TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JoeDirt

Favorite mask angle?

What's your favorite angle involving a mask? Maybe Chris Jericho taking all the luchadores masks in WCW? Or Dean Malenko dressing as Ciclope in that battle royal?

Or maybe Undertaker disguising as Kane, or maybe DDP dressing as La Parka and beating Randy Savage? What made you mark out the most at the time?

As much of a HUGE mark I was for Jericho's WCW heel run, I'd have to go w/ DDP dressing up as La Parka . . . partially because for the next few weeks they acknowledged La Parka getting the victory over Savage . . . not DDP.

I just have to add another one which is from a RAW before Summerslam in 1997. HHH is standing in the ring waiting for Mankind to come out and Chyna is outside the ring. Mankind is in the ring dressed like a cameraman (but Foley is still wearing the Mankind mask so it's not much of a mystery) and drills HHH with the camera. JR yells "The cameraman! The camerman is attacking Helmsley!"

I loved the Ciclope angle, just because I was watching Slamboree with a lot of my anti-Jericho friends. He was the absolute, most hated wrestler on the planet to us back in our mark days. Except for Brandon. Brandon LOVED Jericho, and in an effort to see his hero keep the CW title, decided to root for the biggest loser in that battle royale.

He rooted for Ciclope.

Best. Mark-out. Ever.

I guess it doesn't literally have to be a "mask", either. I remember Steve Austin dressing as a ring crew worker and trapping Vince Macmahon inside the steel cage on the Heat before the Breakdown PPV.

Nash and Hall using Villano masks in order to sneak into Nitro was fucking hilarious. They really should've taken it a tad bit farther, considering that you've got two guys over 6'6" tall pretending to be luchadores.

Edge & Christian as Los Conquistadores. Making their awesome gimmick reek of even more awesomeness.

Guest Choken One

Eddy Guerrero forcing the Luchadors to unmask (backs to camera)

Eddy: One of you stole my money! SO i need to unmask you

Luchador #1 Unmasks

Eddy: Nope

Lunchador #2 unmask

Eddy: Hey, you are a nice looking guy, you dont need the mask esse

Lunchador #3 Unmasks

Eddy: PUT IT BACK ON!

Dean Malenko as Ciclope. Seriously. It's one of my favorite moments in all of wrestling history, mainly because it was the most emotionally captivating angle in either of the Big 2 at the time. Sure, Austin/McMahon was still entertaining, but Malenko/Jericho had raw emotion to it.

Notice the pop when Malenko unmasked? Worcester fans did me proud.

Edge & Christian as Los Conquistadores. Making their awesome gimmick reek of even more awesomeness.

i loved when they were being interviewed...

- Conquistador: DOS!

This wasn't really a Mask angle, but It fits within The Context of One opponent disgusing himself to fool another. Shortly before WM 15 on Raw, Goldust came out and was scheduled to face Kane (who was feuding with HHH at the time). Kane came out and was standing In The ring when suddenly "Goldust" pulled out some sort of Bazooka Fire Cannon out from under his robe and shot Kane In the face with a blaze of fire. "Goldust" then revealed himself to have been HHH. Either HHH did such a good job Imitating Goldust's mannerisims, or I just wasn't paying much attention when he came out. Either way, I marked out huge for this angle for whatever reason.

Guest Mosaicv2
Dean Malenko as Ciclope. Seriously. It's one of my favorite moments in all of wrestling history, mainly because it was the most emotionally captivating angle in either of the Big 2 at the time. Sure, Austin/McMahon was still entertaining, but Malenko/Jericho had raw emotion to it.

Notice the pop when Malenko unmasked? Worcester fans did me proud.

your welcome, Corey :)

How many matches did Malenko wrestle as Ciclope? Was it just the battle royale?

Yep. He won the battle royal as Ciclope, then unmasked and beat Jericho for the Cruiserweight title, I believe.

It was all a tainted conspiracy led by Jo Jo Dillon and all the cruiserweights were in on it. Dean Malenko was NEVER on the list of challengers in the battle royal.

I just finished a Chris Jericho comp so I have some background on the subject matter.

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes
Black Scorpion that was Flair or that cowboy gimmick Dusty Rhodes did when he was banned from NWA/WCW for beating up Tully Blandard.

