TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anglesault

What in all f'ing hell is wrong with the Yankees?

I'll agree to that. The Marlins simply wanted it more. The Yankees on the other hand looked like they had somewhere else to be the entire series. They played as if they were going to win regardless just because it was the Marlins. Never mind that the Marlins were the best team in baseball during the second half of the season and probably the best in the postseason.

Guest Crazy Dan

Also throw in Beckett pitching out of his mind neing factor in the Marlins winning. Blaming losing the series on one pitcher, is denying that the Marlins were the best team. The Yankees were fortunate to even make the Series last year. Also you can blame the Yankees no longer having the great roll players, Martinez, Brosius, O'Neil, that would get the clutch hits. But on Weaver? Sure he he pitched terribly, but hardly is the main reason for losing.

As for what will be the Yankees serious issues...

1. Their pitching staff is mediocre at best. When your best pitcher is your closer, and Riviera is almost always money, so I am not knocking him, you are going to have problems. Mussina is the best pitcher on this staff, and he is not as dominating as he once was. He will win his games, but come the playoffs when it matters the most, he is not automatic. Kevin Brown is one nasty slider away from having his arm come flying off. In the Mid 90's, he was one of the most nastiest pitchers. Well, he still has some nasty left, but injuries have taken their toll, I am afraid. The last few years he has spent many days on the DL. If he stays healthy, he will win games, but I am not sure he is as good as he once was.

Losing Pettite, who was the Yankees most clutch pitcher during their 4 ring winning years, will hurt. Losing Clemans, who is a prick I will add, will also hurt, as he is showing no signs of slowing down. So now the Yankees are relying on two pitchers who are past their primes, and a bunch of no names. Well I have heard of Cabrera, but c'mon, is he really that dominating??? Once the pitching staff was the key to the Yankees winning, now it is a huge potential liability. That is why I don't think this will be the Yankees year.

2. It used to be the Yankees had a very stacked farm system, and during the season, if there was any holes to fix, the Yankees would find a team with their needs, and trade three prospects to get that player. Well, it is my understanding that the Yankees no longer have that luxary. Now, when the Yankees go fishing during this season, they will not be able to get that top notch trade. And so this goes back to the pitching, the Yankees look like they are stuck with what they got.

All in all, the Yankees hitting will get them to the playoffs. They just have too much talent there. So I see them outslugging many teams as their main means of winning. In the playoffs they will miss Pettite-Clemons. I really think that they do not have the pitching for them to win it all. Look for the Yankees to go shopping for the best pitchers in the free agency pool after the season.

Guest Anglesault
Hey, maybe give the Marlins some credit? They only dominated your team and made them look inferior. It wasn't all Weaver's fault.

Weaver literally single-handedly pissed a whole game away.

If he shows SOME degree of Major League Talent, we have a game seven.

If we're going by that token, what about the game that David Wells cost the team, after he had to be taken out very early because his back was acting up? I'd say that basically cost the team the game, as they had to bring in a bunch of relievers to basically pitch an entire game.

Guest Anglesault
If we're going by that token, what about the game that David Wells cost the team, after he had to be taken out very early because his back was acting up? I'd say that basically cost the team the game, as they had to bring in a bunch of relievers to basically pitch an entire game.

Yankees had eight innings after Wells' back started acting up.

They had no opportunity to fix the game after Weaver worked his magic.

Guest Anglesault

Because in Miami, it's hard to hear several hundred thousand Yankee fans screaming "Don't do it! Don't do it Joe!" from NY.

Guest Anglesault
Well I have heard of Cabrera, but c'mon, is he really that dominating???

Wouldn't know. He's an Expo. And a shortstop.

1. Their pitching staff is mediocre at best. When your best pitcher is your closer, and Riviera is almost always money, so I am not knocking him, you are going to have problems. Mussina is the best pitcher on this staff, and he is not as dominating as he once was. He will win his games, but come the playoffs when it matters the most, he is not automatic. Kevin Brown is one nasty slider away from having his arm come flying off. In the Mid 90's, he was one of the most nastiest pitchers. Well, he still has some nasty left, but injuries have taken their toll, I am afraid. The last few years he has spent many days on the DL. If he stays healthy, he will win games, but I am not sure he is as good as he once was.

A few problems here. First off, Brown, Vazquez and Mussina are all better pitchers than Rivera. Vazquez is the best pitcher on that staff right now. Brown had a back injury which cost him time in 2001-02, but aside from those he really hasn't missed any games.

Losing Pettite, who was the Yankees most clutch pitcher during their 4 ring winning years, will hurt. Losing Clemans, who is a prick I will add, will also hurt, as he is showing no signs of slowing down. So now the Yankees are relying on two pitchers who are past their primes, and a bunch of no names. Well I have heard of Cabrera, but c'mon, is he really that dominating??? Once the pitching staff was the key to the Yankees winning, now it is a huge potential liability. That is why I don't think this will be the Yankees year.

Andy Pettitte had a 12.27 ERA in the 1999 World Series. A 10.00 ERA in the 2001 World Series. His career postseason ERA is 4.05. That's hardly impressive. Clutch performance is a load of crap. Its not an inherant ability. And before you bring up Derek Jeter, his 314/385/469 career postseason line is nearly equal to his 317/389/462 line in the regular season. And if you mean Vazquez, he IS that dominating. Easily better than any Yankees starter from 2003.

