TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KingPK

This Week in Baseball

Anybody seen the Grand Slam by LeCroy in the Twins vs Jays game?

I came back downstairs just in time to see the replay. I had a feeling the Jays would blow it, which was fine by me, since it meant a save for Nathan.

As for Schmidt's game last night, it wasn't on WGN or FSN, so I didn't see any of it, but when a guy's on like Schmidt clearly was, there's not a whole lot you can do.

And Sammy's really heading for the DL? Man, how embarrassing must that be since it's a result of a sneeze. Clearly the injury was there before and the sneeze was just the straw that broke the camel's back, but embarrassing, all the same.

Guest Anglesault

Torre and Mattingly are worried over Jeter's "lower body movement" COUGHstickingouttheassCOUGH.

Nothing quite like Moises Alou getting the walk-off extra inning homer against his old man's squad. Things were pretty tight all the way and there were a few points where it seemed it wasn't the Cubbies' night, but they put it together and grabbed this one.

Guest OctoberBlood

Acevedo: 7 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 11 K against the Rockies tonight.

Best start of his career. Hopefully, a sign of things to come from him. He's always had the talent, but he kept leaving the ball up and over the plate; if he doesn't do that, and gets the ball down, he can pitch, and he can pitch very well.

Guest OctoberBlood

And Danny Graves continues to suck.

4 Blown Saves. I think that's 2 blow saves on the 1st pitch of the game. SWEEEEEEEET

I guess it's safe to say Pat Burrell is back this year. Hit his 3rd HR in the last 2 games tonight, batting .320+, around 10 HR's, 36 or so RBI's, and 1 fan-fucking-tastic full extension diving catch tonight.

Guest Anglesault

Every team is good at something. The Yankees excel at leaving men on base.

ANNOUNCER: Feeling run down? Tired? Nothing just doesn't seem to go your way at the plate? For that prolonged slump, try facing the 2004 Tampa Bay Devil Rays, brought to you by Major League Baseball, the same fine people who brought you the 2003 Tigers, and the 2003-2002-Hell, every year of their existence Devil Rays. Just listen to these testimonials:

Mark Bellhorn: "Before, the only way I could get on was by taking a walk. With the Devil Rays, I can jack it to the opposite field anywhere!!"

Johnny Damon: "Not only is Tampa a good place to visit, their pitchers are so accomodating; they ALWAYS put it right in the sweet spot!"

Pedro Martinez: "Want to listen to me whine about my contract? No? I don't want to talk then."

Fat, Obnoxious Tampa Fan: "I wish I could heckle opponents for a GOOD team."

Possible side effects: Strained neck from watching balls sail into the stands, headaches if you were dumb enough to draft a Tampa pitcher onto your fantasy team. If you are experiencing a losing streak to Tampa for over 4 games, seek a trade, or just fold the team immediately.

I believe Boston has you beat on that, my friend.

Al, want to help us out here?

I wish the Jays would just make Frasor the closer. He can't be any worse than Adams and it could be another nice story like when Koch came up a few years back and set the rookie record for saves. Or, he could pick up right where Adams left off today, but we'll never know unless Carlos Tosca tries.

I believe Boston has you beat on that, my friend.

Al, want to help us out here?

I am not sure where to find a team stat on LOB, so we will try a different method here. A team with a lot of runners LOB will have a low number of runs scored for their On Base Percentage. So we will look at where the teams rank in runs scored, and compare their rank in OBP.

The Yankees are 9th in OBP, and 15th in runs. Seven places. It seems they are leaving runners on base often.

The Red Sox rank 7th in OBP, and 9th in runs. Two places. It seems the Sox are performing to expectations.

The Reds are 13th in OBP, and 18th in runs. Five places. Bad, but not as bad as the Yankees.

The kings of LOB, however, are almost certainly the San Francisco Giants. The Giants rank 15th in OBP, but an abysmal 27th in runs scored. That efficiency is absolutely terrible. Of course, when you study the team it is easy to spot. Bonds gets walked, and left on base.

On the opposite side, the Angels rank 12th in OBP, but first in runs.

