TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianChris

The 2004 Stanley Cup Playoffs thread

Who caught the finale of NHL2Night? They ran old clips, got all misty-eyed, and turned out all the lights on the set. So I guess they don't know if they're coming back or what. Hm.

I think they're eliminating the ESPN 2 shows for the NHL and NBA because they tend to duplicate the postgame shows, Save some money and all that.

The scary thing about those clips is how consistent Melrose's greasy mullet has been...

But NHL2Night IS the postgame show...

And yes, through leather jackets, regular suits, ugly suits, and various facial hair configurations, the greasy mullet of Barry Melrose remains.

What did this guy ever DO? I know he coached the L.A. Kings when they lost the Stanley Cup (with a mullet of course), but did he ever do anything else? He just sits there going "Ooh the New Jersey Devils are da greatest team in the NHL eh" but does he ahve any real qualifications?

EDIT: I'd laugh if that Cheech guy ^^ there, never posts again.

<-- Predicts Tampa in 5.

You're on. Flames in 6.

If Tampa wins I stop calling you Agnes, If the Flames win you change your Screen-name to Agnes.

Bah. Very well. I was hoping for the Flames to surprise me and win the thing, but now I guess I must root against them...

The goaltenders could also be nominated for Conn Smythe as well.

Not Kiprusoff. He has had several bad games.

The goaltenders could also be nominated for Conn Smythe as well.

Not Kiprusoff. He has had several bad games.

He's had many good games as well...his GAA is under 2, even with the bad games. And you could say that he's the key to the Flames' success, as they're 11-1 when he gives up 2 goals or less, and only 1-6 when he doesn't.

I'd definitely consider him if he has a good series.

Tampa will use speed to get around Calgary's defense, which won't work, as Vancouver and San Jose found out.

Tampa has more depth and more consistant scorers. Plus, a lot of their players are hot right now.

With the exception of penalty killing, you've got to give Tampa the edge in every aspect of the game. Goaltending, offense, power play....Tampa is better at all of it. That's why I'm picking them.

The only doubts I'm having are that I've predicted Calgary to lose in every other series they were in, but they always manage to win. But it can't happen again....

Tampa is deep, yes, but Calgary has beaten three very good teams by exposing their flaws.

Vancouver: Goaltending

Detroit: Team Speed

Sharks: Intangibles (mostly a killer instinct)

The Bolts are lacking on the PK, so Calgary will make the most out of their opportunities. Calgary will beat Tampa on the wall, and use cycling better than Philadelphia.

Tampa is deep, yes, but Calgary has beaten three very good teams by exposing their flaws.

Vancouver: Goaltending

Detroit: Team Speed

Sharks: Intangibles (mostly a killer instinct)

The Bolts are lacking on the PK, so Calgary will make the most out of their opportunities. Calgary will beat Tampa on the wall, and use cycling better than Philadelphia.

How can you say the Bolts are lacking on the PK when they completely shut down The Flyers PP which was red hot going into the series and (correct me if I'm wrong) was one of the best Power Plays in the league throught the season?

The only way Tampa is going to beat Calgary, if Kippy plays a bad game...

Kippy won't play 4 bad games in one series.

The only way Tampa is going to beat Calgary, if Kippy plays a bad game...

Kippy won't play 4 bad games in one series.

Or if Tampa gets one lucky break in OT.

Which means they'll need OT in game seven for that break.

Guest Salacious Crumb

Is anyone else getting sick of ESPN whining about the Flyers not getting into the Finals?

Haven't seen anything about it, but I chalk that up to not watching ESPN hockey coverage anymore.

I'm surprised Melrose isn't nominating Brodeur for the Conn Smythe.

Guest Salacious Crumb

The opinions shows like ATH and PTI have been an endless stream of whining since last week that the Flyers had to be in the Finals for it to be interesting.

Well, Wilbon said he'll be watching some of it to see how Jarome Iginla does. He also said that the 9,000 who showed up in Philly to watch Smarty Jones practice would be about 2,000 more than would show up to watch Tampa/Calgary, so fuck him.

You think that they'd want to help promote the games that are on their own network rather than tell everyone that they're not going to watch it and neither is anyone else.

Because the panelists are all know-nothing, blubbering fools.

ATH is a joke, as I can't think of anyone who knows dick enough about hockey in order to positively be able to criticize the finals. FFS, none of them were going to watch anyway.

PTI is a laugher now, as they only cover hockey when everyone else does. (Bertuzzi incident, incident in Columbus a few years ago, etc.) and even that ends up not being talked about for the full alloted time. Kornheiser, I don't even think watches sports anymore, and Wilbon should be jacked that Iginla is 'representin'' in the SCF.

Hmmm, you mean someone from the Dallas or LA newspapers isn't interested in the Stanley Cup? I'm astounded! And same with Bob Ryan, who'd rather fellate an NBA player than talk about hockey? No way! I'd think that at least Paige would have a passing interest, he at least pretends to like hockey.

And don't get me started on the PTI idiots ... they're more interested in promoting themselves than any sport.

Guest Salacious Crumb

I still like ATH. PTI is almost unwatchable these days now that Wilbon has to defend any black athletes race baiting no matter how stupid and uncalled for it is. I'm surprised that he wasn't all over Barkley for agreeing with Bill Cosby on yesterday's show.

Kornheiser, I don't even think watches sports anymore, and Wilbon should be jacked that Iginla is 'representin'' in the SCF.

Eventually Wilbon will realize that Iginla is African-Canadian, and cease to care...

I never liked ATH.

Kellerman is annoying, but Stat Boy isn't much better.

Mariotti is an idiot, Paige is senile, Plaschke is whipped, etc. The only one I remember even remotely liking was Cowlishaw.

What a crappy opening to the HNIC broadcast. If EVER there was a year to air "The Chance May Never Come Again," this is definitely it.

Oh come on! R-E-S-P-E-C-T! R-E-S-P-E-C-T! Yeah!

Well, alright. ;)

Loud crowd in Tampa. Go Tampa Go! Yeah!

She's botching our anthem...

well at least it was better than Jann Arden's

edit: and there's too...

sad...

I bet you that most of those Lightning "fans" never heard anyone from Calgary...

bandwagoners.

I'm sure it is no worse than it is here in Calgary (and surrounding area). All these idiots with car flags yet they can't name anyone but Iginla, Gelinas, and Kiprusoff. They go on to say "been supporting since 89! wooo!". They aren't real fans, oh no, because when the season starts they won't know. Where were all these fans during the regular season? WHERE? WHERE?

I hate bandwagon fans so much.

I still agree with your post, though.