Ah! The Midnight Rider!! (washes eyes with battery acid). Black Scorpion angle was cool....when I was a kid. Now it's just rediculous.

This wasn't really a Mask angle, but It fits within The Context of One opponent disgusing himself to fool another. Shortly before WM 15 on Raw, Goldust came out and was scheduled to face Kane (who was feuding with HHH at the time). Kane came out and was standing In The ring when suddenly "Goldust" pulled out some sort of Bazooka Fire Cannon out from under his robe and shot Kane In the face with a blaze of fire. "Goldust" then revealed himself to have been HHH. Either HHH did such a good job Imitating Goldust's mannerisims, or I just wasn't paying much attention when he came out. Either way, I marked out huge for this angle for whatever reason.

yeah HHH looks exaaaaaactly like Goldust here, he got it perfect.

It's on the Best of Raw DVD in the extras section

The Fake Mr. Wrestling 2 vs Mr. Wrestling II

This reminded me of one...

Hayabusa II (Mr. Gannosuke) vs. H (Hayabusa/Eiji Ezaki)

Sure, it was painfully obvious that Hayabusa II was different, but I saw a recap of the angle on one of the FMW DVDs I have (I think it's either on The Judgment or Flying Assassin: Hayabusa). The two gelled EXTREMELY well together, and got me into the little bit of puro I dig right now (junior work).

When The Dynamic Duo got their heads shaved by the Von Erichs. Not really a one-night angle (like most of the other ones presented above) but it was just so cool how long they stayed masked. I remember reading one of the Apter mags, and it had an article about how one of them (Adams, I think) was re-shaving his head because he "wanted to see why he hated the Von Erichs everytime he looked in the mirror" and convinced Gino to do the same thing.) Just an awesome angle, and one that led to the Chris Adams 'blinding' angle that was cool before Gino went to the "Squared Circle and Coke Pile in the Sky"

as for the hhh/goldust thing, a year prior to that, goldust dressed as hhh to face owen hart in a european title match. it was supposed to be hhh, but then dustin came out (complete with big fake nose) and the two wrestled. Owen won and commisoner slaughter decided that owen won the title by beating dust somehow. so when they did the reverse a year later, it was kinda cool.

and ciclope was a real luchadore who wrestled for wcw for a time. dean happened to disguise himself in order to gain revenge on jericho.

this reminds me of an angle before the uncensored 98 match with dean v jericho (dean lost and decided to "go home")

jericho at the time had just unmasked juvy, so he wore the mask to humilate him further. on a thunder, dean challenged jericho right then to a title match. jericho came out with the mask on, and dean defeated him, but then Dean dedcied to pull of the mask, revealing LENNY LANE. I loved that angle, especially when Lenny kept asking for compensation for his help. then during the slamboree intros, Chris says when intoing lane "give me back my loverboy tape lenny" i thought that was funny for some reason. Lane kinda does look like jericho and when I met him at the wwa ppv in las vegas, he looked a lot like him. the other wrestlers noticed my chris jericho shirt(including disco inferno who had to tell me the story of how he introduced jericho to his wife) and asked lenny to do the arrogant cover pose. I jokingly asked Lane to pose for a phot with me and pretend to be jericho lol

anyways back from my tangent, the dean-jericho feud was a brilliant angle that never really had a good blowoff except for special ref dean costing jericho the cw title to juvy at road wild 98. I loved the whole conspiracy victim thing. I made my own conspiracy victim sign and used to carry it around my high school and show it to teachers who gave me a bad grade, no lie.

Guest Astro

The Masked Marvel showing up unannonced at a 1930's Wrestling Tourney and beating several established men in one night, creating a sensation.

as for the hhh/goldust thing, a year prior to that, goldust dressed as hhh to face owen hart in a european title match. it was supposed to be hhh, but then dustin came out (complete with big fake nose) and the two wrestled. Owen won and commisoner slaughter decided that owen won the title by beating dust somehow. so when they did the reverse a year later, it was kinda cool.

Slaughter said that Goldust did such a TREMENDOUS job acting as HHH, that he actually "became" HHH (like how actors "become" the characters they play) and decided that since Owen beat "HHH" -- he would get to keep the title.

"It's me Austin! It was me aaaaaaaall alooooong!!"

Uninspired, sure, but I just loved the whole execution of it.