Guest OctoberBlood
No, Cincinnati does. Easily.

Ok, here we go again. Dunn needs to prove me wrong.

Casey singles. Kearns draws a 10 pitch walk.... Dunn.... hit by pitch.

Ok, DLO's turn! Loaded, 1 out, bottom of the 10th!

Guest OctoberBlood

DLO SINGLES!!!!!! YES! Reds Win!

Yeah, do the bounce fellas. :)

[Note: DLO: 4-5, 2 RBI ... he has his swing back)

Guest Anglesault
The Yankees are 9th in OBP, and 15th in runs.  Seven places.  It

Six.

Edited by Anglesault

Guest Anglesault

We strand another three with another assist from a useless Ump. Joe gets himself thrown out

The Orioles are only 2 games back of Boston at 20-16. Playing well in Seattle (which they haven't done at all since Safeco opened) with excellent pitching from the Starters is a good sign. Rodrigo Lopez gets the start tonight and it should be interesting to see how well he transitions from long reliver to starter.

Hard to believe though that through 36 games this year, its just an improvement of 2 games over last year (18-18).

Phillies are now a half game ahead of the Marlins.

RS RA Pythagorean W/L

Phillies 199 162 .595

Marlins 165 172 .500

The Marlins are finally coming back to Earth.

I couldn't disagree with this more, Al. Of course, it's true that based on their play the Marlins should have a worse record than they do. But I don't look at it like they are coming back to earth. They just aren't playing to their potential right now. Take a stroll through the lineup.

I know tables get messed up, so the stats are listed in the order of BA, OBP, SLG, OPS

Luis Castillo: .239 .310 .283 .592

Alex Gonzalez: .200 .224 .338 .562

Jeff Conine: .260 .300 .366 .666

Ramon Castro: .139 .200 .266 .466

Now look at career numbers:

Castillo: .290 .365 .352 .717

Gonzalez: .242 .288 .386 .674

Conine: .287 .348 .451 .799

Castro: .216 .294 .370 .664

So, on any given night 4/9 Marlins entire Starting Lineup is playing so well below what they are capable of, is it any wonder that no runs are being scored? I don't think they are "coming back down to earth". I think they have nowhere to go but up. It can't get any worse than this, especially for these 4.

June 2 vs. NYM I think is when the Marlins will turn it around for the rest of the season. That's AJ Burnett's return, and I think it's the going to save the season. Enough, hopefully, that a quality catcher can be traded for by the trade deadline, because this Castro/Redman platoon is a disaster.

"It's fucking luck!"

It's bad pitching.

Country got a hanger and knocked it out of the park.

The Twins have a shitload of injuries. Mauer, Koskie, Dougie Alphabet, Stewart, Punto. That's the corner infield, catcher, LF and leadoff man, and utilityman.

Let's look at the other side of the coin.

Juan Pierre (2004) .329/.387/.411/.798

Juan Pierre (car.) .309/.360/.374/.734

Hee Seop Choi (2004) .238/.355/.552/.907

Hee Seop Choi (car.) .218/.342/.445/.787

Mike Lowell (2004) .343/.417/.643/1.060

Mike Lowell (car.) .277/.345/.480/.825

So they have three people playing above their career averages in the starting lineup as well. (I could be douchey and include Cabrera, but it is a pretty safe bet he isn't going to regress).

Guest OctoberBlood

PAUL WILSON: 8 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 0 BB, 6 K.

SEASON: 6-0, 3.59 ERA

Wilson has been completely awesome this season. Graves just locked down the save, so Wilson is now 6-0 with a 3.59 ERA. That is just simply getting the job done. He is not over powering, but he's scrappy. He changes speeds alot. He keeps batters off balance, and pitches on the corners. When he does that, and doesn't walk guys, he can be a very solid pitcher, and so far this year, he's been better than solid, he's been great.

Oh, just one note - Watch Baseball Tonight, or sports center, and look for the web gems, because the Reds defense was GREAT tonight. Some very nice plays.

Danny Graves, btw, is now the all time saves leader for the Reds.