TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Corino 1000

10 year anniversery

Guest BANKYWOOD
exactly...It was always about George and Paul but his egotistical ass wouldn't accept the fact and made his VASTLY over rated music and then HIRED (Yes you heard me) Chapman to kill him. The Catcher in the Rye affect was Yoko's idea.

It wasn't a lunatic or Nixon or Stephen King...it was completely John Lennon's idea.

I sure hope this is an elaborate joke.

This thread has made me hate Choken One (yes you heard me!) even more than ever.

Guest cobainwasmurdered

Foo Fighters are better? Ugh. I like the Foo but they aren't better.

They put a few really good songs on an album and the rest just comes acrosss as filler IMO.

Nirvana albums such as "Nevermind" was solid from start to finish and while Kurt's lyrics were out there they still managed to strike a chord with the angst ridden teens.

Nirvana didn't get big just because of MTV. They got big because of the message they were putting out, because of the time period, and because they were talented.

Foo Fighters are better, AIC was Better, PJ was better, Soundgarden was better

Foo Fighters: One great song, the rest of it interchangable generic crap.

Alice In Chains: Tolerable when doing acoustic stuff, ridiculously over the top when they do hard rock.

Pearl Jam: Tepid seventies arena rock crap. An updated version of Kansas.

Soundgarden: The best of the lot that you mentioned. I don't think they're as good as Nirvana, but the argument could be made.

By no means do I think that Nirvana are the greatest band ever, or Kurt Cobain was a god. However, they function as an important gateway to a lot of kids for discovering music that may have slipped under their radar, because their success proved that good music doesn't always come from the typical sources.

My opinion of Nirvana is that they managed to release one borderline-brilliant album with In Utero, two really good ones with Nevermind and Unplugged, and everything else they've done is nice, but nothing special.

Guest JericholicEdgeHead

This has nothing to do with Cobain's death, but everytime I think of Nirvana now, I think of an article I read in Maxim music magazine a couple of years ago where it said Poison's Greatest Hits outsold Nevermind one year (can't remember the year), that brought a smile to my face.

Guest Corino 1000
What happened to Pearl Jam?

Same thing would've happened to Nirvana. And Kurt didn't kill himself.

Indeed he didn't! It was Courtney Love....fuck that bitch!!!! :firing:

Good Lord. Courtney is barely capable of dressing herself. You really think this woman could organize and execute complicated murder?

Yes I do think she organize a murder like that....The two sucide notes one in Love's handwritting...huh...huh!!!! Anyway Courtney Love went fucking nutz after that. Maybe cause she killed her husband?????????????????

The fact that MTV had the audacity to say that "Cobain was the Jimi Hendrix of this generation" is reason enough for me to hate him.

The fact that I thought his music sucked and he was overrated are just coincidence.

I liked Nirvana. But after the asshole died (and yes he is an asshole for killing himself when he has a young daughter to raise...and not to mention LEAVING COURTNEY alone to raise her) they were praised as the greatest band ever...but they're not. All of a sudden "Smells Like Teen Spirit" was the greatest video ever...but it's not.

There's no doubt they were a good band, and that they've had a lasting impact. But it's been 10 years and I just don't care anymore. They wouldn't even crack my top 20 bands.

Just another case of a guy being a legend for killing himself. And that's not saying he couldn't have been a legend in his own right.

Well, if Kurt didn't say hello to the bullet. The group would have faded and their career would have matched New Kids of the Block, flavor of the month(years in the case) music that gets passed over when the new mainstream fad comes out(rap in this case, grunge in NKOTB case).

Anyone who blows their brains out, I don't have much praise to say to them. Well, if they wanted out of their problems fine. But don't act like they are the next coming of jesus. Fuck 'em.

Guest Agent of Oblivion
Alice In Chains: Tolerable when doing acoustic stuff, ridiculously over the top when they do hard rock

You're nuts. Alice in Chains did so much more with their harmonies, and Staley was a thousand times the vocalist Cobain was. He could actually sing too, as opposed to just doing pained baleful yells and whines. AIC had just as good rock hooks, and were pretty much marketed incorrectly due to the time and location. They sort of fit the mold stylistically, but coming right down to it, the songwriting and influences are totally different.

I don't see how they're even remotely over the top, when the lyrics and rhythms are so understated, yet they manage to convey a ton of energy with their sound.

