TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Danville_Wrestling

Was Goldust nearly WWF Champion?

Knowing how Goldust had a lengthy house show and sometimes on-air feud with Shawn Michaels (albeit not on pay-per-view) in 1996 was there any consideration given to him for a WWF title run? I know the idea might sound crazy here in 2004 knowing that the Goldust character is out of the WWF but from its debut in 1995 to 1996 it was pretty over with the fans as a heel act. Would it have really hurt the WWF to put the belt on him in your all's minds? Just came across my mind watching an old 1996 tape yesterday.

Guest Satan

I actually thought that Goldust was going to beat Michaels back then. He was pretty over with the fans, and garnered some good heat. Of course his momentum was killed off for awhile when he got his ass whooped by the Ultimate Warrior and Ahmed Johnson. With EWR in 1996, he gets over pretty damn quick. He went to a 100 and unique. It would of been cool to see a title run, though. His matches were good, because he was a good worker.

Guest Dynamite Kido

He was hella over at the time, but I doubt Shawn would have agreed with them doing this.......

When he returned as Goldust in '98 (the Val Venis feud), I read on Scoops or somewhere that they were going to test him out as a main event face. Of course he was soon tagging along with The Blue Meanie and tangled in that lovely "Who's Ryan Shamrock fucking this week?" storyline, so I guess they gave up on that.

As a heel champion in '96, it DEFINITELY could have worked. You could have had Bret do the big comeback and say that he wasn't going to sit by and watch the company be represented by someone like that. It might have delayed the Bret/Austin feud a bit, but it would have worked, for sure.

Goldust definitely had World Title heat, but it probably wouldn't have worked. Most of Goldust's heat came from his faux homosexuality, and making him the focal point of the company would've had GLAD all over Vince's back. They probably were planning on giving him a ME run (hence his dropping the gay gimmick following the KOTR loss), but without the gimmick, his heat dropped drastically, so they couldn't have given him the belt.

Sure Goldust was over and was a good worker but that alone doesn't justify a title run. The WWF was on the comeback from the Diesel Era and I think it would have been wrong to cut Shawn's reign short and and put the belt on Dustin instead.

No one could out-work Shawn Michaels at the time, thus I think the only viable threat to his title were guys like Vader and Sid who had the immense power and size advantage.

Early in Austin's initial title run, I remember Vince giving Goldust a shot at the title to get Foley psyched up or something. Afterwards Foley gave a promo where he flipped out on Vince for not getting the shot "Come on Vince...GOLDUST???!!!" and Vince like his intensity or whatever and gave him a PPV title shot.

Guest Trivia247

he would have been the type of Heel champion who would make weird stipulations that would make people hesistate before challenging him.

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes

Dustin Rhodes/Goldust is hardly someone that could be able to keep a World Title credible. He was good in mid-card feuds, but anything high in a Main event-like capacity doesn't sit well with me.

Goldust was never even penciled in as a likely choice for the World Title, so i'll just end it at that.

Dustin Rhodes/Goldust is hardly someone that could be able to keep a World Title credible. He was good in mid-card feuds, but anything high in a Main event-like capacity doesn't sit well with me.

Goldust was never even penciled in as a likely choice for the World Title, so i'll just end it at that.

I'd have to disagree with that one.

Dustin was very over in 1992-1993 and I think the WCW fans could've easily bought him as World champ or world title contender. I know he faced Vader a couple times and lost but they could seriously have built a hell of feud there with a hell of a blowoff.

Now in terms of WWF:

I don't think Goldust should've ever been champion but had they milked the gay gimmick for a few more months I think he could've done well in a World Title feud with HBK.

And I'm not saying he should've won the world title but Goldust was very very over once he turned face in 2002 and I'm amazed at how they managed to just drop the ball with him and how he somehow became unemployed two years later

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes

I was gonig by his WWF tenure from 1995-whenever. I only saw a handful of his WCW matches in 1994-95 and sadly he was feuding with the evil southern guy and his crew before being fired I think after the blade job from the great match he had with Barry Darsow in the back of a moving truck.

I was gonig by his WWF tenure from 1995-whenever. I only saw a handful of his WCW matches in 1994-95 and sadly he was feuding with the evil southern guy and his crew before being fired I think after the blade job from the great match he had with Barry Darsow in the back of a moving truck.

Don't knock the Bunkhouse Buck feud.

They had a lot of fun old school brawls. Bunkhouse Buck's selling is hilarious and I love Col. Robert Parker.

Check out their Slamboree 94 match. Not a technical masterpiece or anything but it's a lot of fun to watch.

Goldust was getting a lot of heat from early 96-mid 96 (especially when Dustin had the gay gimmick turned all the way up) and they could easily do a feud where Goldust comes on to HBK and does his usual stuff and then it's revealed he did it all just cause he knew it'd be the easiest way to get a title shot.

Dustin was very over in 1992-1993 and I think the WCW fans could've easily bought him as World champ or world title contender. I know he faced Vader a couple times and lost but they could seriously have built a hell of feud there with a hell of a blowoff.

Contender, sure. But at that point, Dustin was less than no more than 2 years in the company and was pretty much portrayed as a rookie through that whole time, US title runs included.

They had a solid match at the November 94 Clash of the Champions but, by that time, Dustin's push had already fallen by the wayside.