, ??? (forgot this part)

Leavin...Sacramento...Sacramento, there I go...

You've got some fat ass women and Rock's just gotta say no..

Well I might take plane, I might take a train...

HOW DO YOU PEOPLE LEAVE HERE? YOU MUST BE INSANE!

I'm leaving...Sacramentoooo, Sacramento I won't stay...

But I'll be soon to come back when the Lakers beat...the KINGS IN MAY.

However, the first 'Rock Concert' is something I will never get tired of.  Rock's deliveries were perfect.  In many ways, he drew a lot of old school heel heat.

(Crowd boos)

Rock's disasociated inflated delivery of everything was just gold.

Crowd: BOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Rock (smiling like he's coked out of his mind): Oh yeah! Oh yeah! We're having a Rock Concert! Ha Ha!

Dude, that's the best description ever! He did play like he was totally fucking coked.

He played that character SO FUCKING GOOD. The fans realized how fucking funny he is so they started cheering him like a month after he came back and then they were totally for him at Backlash.

By which one?

Anything that makes any wrestler look goofy entertains me, so all of them. I hate the "GRR I'MMA HURT YOU~" character that all of them have taken on.

Guest Anglesault
By which one?

Anything that makes any wrestler look goofy entertains me,

Aha.

So, you watch wrestling every week in hopes of seeing a cartoon or D-Level sit-com.

To each his own.

Leavin...Sacramento...Sacramento, ??? (forgot this part)

Leavin...Sacramento...Sacramento, there I go...

You've got some fat ass women and Rock's just gotta say no..

That and the entire Toronto rant were awesome.

Guest Adrian 3:16
Edit: I didn't like Angle and AUSTIN competing for hugs from Vince...

:huh: Damn, I've never heard anyone say they didn't laugh at them competing for hugs. My favorite was the time they were arguing backstage while Vince was out in the ring with Regal. Regal shook Vince's hand, which somehow led to a nice manly hug. Austin and Angle see it on the monitor and both stare in shock, putting their differences aside because Regal is now a common enemy. I was holding back tears I was laughing so hard at that one.

And Evil Hollywood Rock in Toronto might just be the funniest promo of all time.

Guest Anglesault

:huh: Damn, I've never heard anyone say they didn't laugh at them competing for hugs. My favorite was the time they were arguing backstage while Vince was out in the ring with Regal. Regal shook Vince's hand, which somehow led to a nice manly hug. Austin and Angle see it on the monitor and both stare in shock, putting their differences aside because Regal is now a common enemy. I was holding back tears I was laughing so hard at that one.

Anytime insane Austin and idiot Angle agreed on something (Like, blaming Debra for Vince leaving) was when it went from "Great" to "Fucking awesome"

Anytime insane Austin and idiot Angle agreed on something (Like, blaming Debra for Vince leaving) was when it went from "Great" to "Fucking awesome"

The cowboy hat incident was great too, with Angle wearing the little hat and thinking he was a real cowboy while Austin and Vince just stared at him.

"Badges?! We don't need no stinkin badges!"

I just about lost it when he said that.

I think it's the Austin DVD and they show some of the segments being taped and they show Austin, Vince and Angle cracking up like when they tried to play the guitar and having to start over and retape. Good thing they taped them!

Edge and Benoit were bad feuds because they tried to make them funny.

There was a comedy feud involving Benoit??????

Did I miss something?

Guest Anglesault

Did I miss something?

Fall 2002. Both men were blithering, bumbling idiots.

Did I miss something?

Fall 2002. Both men were blithering, bumbling idiots.

Benoit put Angle's medals down his pants. LOLOLOLOL!!