AiC absolutely kills every other band to crawl out of Seattle in the early 90s to some acclaim. I'm a pretty big Chris Cornell detractor though, and view him as the cheese-rock singer who could.

Nirvana's perfectly ok in my book, but I can't listen to them anymore like I listen to Alice in Chains.

Agent, you basically semmed up my feelings about AIC and Nirvana as far as vocals and music goes. The other thing I loved about AIC and Layne was the presence he had. Layne seemed like a dark, brooding character onstage who this ominous aura around him. Watching live footage of Alice In Chains, I can't help but focus everything on Staley. He just pulls you in, whether it be with his stature, his voice, or those craxy Bono-style fly glasses.

The only thing that Nirvana ever did that actually moved me was when they covered Ledbelly on their Unplugged CD. Quiet rage slowly building up until Cobain releases in prolonged shouting = goosebumps. The rest of their catalog, save for "Heart Shaped Box" is ridiculously over-rated. And going back to what I said about Pearl Jam...they were a huge band, slowly faded out, their lead singer started doing pussy acoustic songs, then they got back together and released an album that was met with utter indifference. That was what I envision Nirvana doing, if Cobain hadn't killed himself.

You're nuts. Alice in Chains did so much more with their harmonies, and Staley was a thousand times the vocalist Cobain was. He could actually sing too, as opposed to just doing pained baleful yells and whines. AIC had just as good rock hooks, and were pretty much marketed incorrectly due to the time and location. They sort of fit the mold stylistically, but coming right down to it, the songwriting and influences are totally different.

I cannot stand Layne Staley's voice. I used to be really big into Alice In Chains when I was younger, but something always vexed me about certain songs. I finally realized that on songs like God Smack, Rain When I Die, Sea Of Sorrow, etc., he seems to be doing his best to sound like a frog with a sinus condition. After that, I really couldn't listen to much else of theirs without laughing.

It's odd that out of all the grunge bands that became big, the least typically mainstream sounding of them, Nirvana, became the most popular.

And going back to what I said about Pearl Jam...they were a huge band, slowly faded out, their lead singer started doing pussy acoustic songs, then they got back together and released an album that was met with utter indifference.

You make it sound like PJ broke up, Ed kicked around doing an acoustic tour, then got the band back together.

Ed did acoustic stuff primarily for benefits. And, I think it's pretty clear they're not interested in selling millions of records. They're primarily catering to their core fans. I think "fading out" was a calculated move, to distance themselves from casual "wooo, play Evenflow!" fans.

Since I live near Seattle and have seen Pearl Jam, Nirvana, and AiC and have had to listen to them CONSTANTLY on the radio....

Aic > Pearl Jam > Nirvana.

And going back to what I said about Pearl Jam...they were a huge band, slowly faded out, their lead singer started doing pussy acoustic songs, then they got back together and released an album that was met with utter indifference.

You make it sound like PJ broke up, Ed kicked around doing an acoustic tour, then got the band back together.

Ed did acoustic stuff primarily for benefits. And, I think it's pretty clear they're not interested in selling millions of records. They're primarily catering to their core fans. I think "fading out" was a calculated move, to distance themselves from casual "wooo, play Evenflow!" fans.

I didn't say anywhere that they broke up. All I said was that they faded out, then Vedder decided to do acoustic stuff all of the time, then they released a new record. And why should they care about "casual fans" that want them to play Evenflow? Is playing your most popular song such a bad thing nowadays? If you go to an Iron Maiden concert, do they not play Number of the Beast so "casual fans" won't show up?

Guest BANKYWOOD

Sorry folks, but Alice in Chains is terrible.

There's a reason why Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, and Nirvana were bigger than them - they weren't that good.

I didn't say anywhere that they broke up. All I said was that they faded out, then Vedder decided to do acoustic stuff all of the time, then they released a new record. And why should they care about "casual fans" that want them to play Evenflow? Is playing your most popular song such a bad thing nowadays? If you go to an Iron Maiden concert, do they not play Number of the Beast so "casual fans" won't show up?

That's why I said "you make it sound like". I never said you said they broke up. And Ed didn't do acoustic stuff all the time. He did benefits here & there, at which he did acoustic stuff (mostly covers of other songs). 3 or 4 benefits over a course of 2 years doesn't constitute "all the time" to me.