All in all, the Yankees hitting will get them to the playoffs. They just have too much talent there. So I see them outslugging many teams as their main means of winning. In the playoffs they will miss Pettite-Clemons. I really think that they do not have the pitching for them to win it all. Look for the Yankees to go shopping for the best pitchers in the free agency pool after the season.

How is the Yankees' pitching so much worse? Brown is equal to Clemens, Mussina is Mussina, Javier Vazquez is much better than Pettitte, and Jon Lieber should pitch better than Jeff Weaver.

Guest Anglesault
and Jon Lieber should pitch better than Jeff Weaver.

Hell, so should Freddy.

Guest Crazy Dan

So you are telling me that there is no such thing as being clutch???

And Jeter's stats might be similiar in the reg and playoffs, but look all the times he was coming through for the Yankees when they needed him most. Which is why one gets nervous when the game is on the line and Jeter comes to bat. I think that there is strong evidence that some players have the ability to come through when their teams need them most, and others who have the tendency to choke.

I think you can go through many sports and pick out the clutch performers, most of them sit in the Hall of Fame.

Sure Andy Pettitte ERA is high, but look at all the times he gave the Yankees a win, when they needed it most, more times than not.

And you are right Vasquez is off to a great start, so I was wrong about him, but Mussina is not setting the world on fire right now, 2-4 6.55 ERA. The season is young, and these are the Yankees afterall...

Because in Miami, it's hard to hear several hundred thousand Yankee fans screaming "Don't do it! Don't do it Joe!" from NY.

Torre needed Yankee fans too tell him not to put Weaver in? Guess, Joe's not has great a manager has I thought.

Hey, maybe give the Marlins some credit? They only dominated your team and made them look inferior. It wasn't all Weaver's fault.

I totally agree with that statement, the Marlins just outplayed the Yankees, yet AS is always talking about how the Yankees or more specifically Jeff Weaver "lost " the World Series as opposed to how Florida won it.

So you are telling me that there is no such thing as being clutch???

Exactly.

And Jeter's stats might be similiar in the reg and playoffs, but look all the times he was coming through for the Yankees when they needed him most. Which is why one gets nervous when the game is on the line and Jeter comes to bat. I think that there is strong evidence that some players have the ability to come through when their teams need them most, and others who have the tendency to choke.

I think you can go through many sports and pick out the clutch performers, most of them sit in the Hall of Fame.

There is simply no evidence that players have an inate clutch quality about them, which makes them better players in certain game situations. Jeter has come through in big situations, but he has also failed in many others. In game 6 of last year's World Series, he came up with one on, no outs in the 8th inning. Down by two runs. He flied to center. What happened to his clutchness? Clutch hitting is defined by luck, and nothing more. As for the Hall of Fame comment, I am hard pressed to think of a single member who resides in baseball's Hall of Fame purely because of clutch performances.

Sure Andy Pettitte ERA is high, but look at all the times he gave the Yankees a win, when they needed it most, more times than not.

Andy Pettitte's "Clutch" Pitching. That's not meant to demean Andy Pettitte, but just to point out that Pettitte, like other pitchers, has bombed at times, despite their "clutch" ability. And honestly, what value is there in being "clutch" 50% of the time? The argument falls flat on its face. Well, MAYBE he'll be clutch? There are teams that build rosters like that. They're called the Brewers, Tigers, and Devil Rays. If a player has the mythical ability to perform in the clutch, why doesn't he do it all the time?

Guest Anglesault

Torre needed Yankee fans too tell him not to put Weaver in? Guess, Joe's not has great a manager has I thought.

Torre put Weaver in because as a starter, he had the stamina to go as long as extra innings warranted.

It's Weaver's fault that he couldn't step it up when his team really needed him.

I totally agree with that statement, the Marlins just outplayed the Yankees, yet AS is always talking about how the Yankees or more specifically Jeff Weaver "lost " the World Series as opposed to how Florida won it.

The Marlins were literally handed a game by one of the worst, most incompetent pitchers of 2003. When you only have to win four, that piece of shit giving the Fish a game means a lot.

Guest Anglesault

How clever.

Eight Grade is that way --------------->

Guest Anglesault

I've never seen anything quite like that play to end the third.

Guest pinnacleofallthingsmanly

It seems that Jerome has lost his fucking mind and gone even further over the top since the last time I've listened to WFAN.

Guest pinnacleofallthingsmanly

I clicked the link and heard him yelling his ass off like he'd lost his mind. I remember him ranting but I don't remember him yelling like a little girl while the hosts toyed around with him.

Handed them the game?!?! Sault, the Yankees were lucky to even BE in extra innings. Pavano outdueled Clemens completely and the Marlins took a 3-1 lead into the 9th inning. If Urbina didn't completely BLOW the game, the Jeff Weaver would never have even had the opportunity to "ruin" the series.

I think it's time to close this topic. AS can create another when the Yankees lose back-to-back games.

I'm inclined to agree. AS was on a roll to start, but the whole thing ran out of steam as they actually started playing well, thus reducing AS' opportunities to bitch.

Plus, the WS was discussed to death when it happened, and I don't want to hear AGAIN how Jeff Weaver sucks and cost them the Series and should die. From now on, talk about the Yankees in the TWiB threads, please.

Thread closed. Farewell my friend. If anyone has a problem with this, PM me.

Guest Anglesault

I was away for the weekend, stopping only to watch the games.

Is what I'm hearing correct? Kapler and Nixon got their suspensions killed? Holy fucking shit.