TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
nl5xsk1

Political debates

What does everyone think of trying to segregate the political talks and debates into a folder other than current events? I keep going into that folder to find something current that's worth reading and responding to, but more and more frequently it just seems to be 'conservatives' vs. 'liberals' battling in a big war of words. I don't come to a wrestling-based message board to be educated on how horrible Bush is, or how much of a tool Kerry is, etc. If we could keep all that in one folder, those of us that want to avoid the debates altogher could do so.

Just my two cents.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I'll vote Mole on this one as well. The political eye poking and hair pulling is always set off by a quoted article or something to that effect, plus it's an election year and that's all that's in the news right now. What kind of a current event are you looking for?

I don't come to a wrestling-based message board to be educated on how horrible Bush is, or how much of a tool Kerry is, etc.

I'm sure a lot of people don't come to a wrestling board for that. I'm also sure that most of them don't go into the Current Events folder. Or if they do, they run out screaming and covering their eyes after about five minutes...

If we could keep all that in one folder, those of us that want to avoid the debates altogher could do so.

It's already in one folder: CE. CE is for politics, as well as newsworthy regional, national, and international events. In an election year (especially considering how hotly-contested the last election was, and the bitterness that still lingers on both sides), people are going to be cranking up the anti-Bush or anti-Kerry rhetoric.

Basically, if the topic doesn't seem like something that's to your liking, don't click on it. If the folder seems like something that's not to your liking, don't go into it. I'm not saying those to be a prick, but it's just common sense.

It's already in one folder: CE. CE is for politics, as well as newsworthy regional, national, and international events. In an election year (especially considering how hotly-contested the last election was, and the bitterness that still lingers on both sides), people are going to be cranking up the anti-Bush or anti-Kerry rhetoric.

Basically, if the topic doesn't seem like something that's to your liking, don't click on it. If the folder seems like something that's not to your liking, don't go into it. I'm not saying those to be a prick, but it's just common sense.

Points taken, and understood. (and, no, you didn't sound like a prick). I'm just going to have to make it a habit to skip the CE folder more, I guess. And maybe avoid the ones that MikeSC starts, because he seems to start a thread with an ambiguous title, and only once it's opened and read is it realized to be a political conversation.

What kind of a current event are you looking for?

I dunno, things like the major local news (e.g. brush fires in Colorado, or that huge highway fire in Conn.) or when there's major national news (e.g. highway shootings last year). Maybe the occasional fluff piece that gets moved to General Chat right away. I just feel like the conservative-liberal war is like the Hatfields and the McCoys, and the two sides will never agree so it's just dizzying to try and read through.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Oh don't worry, I think it's annoying as hell also, but only because all politicians are crooks, and some folks like to pretend that their favorite ones aren't. You can always start your own threads, too..

The folder is called "Current Events". What are people supposed to do? Post an article and then not comment on it? Or comment on it in a nonpartisan way? Come one now, how much can one say about brush fires in Colorado? If that's all the folder had no one would visit it. Besides how can a folder be calle "curretn events" and not include political debate? Political debate is current events. If you want brush fires or Bennifer watch CNN.

Personally, I think the posting of editorials has gotten out of hand.

Yeah, I agree. It wouldn't be so bad if the sole purpose behind them wasn't to start the 500th debate over how evil gay marriage is or how many meals Bush has taken out of children's mouths with his tax cuts.

I DO wish someone would discuss John Kerry's military history. I've heard he served, but I don't know which war it was in.