And there's nothing wrong w/ playing their most popular songs. They still do "Alive", "Evenflow", "Jeremy", etc. in concert. I was trying to make the point that they're trying to distance themselves from the typical drunken frat guys who only know stuff from Ten.

Seeing as I've only been into AIC and Pearl Jam for a few months, I can't make any long term judgments. All I know is that my interest in Nirvana passed with two sit throughs of Nevermind and Unplugged. And Soundgarden just straight out passed me by.

Guest Vitamin X

What would have happened if Kurt hadn't died?

I'm a huge Nirvana fan, but still

see: Cornell, Chris

It's odd that out of all the grunge bands that became big, the least typically mainstream sounding of them, Nirvana, became the most popular.

LIstening to it now, Nevermind is a incredibly polished, mainstream sounding album, which can't be said for albums like Dirt or Vitalogy.

Guest Agent of Oblivion
Sorry folks, but Alice in Chains is terrible.

There's a reason why Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, and Nirvana were bigger than them - they weren't that good.

I'd actually venture to say AiC's sold more albums than Soundgarden, but I don't have any statistics in front of me to prove this.

Nirvana was one of those bands in the right place at the right time moreso than they were actually good. I honestly can't remember the last time I sat down and listened to Nevermind or In Utero beginning to end, since I've heard them SO many times. In terms of a pop rock band catching lightning in a bottle, there's really none greater, but in terms of lasting power..nope. Nothing from that era exists anymore, because it was just pop rock, which has since moved on.

Well, except for Alice in Chains, since they didn't really fit in that mold in the first place, which I think most folks would agree on. They ran their course just the same, but the music was totally different. Different topics, different presentation, different attitude, different riffs than Nirvana, PJ, etc. They were also commercially viable, and got pretty good exposure on everything from Dirt to the box set. Plenty of memorable singles, classic/hard rock radio staples..they did alright in terms of public success.

LIstening to it now, Nevermind is a incredibly polished, mainstream sounding album

But can you say that about any of their other albums? No.

And out of the big two grunge albums that came out around that time, Nevermind and Ten, Nevermind was easily the more esoteric album in terms of sound.

For the AIC fans...

Remembering Layne Staley: The Other Great Seattle Musician To Die On April 5

Alice in Chains frontman overdosed in 2002 at the age of 34.

Surely it's just a coincidence, but it's worthy of mention: On April 5, 2002, exactly eight years after Kurt Cobain killed himself, another tragedy hit the Seattle music scene.

After years of drug abuse, Alice in Chains singer Layne Staley fatally overdosed on a combination of heroin and cocaine at the age of 34. But where Cobain's death was met with a massive public outpouring of grief, Staley's was greeted with a general shrug of indifference and a complete lack of surprise. His band had been inactive for so long, and he'd been written off by so many, that it almost seemed like he'd already died.

It's clear that Staley's unwillingness or inability to kick drugs tore Alice in Chains apart. What's not so obvious is a why his addiction caused people to overlook his contributions to music and why only 200 fans attended a vigil after his death.

The Alice in Chains sound — Staley's darkly melodic vocals and minor-key harmonies coupled with the band's down-tuned chug — is the framework for numerous modern acts, including Godsmack, Taproot, Puddle of Mudd, Smile Empty Soul, Cold and Tantric. Even Metallica, who said they always wanted to tour with Alice in Chains, have some Staleyesque harmonies on their latest opus, St. Anger. And Alice songs like "Them Bones," "Grind," "Would?" and of course "Man in the Box" continue to be rock-radio staples.

Alice in Chains' music has endured largely because it tied together timeless elements of classic rock and metal with passionate, well-crafted songwriting. Moreover, it captured the lifestyles of its members. If Nirvana were about the joy of destruction, Alice embodied the beauty of decay. Their songs were gloomy, cocky, abrasive, unrepentant and confrontational, and Staley frequently sang about the being in the grip of heroin addiction. But there was more to Layne Staley than his incurable drug habit, tortured lyrics and unmistakable voice.

