TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianChris

The 2004 Stanley Cup Playoffs thread

I think the Conn Smythe would either go to Iginla, Primeau, and Khabibulin. Calgary, Philadelphia, and Tampa Bay would not be in their spots right now if it wasn't for those three guys, if Philadelphia can win tonight and make it to the Stanley Cup Finals, then Primeau is pretty much a lock no matter the result.

I think the Conn Smythe would either go to Iginla, Primeau, and Khabibulin. Calgary, Philadelphia, and Tampa Bay would not be in their spots right now if it wasn't for those three guys, if Philadelphia can win tonight and make it to the Stanley Cup Finals, then Primeau is pretty much a lock no matter the result.

So even if if Calgary beats Philadelphia, Primeau still gets it over Iginla or Kiprusoff? This isn't like Giguere, where he came in goaltending for the #7 team and swept Detroit, won the 5OT game with Dallas, swept Minnesota allowing one goal, and dragged New Jersey to 7 games. That was a feat that deserved the Conn Smythe. The Flyers would have to win the Cup for Primeau to deserve it over either Flames guy. Oh and Martin Gelinas too, forgot about him. He's a contender.

I think the Conn Smythe would either go to Iginla, Primeau, and Khabibulin.  Calgary, Philadelphia, and Tampa Bay would not be in their spots right now if it wasn't for those three guys, if Philadelphia can win tonight and make it to the Stanley Cup Finals, then Primeau is pretty much a lock no matter the result.

So even if if Calgary beats Philadelphia, Primeau still gets it over Iginla or Kiprusoff? This isn't like Giguere, where he came in goaltending for the #7 team and swept Detroit, won the 5OT game with Dallas, swept Minnesota allowing one goal, and dragged New Jersey to 7 games. That was a feat that deserved the Conn Smythe. The Flyers would have to win the Cup for Primeau to deserve it over either Flames guy. Oh and Martin Gelinas too, forgot about him. He's a contender.

Craig Conroy deserves some thought as well. I didn't include him the other night, but he's still been a big piece of the Calgary puzzle.

Primeau has been excellent, but no more than should be expected from a captain. By no means should he win it if they don't make the final. And even if they make the final he will need a hell of a performance and need to outperform Iginla, Kiprusoff and Conroy to get it if Philly loses.

I don't consider Gelinas a legit contender although he does have some clutch goals.

I would actually say the biggest omission on your list is Brad Richards, who has arguably been the best Lightning player. Richards leads all players on his team in ice time, has 5! game winning goals and is a plus 8. He's been better than Lecalvier, marginally better and at no worst equal to St. Louis, and I don't think Khabibulin has faced the pressure to warrant the Conn Smythe.

On top of that, Danny Markov has carried the Philly defence on his back this postseason and should (be he won't) get consideration were they to win.

Non Stanley Cup winning MVP's:

Roger Crozier, Glenn Hall, Reggie Leach, Ron Hextall, J.S. Giguere. The only non-goaltender there is Reggie Leach and in 76 he set a record that still stands today of 19 playoff goals, which came in just 16 games.

If there ever was a player in the past few years who could have won the Conn Smythe (and who was actually more valuable than the man who did win it) without his team making the final was Peter Forsberg in 2002. Lidstrom got it that year which was a farce considering Steve Yzerman carried that team on one good knee from down 2-0 after the opening two games at home to Vancouver to the Stanley Cup.

2-1 win for the Lightning to eliminate Flyers.

Lightning/Flames in the finals. If you told that to someone 2 years ago...damn.

Flames in 6. And Tawren, 2 years ago? If you told me that at the begining of THIS season I'd tell you you're crazy.

:lol: Good point.

But hell. Those are some pretty big team turnarounds in a quick time. Just thinking about it, it boggles the mind.

I want to not be pissed about the Flyers losing, since Tampa is the better team, but they could have won that. They committed too many turnovers, couldn't stop a TB power play to save their life and shot 1 out of every 2 pucks high and wide.

Too much depth from Tampa in the end though. Primeau couldn't play against Lecavalier, St. Louis, Richards, Modin and Fedetenko.

I like Tampa in 6. Just so many scoring options that at least one of them will show up each game. This series is going to be a bitch for traveling on these teams.

I bet Chuker has been waiting to skate away from the conference trophy for a long, long time. Man, I LOVE that tradition...

Yes, and Iginla carrying the Clarence Campbell trophy off the ice pretty much seals their fate.

Lightning in 5.

Incidentally, Andreychuk will play his first game in a Cup final on Tuesday...after 1752 regular season games, a record.

Big congrats to The Tampa Bay Lightning tonight on there win that sends them to the finals. Speaking of the finals I think The Calgary Flames vs. The Tampa Bay Lightning will make for a great final round for the stanley cup, Im hoping this one goes seven games and 3 or 4 overtimes in that 7th game if it happens, but now I am asking for to much :D

Incidentally, Andreychuk will play his first game in a Cup final on Tuesday...after 1752 regular season games, a record.

...which is why people are happy for him. Andreychuk is a surefire Hall-of-Famer, and it's always nice to see those guys at least compete for the Cup.

Who caught the finale of NHL2Night? They ran old clips, got all misty-eyed, and turned out all the lights on the set. So I guess they don't know if they're coming back or what. Hm.

Why would they be finishing after the Conference finals?

(Canadian here, for the record)

Who caught the finale of NHL2Night? They ran old clips, got all misty-eyed, and turned out all the lights on the set. So I guess they don't know if they're coming back or what. Hm.

Why would they be finishing after the Conference finals?

(Canadian here, for the record)

Well part of it is that coverage shifts to ABC I guess, the other half is that I think the show got cancelled? Seeing as there might not be an NHL in October maybe ESPN cut the show from the schedule just to be safe. They all said their final goodbyes in a really final matter.

It was due to the power of Hulkamania, brother! That's the first time I saw him at the Ice Palace. I was at home watching him.

They said the Hulkster does that alot of games too get the crowd pumped up.

I'd love to see Jordan Leopold win the Cup to go along with the NCAA Championship.

Calgary in 7.

Guest nWoCHRISnWo

The only ones who are candidates for the Conn Smythe are Iginla, Richards, St. Louis, and Gelinas in my opinion, Gelinas is a stretch though.

And Edmontonian here, LOVING the Flames right now. Almost everyone around here is going nuts for the Flames too, not much hatred that I can tell. my entire school is rooting for them.

Anyone have a full list of players who've won the Stanly Cup and NCAA championship?

I know Ken Dryden did. Pretty sure John Madden, Marty Turco, and Ed Belfour did has well.

The reason I ask is the guy in my sig has the opportunity to do so.

Guest cobainwasmurdered
<-- Predicts Tampa in 5.

You're on. Flames in 6.

If Tampa wins I stop calling you Agnes, If the Flames win you change your Screen-name to Agnes.

I'll go with Flames in 7, just because I want a game 7 to really enjoy.

If it doesn't go 7, I still like the Flames, and I'd love to see them win in 6 to see them celebrate on home ice.

I think they're eliminating the ESPN 2 shows for the NHL and NBA because they tend to duplicate the postgame shows, Save some money and all that.

The scary thing about those clips is how consistent Melrose's greasy mullet has been...