TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Besus

Randy Orton/Shelton Benjamin

Guest Besus

Do you think Orton is going to retain? or Do you think Shelton will become the

new Intercontinental Champion?

I'm not sure if Orton is... or Shelton will...

Guest Anglesault

I need the dates of Rock's title reign, Summerslam this year and Armageddon last year before I can answer that.

I'm going with Shelton around SummerSlam time.

I'm thinking Orton retains at Bad Blood through cheating, and Benjamin has a title chase all the way to Summerslam where he finally wins it in maybe a 2/3 Falls match. I'm really looking forward to the matches.

Randy is the best IC champ in a long, long time. I really think they should keep it on him, at least until Summerslam, and do a final blowoff match where Orton's cheating and trickery finally fails him.

This shit writes itself, so I don't see how the RAW crew should have any trouble following through with it. Shelts would be the right guy to do that upset as well.

UYI

Randy is the best IC champ in a long, long time. I really think they should keep it on him, at least until Summerslam, and do a final blowoff match where Orton's cheating and trickery finally fails him.

I wouldn't go that far, but I would admit he's been the IC champion with the best push in a long time.

6 months Orton has been I-C champ now. As crazy as this sounds, I would like to see his reign go for the rest of the year. Now I know that sounds like too much, bug think about this. It may be the Honky Tonk effect. The people have been waiting so long for someone to get the belt off of him, that whoever gets it off of him, will become that much more of a star.

And yeah, he beat Van Dam for it... when Foley was the referee.

I like this....hopefully Gerwitz and his crew don't screw this up.....hell if they can't write this simple storyline then they really need to go...

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes
I like this....hopefully Gerwitz and his crew don't screw this up.....hell if they can't write this simple storyline then they really need to go...

And with that comment, we have put the preverbial whammy on the writing staff to fuck this up.

I really don't get the recent Orton love or the over the top Shelton love (he's good...not great or phenomenal). I can't see any match between the two (in the near future) being all that good.

Guest TigerDriver91

I am also really looking forward to matches between these two young superstars.

Orton's been improving in the ring, Shelton was great in the ring on Smackdown, and both have a ton of momentum going into the match. Randy's had a huge successful reign, while Benjamin's in the process of being pushed to the moon. Why wouldn't people be excited for this feud? Oh, and I say Benjamin wins the title at Bad Blood for no particular reason.

Guest ManKinnd

We're all ridiculous. All of us, with *very* few exceptions, hated Orton. We hated his push. How could WWE be so stupid? Now I read that he's the best IC champ in years, he should keep it the rest of the year, we're looking forward to his matches.

So the WWE succeeded when we were sure they couldn't?

Guest Choken One

I really have started to get into Orton...I feel he's finally fucking figured out this wrestling thing (he should, as he's been teaming with Flair and HHH and working with Benoit, Shawn and Foley for the last 6 months...which is five guys who put on ****+ on nearly daily basis).

His mic work has gotten smooth and not so awkward, he appears very confident and relaxed in his persona now.

Benjamin, while he hasn't shown he has the GREAT mic skills, but he has the charisma and acting chops that make up for it. He strongly reminds me of sting in a way (besides the Stinger/Blinger splash and the huge push/upset streak against the biggest name in the company at early age)...in the fact they either couldn't cut a promo but their charisma and ability pushes them.

I believe they are pushing Orton's "long" reign (of 7 months once you get to Bad Blood) and will pro-long the run to at least SummerSlam...where it SHOULD be a 2/3 falls match (im a mark for that gimmick). Shelton doesn't NEED the title right away...Orton's character right now...NEEDS it.

I still wouldn't put it pass them to have Orton go over Benjy twice and give Eugene the "holy shit" upset (ala Rick Steiner over Rotundo)

Guest Salacious Crumb

No, I'd still say his segments still manage to be more hit than miss and you can attribute his better inring work to the workers around him, not Orton himself. Also seeing limited time in tag matches covers his flaws as well. And how can he even be considered a great I.C. champ when he rarely defends the damned belt? Orton is still the weak link in Evolution as I think Batista has still shown more overall improvement this year.

Orton is improving - I can't say that I look forward to his matches though. I also think that Shelton vs Orton will be vaguely reminiscent of the criticism heaped on Cena / Brock (I didn't see it) in that they might not be able to call a good match between them.

