TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kahran Ramsus

Harry Potter & The Prisoner of Azkaban

I figured it was about time to start hyping this film, with it coming out in less than two weeks. Early reviews seem to indicate that this is the first great film of the summer, and they are overwhelmingly positive. I haven't see a single negative review yet.

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=17637

I am really looking forward to this one. PoA is where the book series started the turn towards a darker story, and greatly improved in quality. Couple that with a big improvement at the director position with Cuaron and I am more hyped for this than any other film this year. PoA is also the set-up of my favourite book in the series, GoF, where hell really breaks loose.

I imagine this will be a huge success at the BO as well. It isn't all that popular in the United States, but worldwide the first two films are #3 and #7 all-time respectively.

Not popular in the US? The first movie was #1 at the box office in 2001, barely edging the first LOTR. The 2nd HP movie was #4 at the box office in 2002 behind Spidey, Two Towers, and Episode 2.

I'll probably go see it when I go down to FL in a couple of weeks.

I'm really looking forward to this film. I was looking forward to seeing it on Monday (when it is released in the U.K.) but I can't so I'll have to wait. Probably better, that way I can avoid the kids on the half-term holiday. Anyway, I never had a interest in the Harry Potter until I saw the first two films. That made me read the books and from there I was hooked. The book is fantastic and the reviews seem to be positive. Looks to be a good one.

Guest Salacious Crumb

This should be a great movie as it'll be much darker and paced better than the first two movies.

Early reviews seem to indicate that this is the first great film of the summer

Shouldn't it be Shrek 2? Everybody and their grandmother seems to be praising it.

Early reviews seem to indicate that this is the first great film of the summer

Shouldn't it be Shrek 2? Everybody and their grandmother seems to be praising it.

A lot of critics consider Shrek 2 as merely good, with some flaws.

Guest FrigidSoul

I'm not afraid to admit I've been awaiting this movie for quite some time now. I think they did a great job at casting and I'll be there opening day/night to check it out.

Looks pretty good, but there's no way I'll see it before it's been out at least a week, probably more like two. I hate crowded theaters, they conflict with my constitutional right to yell fire.

Guest OctoberBlood

Shrek 2 was the best of the summer so far. But, I have no doubt this movie could surpass it in my ratings. I can't wait to see it.

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes

The only problem with this one is the new Prof. Dumbledore. Of course, everyone knows the first (Richard Harris I think was the name) died last year, so they had to recast the role.

It's only a problem because I hate having to get used to a character with a different actor from the first (in this case, first two.)

Harry Potter doesn't really interest me. To paraphrase "Office Space", it's not that I hate the franchise, it's just that I don't care.

However, the fiancee loves the series, so I'll be seeing it <insert whipping sound here>. And if it's turning darker, I'll probably enjoy it more. The Philosopher's Stone was much too sugary for me, and the second one was an improvement. So, maybe the third time's the charm, eh?

Guest FrigidSoul
BTW, anybody else see that Brendan Gleeson (Gangs of New York, Troy) has been cast as Professor Moody in Goblet of Fire?

Really? He's a great actor...I haven't seen the two movies you put down that he was in but for those that don't know who this is he was the Sherrif in the movie Lake Placid(where Betty White curses! :o ) and his most famous role to date has to be from BraveHeart as Hamish Campbell

Hamish3.jpg

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes
However, the fiancee loves the series, so I'll be seeing it <insert whipping sound here>. And if it's turning darker, I'll probably enjoy it more. The Philosopher's Stone was much too sugary for me, and the second one was an improvement. So, maybe the third time's the charm, eh?

I tihnk it has to do with them getting more mature. I agree, the first one was way too kiddy, and the second one was a bit of an improvement with more action. Probably by the 4th they will go for a more adult audience.

I'm hyped as shit for this one, probably more then any summer movie I can think of right now (unless Blade:Trinity gets moved up from its fall date).

PoA is one of my favorites of the books (GOF being #1) and I'm really interested to see how dark it gets. Early reports are indicating that this movie is not for kids at all and could border on the horror genre more the anything. I read something a while back on AICN that they were close to getting a PG-13 rating and they had to tune it down a bit. I'm glad to see that they've given The Dementors some originality as early sketches I saw of it looked to be nothing more then a ripoff of The Nazgul from LOTR.

Gary Oldman has the ability to turn in a wicked performance as Sirius Black and I'm interested to see how David Thewlis approaches Prof. Lupin. It won't be the same without Richard Harris, though.

Guest FrigidSoul

the actor they got to replace Richard Harris has a very eerie resemblence when in full make-up. Its just the voice doesn't fit since its not that soft and calming Dumbledore voice...the new guy's is more gruff.

I'm actually rather hyped for this one. I liked the first film in the series, I thought the second was a reasonably big improvement, so I have hopes this film will continue the trend.

As for the new Dumbledore, Michael Gambon is a great actor, so I think he'll do just fine.

I remember when Sir Ian McKellan was in the running for Dumbledor. That would have put him in three of the most popular film series in recent memory, if not ever.

I saw the first two in theaters,a nd I intend to see this one as well. It looks great.

I didn't think Ian McKellan was being seriously considered. I thought it was more like just something people were saying because he had played a similar role.

Guest I Got Banned for Sucking

The Philosopher's Stone was great at the cinema, but it wasn't as good as the book, as film adaptions tend to not be.

I've only seen the Chamber of Secrets in bits and pieces, but liked what I saw.

I'll probably end up going to see the third film.

My main concern with them though is the aging of the film's stars - that's been a problem.

I bought the fifth book on it's release day, but have to go back and read the first four again - but I keeping getting sidetracked. This is about the fifth time.

The Philosopher's Stone was much too sugary for me, and the second one was an improvement. So, maybe the third time's the charm, eh?

When Rowling first started the series (I'm not sure if this is still the case), the idea was that kids would read the first book, and then as the kids grow up, the audience grows up alongside them and the tone of the books gradually becomes more adult as a result. The finale is supposed to be the darkest of the series.

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes
My main concern with them though is the aging of the film's stars - that's been a problem.

How? In the books they age a year for every new one. The movies have been coming out every 7-8 months, so technically, they are ahead of schedule.

It's been more than a year since the last one. Plus books 4 and 5 are huge. They'd have to cut so much it will hurt them, or (and I've heard talk of them doing this) split them into two each. And I'm sure the next books will be as long or longer. So it'll probably be somewhat of an issue.

I read on 411Mania that, while the star are confident that they can do all the films, the producers are worried about them growing up to fast. In the next few years, they may have to replace 1, 2, or all 3 of the kids before they finish the films. I wouldn't particularly like that, as you get attached to the original stars, and it sucks getting used to a new group of stars.

Guest Nanks

Since when have actors not been able to be passed off as younger than they really are??? The Dawson's Creek crew played characters 5+ years younger than themselves for years, to name just one example. I think they'd be absolutely mad to change the cast after 3 or 4 films. It'd fuck it all up.

Guest croweater

They're putting out the Harry potter movies at 1 a year, there's no reason for them to change the actors. Even if they spread out the next couple of movies it won't make that bigger difference.

I'm pumped for this movie. It is where the books REALLY take off.

Does anybody know when the next book is coming out though?