TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Museite

TSM Primary Music Influences

Out of all the various genres of music which do you listen to the most. Btw I'm going for generic ones I'm not going for specific sub genres  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Out of all the various genres of music which do you listen to the most. Btw I'm going for generic ones I'm not going for specific sub genres

• Pop
    • Rock/Indie (all types)
    • R&B/Soul
    • Hip-Hop/Rap/Other Urban
    • Dance/Techno/Electronic
    • Reggae/Ska
    • Folk/Country
    • Jazz/Blues/Funk
    • Classical
    • Other (if other then post and specify)

Guest Museite

If you come under OTHER then post what that is, or if you vote for a different category and wish to be more specific then post and do so.

Guest Museite

Correct me if I'm wrong because my knowledge of the evolution of heavy metal is somewhat lacking, but I would have thought the main genre that Heavy Metal comes under would be rock?

Guest Museite

Lol ok...it does say Rock/Indie (all types) but you all can take it to mean Heavy Metal/Punk Rock/EMO etc etc etc, i hope this doesn't happen with the Urban genres B-)

Um, Hip Hop is mainstream RnB, Rap, Dance Hall, and the like.So RnB is what in your def? Classic shit like Chaka or new shit like Alicia?

Because there is two types of R&B going under the same name.

Reggae/Ska

They shouldn't be together, completly different kind of music.

Jazz/Blues/Funk

Funk is more upbeat then the other two and shouldn't be together.

I picked other for Jam bands.

Guest El Satanico

polka

I really don't know what to pick. I like just about everything, but I guess I slightly lean towards "rock".

This is like the thing you check on the Columbia House CD club - generic and weirdly linked to the point of uselessness.

I'd check "rock," but what does that mean? Slayer? Creed? The Velvet Underground? Pavement?

Heavy fucking metal is DEFINITELY more than just "rock." First off, metal has its roots in blues and classical more than it does in rock, and considering a metal band (say, Slayer) will sound very little like a rock band (say, Guns N' Roses)...yeah.

Other it is.

Heavy fucking metal is DEFINITELY more than just "rock." First off, metal has its roots in blues and classical more than it does in rock, and considering a metal band (say, Slayer) will sound very little like a rock band (say, Guns N' Roses)...yeah.

Other it is.

explain.

Guest Museite
With the absence of metal on this list, I call for the head of the thread starter

Presents head on silver platter for your delectation

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Yeah, I don't get the classical/blues reference either. Even in its early stages, the protoplasmic dirty blues-rock metal bands picked up more from their rock contemporaries than they did Muddy Waters and Buddy Guy.

I get the classical reference with the wide world of majestic metal, but it's still usually two guitars, a bass, a drummer, and a vocalist playing high-energy rock music at the very core.

Guest macheteofodin

Why are Jazz, Blues and Funk all put together? They all sound completely different.

I would say Metal is my prefered genre. I agree it's got rock in it, but metal is an entity by itself. I mean if you put Reggae and Ska in a seperate category other than rock, you might as well do the same with Metal.

Well, let's say that Sabbath started metal, which they did. At the time, rock music had a blues influence, but it seemed that the blues-y sound wasn't there. Black Sabbath was a blues band before they were metal, and they just happened to heavly distort the music and play it a little faster. Oh, and since Tony only has two fingers, he had to dumb down the music a tiny bit.

And the classical influence shouldn't need to be explained. Listen to Apocalyptica, which is a string quarter that covers nothing but metal songs.

I'm surprised we (As in Metal heads) didn't nitpick on the tiniest genre of music (swamp metal, doom metal, mathcore, power metal)

I'm surprised we (As in Metal heads) didn't nitpick on the tiniest genre of music (swamp metal, doom metal, mathcore, power metal)

We wouldn't want to get picked on again for knowing all the nuances of our genre's family tree.

For simplicty's sake, metal would go under the rock umbrella. Laz is right about the blues influence in early metal, but early rock was very blues influenced as well. This can all be fixed by splitting apart the jazz/blues/funk option. Stick jazz by itself, combine blues/rock/metal, and move funk over with r&b/soul.

Personally, I chose rock as my primary influence. For arguments sake, couldn't you move the whole punk family under pop? The early American punk scene (the whole New York CBGB's scene in the mid/late 70s) was lead by the Ramones, who basically took classic pop song structure and just spead it up and dumbed down the musicianship, and the Talking Heads, who took traditional pop and just weirded it out as much as possible.

The other thing is that you could argue that you could move the whole hip hop umbrella under rock. Many of the early DJ's were cutting up all kinds of different records, but THE record to use to steal a beat off of was Queen's "Another One Bites The Dust." Even more tangible, the first rap act to break through, get mainstream attention, and establish the genre was Run DMC. Many of their instrumentals have strong rock influence.

Well, let's say that Sabbath started metal, which they did. At the time, rock music had a blues influence, but it seemed that the blues-y sound wasn't there. Black Sabbath was a blues band before they were metal, and they just happened to heavly distort the music and play it a little faster. Oh, and since Tony only has two fingers, he had to dumb down the music a tiny bit.

And the classical influence shouldn't need to be explained. Listen to Apocalyptica, which is a string quarter that covers nothing but metal songs.

from allmusic.com:

Black Sabbath has been so influential in the development of heavy metal rock music as to be a defining force in the style. The group took the blues-rock sound of late '60s acts like Cream, Blue Cheer, and Vanilla Fudge to its logical conclusion, slowing the tempo, accentuating the bass, and emphasizing screaming guitar solos and howled vocals full of lyrics expressing mental anguish and macabre fantasies. If their predecessors clearly came out of an electrified blues tradition, Black Sabbath took that tradition in a new direction, and in so doing helped give birth to a musical style that continued to attract millions of fans decades later.

don't tell me sabbath was bluesier than eric clapton.

even aside from those already mentioned, let's look at who else was around:

the stones, who, since '68-'69, had returned to a sound STEEPED in blues. 'let it bleed' and 'exile' both have damn robert johnson covers on them. at least half the tracks on 'sticky fingers' sound like harder, distorted blues songs.

early led zeppelin, which i don't even need to explain.

jimi hendrix, who played about as much bluesy stuff as he did anything else.

this is an influence of METAL on CLASSICAL, not classical on metal. also in the late 60s/early 70s we had the art-rock movement spawning, which had a good bit of the classical influence going on.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I think you're going to see the classical/metal influence most often in the big-ass black metal orchestrations. Emperor's very definitely a metal band as opposed to a string quartet.