The thing about the long title reign - he doesn't defend it often. WWE put it on him when he was completely un-over, and kept it on him despite being un-over. It's only recently that he has started to become more over (and indeed better in the ring and more competent on the mic), so I think it's fair to say they would have kept it on him anyway. Giving Orton the title was a booking decision rather than in regard to his in-ring work. And as for the Honky-Tonk "it'll be great when someone beats him" mentality - wasn't that the excuse for the Triple H Reign From Hell?

Guest Choken One

The thing is, Benjamin is a better worker then Cena is and I'm really willing to bet that after six months of exposure to greatness...so is Orton.

Another thing...Raw is being written smartly right now and that includes the matches, nearly every match recently involving the Raw 12(Evolution, Shawn, Benoit, Jericho, Edge, X, Benjamin, Tajiri, Eugene) has been spot on...(and don't forget they have a fair share of mid-carders who can play as well...venis, kane,matt, rhyno etc etc)...

I say with a good booked match structure and a hot crowd (yours truely)...the match shouldn't be bad at all. I'm not expecting a **** match but a *** match certaintly is easy to attain.

I'll personally enjoy a Benjamin/Orton title match.

As long as they make the Intercontinental Championship belt seem important in the battle. Not just Benjamin going after Orton and the IC title is a side note.

But that's just my opinion.

I'm looking forward to this match up, I think it'll be decent at worst. I enjoy both of these competitiors work, I'm not expecting to be dazzled by a 5 star match up but i feel this will definatly entertain me. I would like for Orton to retain at Bad Blood and possibly prolong the feud up until Summerslam where Benjamin should finally win the belt in some kind of stipulation bout.

I'm actually really looking forward to Bad Blood at the moment with the three matchs that are on the horizon for it, in the title match it appears that were finally going to havea defense of this belt on ppv that dosen't include HHH. Kane i find pretty damn good for a big man, and after the matchs A-Train and Benoit had last year which were really good Kane vs Benoit should be even better and shouldn't dissapoint.

A HBK/HHH HIAC final blow off would be nice as well. HHH is experienced enough in the cell now to make this something special plus his work rate on the rise again this should be something special. I enjoy there work together, but after this they do need to oll off on match between the two for at least 6-8 months.

Guest Fook
nearly every match recently involving the Raw 12(Evolution, Shawn, Benoit, Jericho, Edge, X, Benjamin, Tajiri, Eugene) has been spot on.

The Raw 12 - twice as good as the Smackdown 6! ;)

As for Orton/Benjamin, I can see a screwy finish at Bad Blood (probably due to Flair interference) leading to a gimmick match at Summerslam. I'd like a 2/3 falls, but with time constraints (it is a dual brand show after all, so more matches) I don't think it'll happen. I can, however, see a ladder match between the two of them at Summerslam. They've already copied the IC title chase story from HHH and Rock in 98, so why not use the same blowoff?

Guest NiTR0

Hopefully this will be the feud over the summer, and maybe the two can build their careers off each other like Rock and Triple H did. I can see this feud continuing to at least Summerslam which will be the match where Shelton Benjamin beats Randy Orton in a gimmick match.

As for the match quality. I can imagine their matches getting better as they go along, but I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't that good. Shelton isn't as good as Edge.

Everyone has their own opinion about Orton, but I've been on the Orton bandwagon for a while now. I was almost ready to jump off when he pulled off the RKwhOops, but he has steadily gotten better and is starting to shine in my eyes.

I'm not sure if this is right or not, but I don't Shelton has lost a match since coming to RAW from Smackdown. That right there is good momentum. I'm looking foward to them two fighting. Worst case is probably **. Best case might be ***1/2 or **** if they work their asses off. It will be a true test to see if the young guns can pull off a great match.

If anything, this feud will allow both men to gain more skills within the ring and improve their promo delivery to a level that can rival that of the top talent. I still think that both men are a bit green, but I'm glad that The IC title isn't on the shoulders of someone who won't elevate it. This belt is the catalyst that these two need to make themselves look more important, and in the long run, improve their games so they can, later on down the line, become tomorrow's main eventers.

As for how the matches themselves will go, they can really be anything from great to okay to awkward to horrible, but I'm optimistic that these two can help each other put on some great matches, and things will only improve with time.

I need the dates of Rock's title reign, Summerslam this year and Armageddon last year before I can answer that.

I think Orton will have held it longer if he made it to Summerslam actually.......

Guest Askewniverse

The Rock's Intercontinental title reign:

Won: Raw is War (12/8/97)

Lost: SummerSlam 1998 (8/30/98)

Armageddon 2003: 12/14/03

SummerSlam 2004: 8/15/04

All dates came from Cawthon's site.