At the end of 1995, around the time Alice in Chains' self-titled final studio album was released, I flew to Seattle to spend a few days with the band for a Rolling Stone cover story. Originally, Layne didn't want to talk. He had been burned by the press too many times, and was interested in maintaining a quiet sort of dignity. However, the magazine wouldn't do the story without him, so at the urging of his bandmates, he relented. I spent around 15 hours with Staley and found him to be warm, friendly and genuinely funny. He wasn't a class clown, he was more like the dude who tells the next joke after the clown has gotten everyone's attention.

Fans got a taste of Alice in Chains' goofy sense of humor during an edition of "Headbangers Ball" shot at a water park. The bandmembers showed up wearing bathing caps, water wings and flotation devices shaped like animals. Later, Staley cast a fishing pole into the aquarium and Cantrell was pushed into the pool — the band was booted from the park soon after.

During my Seattle excursion, I saw a sicker side of Staley's humor when, during a meal at an Italian eatery, the singer gleefully fired off a story about a girl who vomited on his friend during sex.

In some ways, Alice in Chains' frontman was like a mischievous little kid trapped in the body of an agonized artist. He carried a Game Boy around with him, which he played at every free moment. During a walk through Pike Place Market, he told me about maxing out his first credit card at a toy store. At home, when he wasn't playing one of his many video games, he spent hours watching professional wrestling and giggling at cartoons. Yet he also loved creating art, and for our first interview he proudly wore a T-shirt emblazoned with a self-portrait he'd made. He created a similar print of a couple embracing for the cover of Above, the 1995 debut album by his side project Mad Season.

There was a soft side to Layne Staley as well, one that contrasted sharply with his brooding vocals and haunting lyrics. He loved playing with his cats and talked about someday falling in love and having kids. He nearly started crying when he talked about friends who had passed away and expressed genuine compassion when I shared a story about a traumatic death in my family. But being in the music business hardened Staley, and fame scared him.

Like Cobain, he hated being viewed as a public figure. Most of all, he hated being characterized as a hopeless junkie — not because it wasn't true, but because of the effect it had on those he cared about. He was pretty unapologetic about his own drug use and was convinced that his talents and personality defined his character, not his extracurricular activities. He was angry that articles about his usage grieved his mother and sister and made his fans think heroin was cool.

Like many drug addicts, Staley would disappear for days on end. A week after my initial interview, I was desperately trying to track him down for last-minute follow-up questions before my story went to press. I had pretty much given up when the phone rang at 4 a.m. and a sluggish voice at the other end of the line rasped, "This is Layne. I'm sorry I woke you." I groggily tried to assure him that it was no problem, and that I'd love to ask him a few quick questions. "No, I can tell I woke you," he said, then added, "I'm getting ready to do what you were just doing. You can call me later." Then the line went dead.

I don't think he was really planning to do what I was doing. I was deeply content — curled up next to my wife in a warm bed. It seems like Staley was never content and frequently felt alone. It's one of the reasons his vocals echoed with such power and so much pain.

The beginning of the end for Layne came in October 1996, when Demri Parrott, his girlfriend, died from a bacterial infection caused by drug abuse. After that, he pretty much gave up and became the rock and roll casualty he swore to me he would never to be — and for all intents and purposes, he vanished from view.

On "Sickman" from 1992's Dirt, Staley sang, "I can see the end is getting near/ I won't rest until my head is clear." Sadly, nine and a half years later, the body of Layne Staley was laid to rest.

This report is provided by MTV News/VH1.com

Guest cobainwasmurdered

For those that say Nirvana would have faded out if Kurt hadn't died...I have to disagree, not because I'm a huge fan but because I honestly believe they were on the verge of breaking up anyway.

Nirvana isn't the best band in the world. I love Cobain to death but he wasn't the greatest. I find his lyrics and voice to be incredibly haunting and powerful, especially on the Unplugged album. Grohl is great and Novelsic is middle of the road for a bassist.

Alice In Chains is a fantastic band but I'd rank them a notch below Nirvana just because I've never personally been as moved by their music as by Nirvana's. DIrt is a great album though.

Pearl Jam. So overrated. Ten was fantastic, I can't deny that but after that album they've been horrible. They're fun to see in concert though and Vedder is a decent vocalist IMHO.

Soundgarden, I think they're a better band than Nirvana but Nirvana put out better music if that makes any sense.

Mudhoney, STP, and the other "gunge" bands all had their moments of greatness but none matched up to the Big Four.